Springfield XD Forum banner

Looking for a nice, inexpensive .22 target semi-auto pistol

4K views 46 replies 25 participants last post by  Snaphook 
#1 ·
I know this is a S/G forum but we also shoot pistols and rifles.
My trusty Browning Buckmark target pistol was stolen last year and the S&W model 22 replacement proved a disaster. S&W is going to repair it for free as it is under warranty. (I recommend registering new guns with the manufacture, it makes things a lot easier when they frack up) I am selling the S&W after I proof-test it.
I am in the market for a new .22 semi-auto target pistol. Currently there are several mass-marketed pistols of the type available. I have a candidate in mind, but am open to ideas. 500 bucks is about the price point I am looking at. Does anyone have some suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
You have a lot of choices for a .22 at that price point. I would go to a gun show or bigger dealer and fondle as many as possible. I have a Browning Buck Mark, Ruger Mark II, Ruger LCR, Sig Saur 1911, and a couple of others. All of the ones I listed I would buy again. The 1911 is not as accurate as the Buck Mark or the Mark II but it sure is fun.

#3 ·
#6 ·
Get another Buckmark.

I've owned both the MkIII and a Buckmark; I sold the Ruger, kept the Browning...and I want another Buckmark.
I agree completely and I am a Ruger guy. Break down a Buckmark and then break down the Ruger. That alone is enough to make me lean towards the Browning if I was only keeping one. Of course there is no chance that I'm only keeping one.

Reactions: Cuda66
#5 ·
I have a TALO 60th anv MKIII stainless target and a standard buckmark target. Trigger is much better on the browning. After adding about $200 in Volquartsen parts to the Ruger it's a better gun but at about $700 now. I'm a 1911 guy so the buckmark is a natural fit. Never really liked the 22/45, just seemed cheap.

#11 ·
At the end of last school-year, my daughter expressed an interest in starting to shoot "real guns," so I promised her that by the end of summer, we'd do so. For long-guns, I got her a new CZ Scout 452 and myself a second-hand somewhat-upgraded Ruger 10/22, and for pistols, she picked out a new Buckmark Plus UDX and myself a second-hand .22/45. In shopping for her, we looked at just about everything, including also the S&W Model 22 and M&P .22, Ruger SR-22, Sigs (even the P938 in .22LR), ISSC .22 "Glock Trainer," Beretta U22 Neos, and even various .22LR revolvers....

I'm no bullseye shooter, but I'm decently accurate with either pistols. The .22/45 feels really nice in my hands, but the Buckmark shoots significantly better - I really love its trigger.

If I had to take my money and put it towards another .22LR "target" pistol right now, I'd pick up another Buckmark.

#14 ·
I've shot the Rugers... not a fan.... (not a bad gun by any means, just not for me). Currently own a Buckmark and would buy another in a heartbeat. (It is my suggestion to anyone looking to get a .22 lr pistol).

If you could find one, an old High Standard target pistol would also be a suggestion.

#15 ·
Seriously look at a Ruger Mark III. Once you learn the take down and re-assembly it's not difficult. Consult youtube, there are excellent videos there, and funny enough after you have learned how and you re-read the instructions that come with the gun, they make sense (but only after you know how to do it).

I recommend going through the effort of taking out the magazine disconnect. It's a nuisance, especially during takedown and re-assembly and it interferes with the trigger a little bit. You search around for a Mark II to avoid the magazine disconnect and loaded chamber indicator but if you have any mechanical aptitude it's not a difficult operation. Get the AGI video on the Ruger Mark xxx pistol which will remove all mystery on the gun.

But....

If you liked the Buckmark and were happy with it, go back and get another.

#22 ·
Seriously look at a Ruger Mark III. Once you learn the take down and re-assembly it's not difficult. Consult youtube, there are excellent videos there, and funny enough after you have learned how and you re-read the instructions that come with the gun, they make sense (but only after you know how to do it).
I'd strongly recommend the Ruger MKIII as well. It's an excellent gun. Ruger has been making countless variants of fundamentally this same model since they began operations back in 1949. You have your choice of the 22/45 which has a polymer frame and grip angle like a 1911 they tell me (sure doesn't feel anything like a 1911). I personally like the traditional Luger-style grips of the steel framed MKIII. You don't have to break the bank on this. They're very reasonably priced and Ruger has EXCELLENT customer service. Trust me on that as I've used it enough to know how good it is. While lacking any written warranty, Ruger has a policy of making it right.

The negative of a Ruger is that it's probably the most difficult to strip & reassemble handgun that you will ever meet. Think of guns like the XD, or Glock, or a Beretta 92 that are so darn easy that you can have them apart & back together again in under a minute. Well, that's not happening with a Ruger MK series. Ruger has a great design in terms of durability, but it's a royal PITA until until you learn the secrets of how to do it. Online videos are great, but they have their limitations. The first time I did it years ago I was watching a video with a stunningly high number of hits -- showing how hard it must be -- and I was about ready to sell the damn thing as a pile of parts. Took me half a week to get it back together. Though it's an incredible feeling of satisfaction & accomplishment when you do get it back together. You don't get such a feeling from Glock as any idiot can put that back together.

Despite the difficulty, I'd still recommend the MKIII as it is a great .22LR pistol that simply can't be beat.

#18 ·
The Rugers are great but yeah, I need a slab side Buckmark UDX in my life. I wish they'd fit them with ambi safeties though. Not that I'm gonna depend on a .22 in a do or die situation most likely, but it's annoying reaching over and thumbing it off with my support hand

#31 ·
Our local city manager just tried to swap me a Buckmark (had NRA grips of some kind) plus cash for my pristine Mod 29 Smith. I declined his offer, as I've become enamored with Ruger Mark III 22/45s. I'd assume I'd be equally enamored with the "regular" Mark IIIs.

I installed the complete VQ accurizing kit on my 10149 and just did the VQ trigger, along with some sear/hammer honing and polishing on the "regular" Target model. Both shoot great and are uber reliable. After a few reassemblies, I have no problem with that process.

#33 ·
Our local city manager just tried to swap me a Buckmark (had NRA grips of some kind) plus cash for my pristine Mod 29 Smith. I declined his offer, as I've become enamored with Ruger Mark III 22/45s. I'd assume I'd be equally enamored with the "regular" Mark IIIs.

I installed the complete VQ accurizing kit on my 10149 and just did the VQ trigger, along with some sear/hammer honing and polishing on the "regular" Target model. Both shoot great and are uber reliable. After a few reassemblies, I have no problem with that process.
Buckmarks are awesome but I'd have called him a retard. And come back with three more to get in the ball park.

#34 ·
Buckmark, hands down the best 22 pistol you can buy unless you want to drop 1500 bucks on a SW41. I've owned a bunch of 22 pistols but the Buckmark is the one I never sell.

#36 ·
That's both expensive to buy & expensive to feed. A retired gunsmith on another forum explained that the 41has a match grade barrel which is marginally smaller than you'll find on run-of-the-mill .22 pistols, so it demands match grade ammo and will not fire anything less.

While I can respect the great precision of the 41, it's still not a beautiful gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.