Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a S/G forum but we also shoot pistols and rifles.
My trusty Browning Buckmark target pistol was stolen last year and the S&W model 22 replacement proved a disaster. S&W is going to repair it for free as it is under warranty. (I recommend registering new guns with the manufacture, it makes things a lot easier when they frack up) I am selling the S&W after I proof-test it.
I am in the market for a new .22 semi-auto target pistol. Currently there are several mass-marketed pistols of the type available. I have a candidate in mind, but am open to ideas. 500 bucks is about the price point I am looking at. Does anyone have some suggestions?

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
You have a lot of choices for a .22 at that price point. I would go to a gun show or bigger dealer and fondle as many as possible. I have a Browning Buck Mark, Ruger Mark II, Ruger LCR, Sig Saur 1911, and a couple of others. All of the ones I listed I would buy again. The 1911 is not as accurate as the Buck Mark or the Mark II but it sure is fun.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts

·
Registered
29,835 Posts
Get another Buckmark.

I've owned both the MkIII and a Buckmark; I sold the Ruger, kept the Browning...and I want another Buckmark.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a TALO 60th anv MKIII stainless target and a standard buckmark target. Trigger is much better on the browning. After adding about $200 in Volquartsen parts to the Ruger it's a better gun but at about $700 now. I'm a 1911 guy so the buckmark is a natural fit. Never really liked the 22/45, just seemed cheap.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Get another Buckmark.

I've owned both the MkIII and a Buckmark; I sold the Ruger, kept the Browning...and I want another Buckmark.
I agree completely and I am a Ruger guy. Break down a Buckmark and then break down the Ruger. That alone is enough to make me lean towards the Browning if I was only keeping one. Of course there is no chance that I'm only keeping one.

Reactions: Cuda66

·
Registered
749 Posts
WeaponExpo has Sig Sauer 1911-22 for $279 in FDE; may be less in black.
Just got my FDE, have not had it to range yet.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Apologies,
Ruger Mk II.
no one wants them, ...
Mine however is still dead accurate (build date 11/09/1986).
mk III, buckmark, sig, koch, or even bursa...

Patience, look for & buy the Mk II,

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
At the end of last school-year, my daughter expressed an interest in starting to shoot "real guns," so I promised her that by the end of summer, we'd do so. For long-guns, I got her a new CZ Scout 452 and myself a second-hand somewhat-upgraded Ruger 10/22, and for pistols, she picked out a new Buckmark Plus UDX and myself a second-hand .22/45. In shopping for her, we looked at just about everything, including also the S&W Model 22 and M&P .22, Ruger SR-22, Sigs (even the P938 in .22LR), ISSC .22 "Glock Trainer," Beretta U22 Neos, and even various .22LR revolvers....

I'm no bullseye shooter, but I'm decently accurate with either pistols. The .22/45 feels really nice in my hands, but the Buckmark shoots significantly better - I really love its trigger.

If I had to take my money and put it towards another .22LR "target" pistol right now, I'd pick up another Buckmark.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I know this is a S/G forum but we also shoot pistols and rifles.
My trusty Browning Buckmark target pistol was stolen last year and the S&W model 22 replacement proved a disaster. S&W is going to repair it for free as it is under warranty. (I recommend registering new guns with the manufacture, it makes things a lot easier when they frack up) I am selling the S&W after I proof-test it.
I am in the market for a new .22 semi-auto target pistol. Currently there are several mass-marketed pistols of the type available. I have a candidate in mind, but am open to ideas. 500 bucks is about the price point I am looking at. Does anyone have some suggestions?

Ruger Mark III (if it's anything like as good as the mark II).

·
Registered
450 Posts
I agree completely and I am a Ruger guy. Break down a Buckmark and then break down the Ruger. That alone is enough to make me lean towards the Browning if I was only keeping one. Of course there is no chance that I'm only keeping one.

Heck, breakdown of the Ruger is easy. Reassembly, on the other hand....

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I've shot the Rugers... not a fan.... (not a bad gun by any means, just not for me). Currently own a Buckmark and would buy another in a heartbeat. (It is my suggestion to anyone looking to get a .22 lr pistol).

If you could find one, an old High Standard target pistol would also be a suggestion.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Seriously look at a Ruger Mark III. Once you learn the take down and re-assembly it's not difficult. Consult youtube, there are excellent videos there, and funny enough after you have learned how and you re-read the instructions that come with the gun, they make sense (but only after you know how to do it).

I recommend going through the effort of taking out the magazine disconnect. It's a nuisance, especially during takedown and re-assembly and it interferes with the trigger a little bit. You search around for a Mark II to avoid the magazine disconnect and loaded chamber indicator but if you have any mechanical aptitude it's not a difficult operation. Get the AGI video on the Ruger Mark xxx pistol which will remove all mystery on the gun.

But....

If you liked the Buckmark and were happy with it, go back and get another.

·
Premium Member
128,000 Posts
S&W 22A

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I can't wait to get rid of my mark III 22 /45 and get a Buckmark.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
The Rugers are great but yeah, I need a slab side Buckmark UDX in my life. I wish they'd fit them with ambi safeties though. Not that I'm gonna depend on a .22 in a do or die situation most likely, but it's annoying reaching over and thumbing it off with my support hand

1 - 20 of 47 Posts