Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a friend that has the whole kit except for the receiver, and am now looking for a reciever and buy the kit from him.

Any idea where to start looking?

EDIT

Found and bought a Springfield Armory receiver and finished my build. Had a lot of help from Medlocks, a shop in Jacksonville, IL that specializes in M1, M14, and M1 Carbines. Great people.

Took it to the range and it shoots great. Can't wait to put more down range.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Ours weight 67 tons, how are you going to have it shipped?

Oh, your talkign about the RIFLE.....

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
We had great results using their stuff. I understand they make a perfect M14 (semi auto) FORGED receiver with no, one or two lugs. Some fitting might be required barreling, it like a .005 short chambered barrel requiring the stuff to torque on properly and finish ream. HB of CJ (old coot)

·
Registered
13 Posts
LRB Arms

762MM Firearms

Fulton Armory

Smith Enterprise Inc. (Try R-guns for these)

Technically, it's M1A-A1, if your talking about an M1A Bush rifle.:)

11B

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found one for $475 at gun show. Am buying the kit from friend and then will buy reciever and put it together.

Will let you know how it shoots.

·
Registered
23 Posts
that is a killer price for an m14 receiver. you did not say what brand, but from the price i could only guess a fulton or armscorp. how close am i? good luck with your build !

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called the Hilltop Gunshop in Colona, IL

at 309-949-2556 and the lady there said it was a Springfield Armory

receiver for $475

Have not decided yet what I am doing.

Aren't the current SA receivers all cast instead of forged? Any other problems with them?

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Twenty years ago, a FORGED receiver was kinda required. The idea was the steel was just stronger and more resilient around the locking lug area. This would be evident over about 25,000 rounds or soos. The rifle kept a very specific headspace.

Nowadays with the newer casting techniques using the much harder/tougher steel alloys available I just don't know which receiver is best. Casting with tough steel might be better than forged? Some help here. HB of CJ (ignorant old coot)

·
Registered
1 Posts
made forged receivers for sale. They've been cast since my first in 1973. If you can get a SAI receiver for $475, jump on it. I don't think Champion's Choice sells SAI receivers anymore, but I could be off a bit on that one. Saw it on another site that they were not carrying them. Call to make sure...but they will be more expensive than the one you have a line on.

Good luck...

Bruce

·
Registered
23 Posts
made forged receivers for sale. They've been cast since my first in 1973. If you can get a SAI receiver for $475, jump on it. I don't think Champion's Choice sells SAI receivers anymore, but I could be off a bit on that one. Saw it on another site that they were not carrying them. Call to make sure...but they will be more expensive than the one you have a line on.

Good luck...

Bruce

nope, they still sell them, just out of stock temporarily. I bought the last one a couple weeks ago. they are the only authorized vendor for sai of receivers only sales. exclusivity to sai. all others for sale you see, come from camp perry at the nationals. people buy them there on sale and sell them later for profit, like hilltop gunshop does. the production floor manager at sai just told me last week that he remembered hilltop buying those two from him at camp perry this year at the booth. they are good friends.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts