Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what I am looking for is a good OWB holster that stays close to your body for good concealment. I will be wearing this in the winter under a coat and/or under an untucked shirt. I will go with the IWB for when I need the most concealment, but I would also like an OWB option. Right now I am looking at the comp-tac paddle holster, but I have never worn a paddle before. I am would like kydex, but I am open to different ideas. Suggestions? Maybe I should look at FIST and Hume a little more too.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also since open carry is an option, I am kind of undecided on retention.

·
Registered
72 Posts
90% of the OWB holsters I make for CCW's are pancake's. They hold the gun in close to the body without compromising grip access. They conceal well and just work. Paddles are good but put the gun out farther away from the body which is great for speed in presentation but bad for concealment.
Fist makes good stuff.....look around and make sure of what will serve your needs the best before you buy. Patience is a necessary evil! :D
Shoot well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the Bianchi Carrylok for CCW. It is a leather pancake type holster with auto retention. It rides close to the body and has excellent retention. To draw all you have to do is slide your middle finger over the release latch when drawing. Works great and the gun will not slip out when running or jumping,(just to test it out). The model is #is 82. I love it.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
I'm with Eric, the pancake style snugs 'em good and close. And for the most comfort, especially if you do alot of sitting and driving, the high rise is the ticket.
For kydex, Blade Tech has new model out that snugs it up good. Also take a look at the Cen Dex line. They come in different heights for your needs.
Blade Tech
Cen Dex

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well competition holsters are quite common. It just depends on what you want it to do. Blade Tek/Cen Dex and other Kydex companies are probably the best for slick Belt Slide style holsters. As a leather guy...I can recommend a good slick kydex rig for IDPA.....as far as approval goes.
Damn near anything you buy nowadays will fit the rules and regs for competition.
Shoot well.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
I agree that the Tucker holsters are great. Considering your need, I think the HUME D.A.H. is a holster to consider. It is very comfortable and easy to conceal.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I use my leather Hume Open top OWB for IDPA and it works fine (I'm not good enough to notice any speed advantage with kydex vs leather). many people in SSP (most shooting glocks) has some type of inexpensive kydex like Fobus or Uncle Mikes, a few had sidearmors and blade-techs. The CDP guys shooting 1911s had more leather than kydex for whatever reason.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Take a look at Galco's Matrix. For the price it’s a pretty nice OWB kydex style holster.

It goes on and off your belt without taking your belt off. It has good retention (although I would not use it for open carry). It’s fast on the draw and easy to re-holster. I'm sure there are better but for the price it’s hard to beat. I would think it would be pretty good for IDPA.

mcb

·
Registered
115 Posts
R/T Performance said:
Galco fletch high ride. Nice and tight to the body foward 15 degree tilt and thumb break
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterG2.asp
I wear a H & K USP full-size .45 every day at work in a Galco FLETCH and it is very comfortable, easy to draw from, and quite concealable under a jacket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts