Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm looking for a good compact (not subcompact) 1911, it will be my first 1911 and am looking for some good brands that are reliable but not to pricey. Any advice or experiences would be great. Also no Ed Brown beavertails, I can't stand'em!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Rock Island & Charles Daily come to mind. I own a SA LW Champion Operator that I think is perfect for CCW all day long, due to the reduction in weight, but it is more expensive.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I don't know what you consider to be "not too pricey," but I would look at the SA GI Champion (4" basic model...no frills) (Springfield Champion 45acp 4" : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com ).

This is a solid, entry-level pistol that will be reliable and accurate, but won't cost you a fortune. Or, save your pennies and when you have enough, look at a SA Loaded Champion which will give you a lot of really desiareable upgrades like a ramped, SS bull barrel, low profile/fixed combat night sights, a MUCH better trigger for carry use, and a much nicer finished pistol including SS and nicer grips.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I own RIA Compact 100% right out of the box, approx 250 round count now. $400 otd.
I own SA champion 4" Park. 100% right out of the box, approx 500 round count now. $500 otd.
I have owned (and still do ) 2 Auto ord. (Thompson) pre Kahr Governments Many Many rounds thru. Avg cost $350 each.
All of the above i would trust my life to...

·
Registered
295 Posts
If you like a blued finish, go with Colt's Commander model 04691, it you like stainless go with model 04091U. Classic, perfect, and no Ed Brown beavertails!

Jim

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
If you like a blued finish, go with Colt's Commander model 04691, it you like stainless go with model 04091U. Classic, perfect, and no Ed Brown beavertails!

Jim
Only problems with the Colts will be the price. For a blued Commander 04691, you are looking at around $750-775 and an additional $50 for the Stainless model. Trust me when I say that they are worth the money...but may be too much to fall into your "not too pricey" category.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SA LW Champion Operator, I have to agree with you on that pick, its exactly what I'm looking for minus the beavertail, is there a way I can get rid of the beavertail? And also how expensive is it?

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
SA LW Champion Operator, I have to agree with you on that pick, its exactly what I'm looking for minus the beavertail, is there a way I can get rid of the beavertail? And also how expensive is it?
You can replace the beavertail grip safety with an aftermarket part that isn't the beavertail design, but the frame is already relieved to accept the beavertail, so it might interfere with the function of the pistol and it will look a little strange going from the beavertail to a non-beavertail part.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the problem with the high beavertail grip safety and your dislike of them? Is it something about the performance of the part or just the appearance. I realize that they aren't the most practical thing for concealed carry, but they really are nice when it comes to the feel of the pistol. It gives you a much higher grip on the pistol which in turn reduces the perceived recoil of the pistol (part. with a 4" barreled .45acp), and it also allows most shooters to point the pistol better.

As for price...the PX9115LP is probably going to run you around $850 (check with Bud's or Able...they may have one cheaper).

·
Registered
366 Posts
I carry a Charles Daly 3 1/2 inch 1911 occasionally. I've had it for a couple years and it's been 100% with everything I've fed it. Fairly accurate too!

--John

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can replace the beavertail grip safety with an aftermarket part that isn't the beavertail design, but the frame is already relieved to accept the beavertail, so it might interfere with the function of the pistol and it will look a little strange going from the beavertail to a non-beavertail part.

Its exactly because i might CC carry it, Ive concealed my friends 1911 with a beavertail just to try it out and i kept deactivating the grip safety when i would sit down, thats the only reason why.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts