Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I hope everyone had a great Christmas or Hanukkah and wish everyone a happy New Year. I currently own one 1911, a RIA government 10mm. Just about everyone had recommended a RIA for my first 1911 and they were right. My 10mm has performed flawlessly and is shockingly accurate for a pistol that only cost me $463! After shooting bullseyes at 10 yards, I jumped to 25 yards and shoot out the brain and heart of my anatomy target. Law Enforcement Targets Action Target MN Center for Criminal Justice Skill Builder Anatomical Target One

I now wish to buy a better pistol in the $750 to $850 range. I am looking at: Springfield Armory. Ruger, Kimber, Smith & Wesson, Paraordnance, and Sig Sauer. I know that Colt is not on that list. The reason is that in my price range they are either GI models or in commander length. I want a government model and ideally it would have night sights although it would not necessarily be a deal breaker if the pistol did not have them. The only aftermarket modifications I would be considering would be a rear battlesight by 10-8 and having the pistol bobbed after I had saved enough money.

What I would like to hear from you are the pros and cons associated with the pistols from each manufacturer such as warranties, customer service, problems with the firearms, or extras such as extended safeties or mag releases etc. For example, I know that Kimber has a poor warranty. I hear a large number of bad things about Kimber BUT NOT from Kimber owners. Similarly, I have never heard of a Springfield owner bragging about his gun or heard others talking about how they cannot wait to by a Springfield.

I have shopped around on: Budsgunshop, Impactguns and Gunsamerica to have a good idea what specific models cost and what they have on them but feel to let me know what I might have missed. If you want to show me a specific model for sale that is great, but the idea of this thread is primarily about getting the most I can within a few dollars of my budget.

I want to thank everyone in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience with me. Oh, I forgot. This pistol will be a home/personal defense carry gun. And if I can squirrel away enough cash I will buy a threaded barrel and a suppressor. The problem with that is unless I buy an Osprey suppressor (and I do not know if that is the best) I would have to pay a gunsmith to raise the sights. I would love to have a great looking gun such as the E series from S&W, but functionality is the most important thing.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Of the ones you are looking at is their one that you like better than the rest? I have personal favorites on the list and some I don't care for that much, but wanted to know if you have a gut feeling about one or two.

·
Registered
29,864 Posts
Alright, my takes:

Of the guns you listed, for me it would come down to a Springfield Loaded or a Kimber Custom II, with the edge going to Springfield because it's a "Series 70" action (no firing pin safety) and, if it's needed, SA's great warranty/customer service. However, if I could get a good deal on the Kimber, I wouldn't think twice. I think that, quality and reliability-wise, they are neck and neck--and I have owned both. I never had issues with either of them, and I bought them both well-used.

I personally wouldn't get a Sig or a S&W, because I abhor external extractors on 1911's. But that's just my personal feeling, there's nothing wrong with the guns beyond that.

I've never held a Ruger that impressed me. They all feel sloppy and loose, with safeties that kinda "moosh" into place, not "click". The black controls on the stainless frames also leave me cold.

ParaOrdnance--they seem to be clearing up their QC issues they had when they moved to the U.S. from Canada. They also have some really good deals going right now. That being said--I'd sooner get the Springfield or the Kimber.

Other options: if you really like your RIA, consider another. They make some with everything you want, under your price range.

The other option I'm going to float out there is: raise your sights, and your budget, slightly and consider a Dan Wesson Heritage--you can find used ones for under $1k.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
A Springfield Loaded is hard to beat.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Dad just picked-up a Springfield 1911 Loaded...his only gripe was the handful of parts he wants to change and that he would rather have had another magazine than the "garbage" holsters they included...

Keep in mind he has owned or owns: a Nighthawk, a Kimber TLE Custom (tuned by Bill Laughridge at Cylinder and Slide) and (2) Ed Browns...he likes the Springfield enough to give it a go...

Its what I am looking at also...my runner-up would be the Ruger SR1911--with some serious parts swappage!

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
The other option I'm going to float out there is: raise your sights, and your budget, slightly and consider a Dan Wesson Heritage--you can find used ones for under $1k.
On my short list. Thanks for the confirmation.

·
Registered
29,864 Posts
On my short list. Thanks for the confirmation.
Very much on the Heritage. I think they're one of the better pistols you can get in the $1200 or so range...I'd take one over a TRP all day, any day.

There was a used one for $850 not long ago on a local board...I missed it by about five minutes. :(

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
Very much on the Heritage. I think they're one of the better pistols you can get in the $1200 or so range...I'd take one over a TRP all day, any day.
That one was also on my short list. Was. ;)

Reactions: Cuda66

·
Banned
20,993 Posts
Hi all. I hope everyone had a great Christmas or Hanukkah and wish everyone a happy New Year. I currently own one 1911, a RIA government 10mm. Just about everyone had recommended a RIA for my first 1911 and they were right. My 10mm has performed flawlessly and is shockingly accurate for a pistol that only cost me $463! After shooting bullseyes at 10 yards, I jumped to 25 yards and shoot out the brain and heart of my anatomy target. Law Enforcement Targets Action Target MN Center for Criminal Justice Skill Builder Anatomical Target One

I now wish to buy a better pistol in the $750 to $850 range. I am looking at: Springfield Armory. Ruger, Kimber, Smith & Wesson, Paraordnance, and Sig Sauer. I know that Colt is not on that list. The reason is that in my price range they are either GI models or in commander length. I want a government model and ideally it would have night sights although it would not necessarily be a deal breaker if the pistol did not have them. The only aftermarket modifications I would be considering would be a rear battlesight by 10-8 and having the pistol bobbed after I had saved enough money.

What I would like to hear from you are the pros and cons associated with the pistols from each manufacturer such as warranties, customer service, problems with the firearms, or extras such as extended safeties or mag releases etc. For example, I know that Kimber has a poor warranty. I hear a large number of bad things about Kimber BUT NOT from Kimber owners. Similarly, I have never heard of a Springfield owner bragging about his gun or heard others talking about how they cannot wait to by a Springfield.

I have shopped around on: Budsgunshop, Impactguns and Gunsamerica to have a good idea what specific models cost and what they have on them but feel to let me know what I might have missed. If you want to show me a specific model for sale that is great, but the idea of this thread is primarily about getting the most I can within a few dollars of my budget.

I want to thank everyone in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience with me. Oh, I forgot. This pistol will be a home/personal defense carry gun. And if I can squirrel away enough cash I will buy a threaded barrel and a suppressor. The problem with that is unless I buy an Osprey suppressor (and I do not know if that is the best) I would have to pay a gunsmith to raise the sights. I would love to have a great looking gun such as the E series from S&W, but functionality is the most important thing.
I have seen several used Colts in the price range you mentioned on our florida gun trader. I have owned and shot Kimber, Sig, RIA, Detonics, and Springfield.... and had good service with all.....My Springfield was an emp 9....Have to say it was the best all around of the 4.....

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
My next 1911 will most likely be the Springer Range Officer or the RO Compact.... $700ish if ya look hard enough.
That is what I bought and it is great. However, the rear sight is not standard, so if you are going to bob it (i assume for carry) it may get in the way. It is also not a finished gun.

When set the RO next to my dads kimber custom II you can immediately see the difference. The kimber is all flush in the back, ejector, slide, frame. His controls are a nicer, they are rounded a little more and just feel better. His also is coated with whatever kimber uses, not just parkerized like the range officer. He really enjoys shooting it. I load for him and cannot load fast enough for the both of us to shoot so he is ordering a small stockpile for when I fall behind. No issues, shoots straight, but we have not changed bullet profiles yet. I hear some kimbers can be picky about hollow points or semi-wad cutters.

I love my range officer, but it would cost me another $4-600 to get it on par with the kimber.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
If it's just a range gun then the Range Officer will be perfect. If it's a carry gun then that would change things.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Unlike Cuda66, an external extractor does not bother me. I have a couple of Smith's of the previous generation to the E series and have had no issues. The complaint there is that the safety does not have the feel that my Springfield Loaded has. And both fall short of my Dan Wesson, but there are a few dollars difference in that comparison. I understand and have felt one example of the E series that both trigger and safety fit have improved from the generation I have.

Smith and Springfield have excellent reputations for their warranty work, that may be a factor.
My understanding is that Smith eliminated their version of the Swartz safety on the E series so something less to go wrong.
The Sig slides are different dimensions and stock 1911 holsters may not work for them.

When you state you are looking at a GI model, are you simply referring to the barrel length of 5" or are you talking about the a WWII era Govt. 1911, with narrow sights, narrow trigger, a grip safety without a bump, all the things that modern 1911's don't have for a good reason?

For carry purposes, do look for a bobtail version (rather than modifying one after purchase). Heft one a and get a feel, it's really a difference that I didn't expect. In your posted budget a bobtail may out of the running.

Fixed sights for carry lest they get knocked out of adjustment.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
The decision is a tuff call. One thing you can count on is there will always be another that you'll want.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Another vote for the DW Heritage! You won't beat the quality/price point.

Load, Shoot, Clean, Repeat...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts