Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANyone have any ideas for a decent 9mm rifle that won't break the bank...I seem to remember years ago that Marlin or Ruger had a semi auto 9mm rifle...Looking for a long gun companion to my XD9 service...Emergencies 1 pistol 1 rifle and a Mossberg 500 along with remington 30-06

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Marlin calls theirs a "Camp Carbine". You could even consider a Hi-Point...super affordable!!!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't even consider an SR...didn't know they could be chambered in 9mm...I don't know much about AR's at all

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I'd love to be able to get an MP5, but that would be breaking bank, legs, arms, etc. etc.

But an AR chambered in 9mm would be my second choice.

I don't know how much the HK USC cost, that could be another choice, but it is chambered in .45acp.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Hi Point Carbines are a great value. Much better product than their pistols.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I didn't even consider an SR...didn't know they could be chambered in 9mm...I don't know much about AR's at all

This is the one I have. Olympic Arms, Inc. - 16" 9mm Upper Conversion Unit

My buddy has the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 and while it's a very fun gun, once it gets dirty (after about 300 rounds or so) it gets very finicky. The AR 9mm's are not gas driven and run like a champ. Mine has never stoped. :cool:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess the big question is where to go to get all the parts to assemble an AR in 9mm and the final cost??? The kel tec and hi point reviews that I have read say the say thing fun to shoot but not a goto gun for SHTF type situation. JAm just FTE problems when they start getting dirty.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'd go with a vector uzi. I have owned several. Stone reliable. hi cap mags (unlike the highpoint - why make asingle stack pistol caliber rifle). Heavy, recoiless, accurate. CDI factor. ONly thing it can't do is mount optics conveniently... but hey, its a pistol caliber carbine...

D

·
Registered
466 Posts
I guess the big question is where to go to get all the parts to assemble an AR in 9mm and the final cost??? The kel tec and hi point reviews that I have read say the say thing fun to shoot but not a goto gun for SHTF type situation. JAm just FTE problems when they start getting dirty.

Well the Oly is 629.00 MSRP so I'm sure you can find them cheaper. Then if you have a lower you are done, if not ad about 200 more and you are good to go.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input guys...That Oly looks nice!!!! A bit out of my price range right now but something to keep in mind for the future...I'll have to rely on the 30-06 Remmy and Mossberg 500 to back up the XD9. Close quaters and reach out and touch someone if needed.

·
Registered
465 Posts
My only thing to throw out there is that I have never ever seen an AR in any caliber that is as reliable as an Uzi. Most AR folk will say "its reliable" and then adds "as long as ....". I put 3000 rounds through a 9mm Vector uzi and it was so full of sludge that I had to push the bolt shut with my thumb. BUt then it ran like a scalded dog. I eventually cleaned it because I was actually ashamed. It never did quit. They're cheap, reliable, lethal, and reasonably compact.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
My only thing to throw out there is that I have never ever seen an AR in any caliber that is as reliable as an Uzi. Most AR folk will say "its reliable" and then adds "as long as ....". I put 3000 rounds through a 9mm Vector uzi and it was so full of sludge that I had to push the bolt shut with my thumb. BUt then it ran like a scalded dog. I eventually cleaned it because I was actually ashamed. It never did quit. They're cheap, reliable, lethal, and reasonably compact.
luv mine

·
Registered
571 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the Beretta CX4 Storm. For just the carbine your looking around $600, but with all of the options for accessories you will quickly dump more into it. I think I have over $1400 in mine including mags. The bonus is that I can use the same mags with my PX4 Storm handgun.

The pic is a little dark, but you can get the idea on how much you can do to these carbines. It's reliable and accurate.

Accessories

Burris XTR 135 Speed Dot
Laser Max Green Laser (bottom rail)
Insight M6 (side rail)
Beretta Verticle Fore Grip
Beretta Bipod
Beretta Top Rail
Beretta Side/Bottom Rails
Tatical 3 Point Sling
PX4 Mag Conversion Kit
6 MDS Mags
2 Beretta Factory Mags