Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at some gas masks for "My Kit" and was wondering what gas masks others have bought.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I remember these in the 70s, not sure where my dad got them. Are they really needed in a situation today?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember these in the 70s, not sure where my dad got them. Are they really needed in a situation today?
You just never know.......People out there hate us as a country, including our own government it seems at time, and i just wouldn't put it past some people to use chemical warfare

·
Registered
144 Posts
Lots of good ones out there... but the only way to really be safe is to be fitted for one. Other wise, could be leaks, etc very easily.

An escape hood type would be simpler, as there is nothing to size. Usually one time use though, and not as long a protection time.

Esp if just working in a high-rise building and concerned, or wanting enough time to get in a car and drive off.

Would be looking for something CBRN certified for chemicals. Carbon Monoxide for burning buildings.

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
i picked up 3 Israeli GM's off amazon.com. one was a kid size for my daughter. get some scott NBC filters and your gtg.

masks were NEW... shipped to my door for $69. better safe then sorry.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Masks are ok, but most chemical agents will kill you nearly as quickly from contacting your skin. If you are in a city, getting to the roof of a tall building and into the fast moving high air would be better than trying to get out wearing a GM.

I'm more worried about a dirty bomb, poisons added to water mains and gas mains ruptured in multiple locations to cause a firestorm.

·
Registered
19,745 Posts
Big brother has a tendency to whip out the tear-gas with alarming regularity. A gas mask would also probably save you from a horrific death after breathing in too much volcanic ash. Then there are out of control wildfires. A mask would drastically minimizing damage from air-born radioactive dust too. If you are talking contact nerve toxins, well there you are SOL. Overall, a gas mask doesn't sound like a bad idea to me, even if the fit wasn't 100% perfect.

·
Registered
337 Posts
have you ever worn a gas mask? Let alone tried to run, fight, etc in one? It saps your will to fight pretty quickly. Personally, I wouldn`t go too overboard if you decide to get one. There are a number of other items I`d recommend you stock up on before the g mask.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Instead of a gas mask, just get a respirator that filters out particulants. These can be had at Home Depot for about 15 bucks. You want full body protection, toss in a tyvek suit and you are gtg. A professor that investigates anthrax cases in animals reccomends that and is what he wears in the field.

To me gas mask just is not worth the weight. An inhaled chemical agent is just too ineffective versus a nerve toxin.

·
Registered
19,745 Posts
Instead of a gas mask, just get a respirator that filters out particulants. These can be had at Home Depot for about 15 bucks. You want full body protection, toss in a tyvek suit and you are gtg. A professor that investigates anthrax cases in animals reccomends that and is what he wears in the field.

To me gas mask just is not worth the weight. An inhaled chemical agent is just too ineffective versus a nerve toxin.
eye protection would be nice to have in many cases.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Instead of a gas mask, just get a respirator that filters out particulants. These can be had at Home Depot for about 15 bucks.
Exactly right. A couple of things here:
1. Most agents that would require you to use your gas mask are VERY difficult to weaponize, especially enough that if you released them outside they wouldn’t have much effect before dissipating.
2. The Army standard for donning a gas mask from first alarm is 9 seconds, can you do that? Would you recognize the symptoms fast enough to even have those 9 seconds?
3. Many of the chemical/biological agents out there would get right through your filter; it’s not 100% protection.
4. How many spare filters do you have? The one on it won’t last 24 hours.

Over all as quoted above you’re far more likely to need some N95 or better cheap disposable masks for the next outbreak of 1918 style flu than a full on bio/chem mask. I’m all for prepping for whatever so buy it if budget allows but this is one of the very last things I will add.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Gas masks were not high on my list. I've got a couple of them, but I don't expect to use them, and they would not go in the BOB. I've got face masks in the medical/first aid BOB. I will probably get a couple respirators, too.

·
Banned
110 Posts
When I was going through NBC training, prior to going into theater as a contractor with D.O.D., we had to dawn our masks in under 10 sec and dawn, tape and inspect our NBC suit in less than 5 min, or something like that. We did this in an A/C'ed environment and it SUCK! When I got into my first theater, Kandahar, I recolected the NBC training and was like NO FVCKING WAY I could dawn that gear with out having a heart attack, lol... In the A/C my nut were swimming in their own juices and I sounded like an asthmatic, I could only imagine doing it in 120 degree heat.... Just FVCKING shoot me! The GM was doable since I had to actually dawn it more than a few times when the "Big Voice," or what ever they called it, started screaming at 3am every other day of attack.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Big brother has a tendency to whip out the tear-gas with alarming regularity. A gas mask would also probably save you from a horrific death after breathing in too much volcanic ash. Then there are out of control wildfires. A mask would drastically minimizing damage from air-born radioactive dust too. If you are talking contact nerve toxins, well there you are SOL. Overall, a gas mask doesn't sound like a bad idea to me, even if the fit wasn't 100% perfect.

Volcanic dust, ash, dust (even radioactive) will all be filtered out with a cheap 1/2 face mask you can buy at the home depot or similar. If you get a decent paint vapor mask with charcoal canisters for 20-40 bucks you will probably keep out tear gas (but will still be tearing up). Just so everyone understands, the cheap paper medical type masks are to keep YOUR cooties from getting out to other people, NOT to protect you from stuff coming in with every breath.

If you are in areas that are prone to volcanic eruptions, wild fires or major dust storms then by all means get one. But it is a total pain in the rump to do anything remotely active while wearing one. The better the filtration the harder it is to breath and the greater the residual exhalation that remains in the mask. You best have a close shave or a baby face too because stuff will get around stubble or beard quite easily.

Also if you are in an area like that, your vehicle will quickly have its air filter clogged up tight from the same stuff. Best to have several extra filters or equip the Bug Out vehicle with a cyclonic particular separator.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts

I'd have to agree, but would get the one with cannisters you'd use for crawling around in the attic. If you ever needed a mask, I think it's more likely you'll need to filter out smoke and the like than actually filter out anything from a biological attack.

When I first went into the military back in 1989, we were getting issued the, at the time, new masks that had a single eye bubble that spanned from one temple to the other. Awesome field of view and easy to put on. A few years ago when I went through NBC training, I learned every single one of those masks were being inspected, even the ones that had never been issued and were considered relatively new, because of pin holes in them. It was a manufacturing/material defect that had always been there, but no one knew until quite some time later. You also have to factor in that rubber will dry/crack after a while making them useless for NBC.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
When I was going through NBC training, prior to going into theater as a contractor with D.O.D., we had to dawn our masks in under 10 sec and dawn, tape and inspect our NBC suit in less than 5 min, or something like that. We did this in an A/C'ed environment and it SUCK! When I got into my first theater, Kandahar, I recolected the NBC training and was like NO FVCKING WAY I could dawn that gear with out having a heart attack, lol... In the A/C my nut were swimming in their own juices and I sounded like an asthmatic, I could only imagine doing it in 120 degree heat.... Just FVCKING shoot me! The GM was doable since I had to actually dawn it more than a few times when the "Big Voice," or what ever they called it, started screaming at 3am every other day of attack.
We didn't have to do any of that for refresher training. Initial training required us to remove the mask and suck in some tear gas to prove to us they worked. I didn't mind wearing the suit/gear too much as once you got used to everything being soaked from sweat, it wasn't too bad. What really sucked was getting sweat in your eyes and not being able to wipe them. Well, I did. We would put up tents, patrol, etc. and some were able to actually sleep with the gear on. I was never able to to that as the flap going back and forth would wake me.

For Iraq/Afghanistan (Gulf War II), the organization I was with had people pop in and out of theater all the time, myself incuded (actually, I had the most frequent flier miles :) and had been in theater the most). Sometimes for a few weeks, sometimes for a few months. We never took that gear with us as we were more likely to get shot or crash somewhere than actually need the gear.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'd have to agree, but would get the one with cannisters you'd use for crawling around in the attic. If you ever needed a mask, I think it's more likely you'll need to filter out smoke and the like than actually filter out anything from a biological attack.
Smoke from an outdoors incident (particulate) and smoke from being in a building on fire (low oxygen, carbon monoxide) are going to have different dangers as well, and need different masks, canisters, etc.

Cant carry everything for every situation, and then plan for how long it might last.

Even a full sized closed circuit self contained breathing apparatus only lasts 24 hrs if you sit down, do absolutely nothing, and work the controls properly.

·
Registered
313 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts