Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have been playing around with changing up my RRA a bit, trying to make it lighter in the front and designating it as my "hunting rig" i mean its not to heavy right now but i dont think it would be too comfortable holding it in the ready while sitting in a deer stand.

so what im thinking about doing is just changing out the rail and FSP.

for the rail, after scowering youtube for days, i think im going to go with the troy TRX Extreme battle rail...seems to be pretty light and get good reviews, and ive seen some folks on here roll with it. i was looking at the new DD MFR rail but for the price it seems a little overkill.

so here i am again, asking the AR guys for more input, if anyone has a better option than the troy please tell, and i dont really want to go the MOE route.

another question is...i think all i need to do is replace my FSP with a low profile gas block and the rail will fit even though my gun is CAR length...that true? and what gas blocks are "good" like can i trust the YHM LPGB? its cheap and so am i.

thanks to all in advance.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

crappy hunting picture

·
Registered
261 Posts
ok i have been playing around with changing up my RRA a bit, trying to make it lighter in the front and designating it as my "hunting rig" i mean its not to heavy right now but i dont think it would be too comfortable holding it in the ready while sitting in a deer stand.

so what im thinking about doing is just changing out the rail and FSP.

for the rail, after scowering youtube for days, i think im going to go with the troy TRX Extreme battle rail...seems to be pretty light and get good reviews, and ive seen some folks on here roll with it. i was looking at the new DD MFR rail but for the price it seems a little overkill.

so here i am again, asking the AR guys for more input, if anyone has a better option than the troy please tell, and i dont really want to go the MOE route.

another question is...i think all i need to do is replace my FSP with a low profile gas block and the rail will fit even though my gun is CAR length...that true? and what gas blocks are "good" like can i trust the YHM LPGB? its cheap and so am i.

thanks to all in advance.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

crappy hunting picture

The YHM lpgb is very good imo. I have it on my AR as well. If you are looking to build a lighterweight hunting rifle, I'd completely do away with any of the quad rails, except for maybe one spot in the front for a bi-pod mount. There are plenty of handguards that are low profile and totally smooth throughout their length but supposedly work very well. As I am new to the AR scene, I am just talking from what I have observed, not what I have done. I'm sure there are many people on here more informed than I am.
Good luck and happy hunting.

Jason

P.S. Good looking gun.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Since you have RRA anyway, take a look at this free-float tube from them.

or

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
If you replace the forend, you'll have to take the front sight/gas block off anyway.

While you have it off, why not just use a hacksaw and dremel (or bench grinder/belt sander) to chop the top off of it and reuse the same one.

That way you know it'll line back up right the first time with your gas port in the barrel.

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Nah, the hidden bayo lug makes it more evil.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good call on the bayo lugs, but this may sound bad but how actually is the front sight post mounted? is it clamped? pinned? or just shoved on? cause ive noticed the Daniel defense LPGB is a "clamp on" style and the YHM isnt...and as fun as it sounds i can never trust myself with a hacksaw on my rifle haha

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
check out the tapco intrafuse. Its made of polymer not alum and is like 50% lighter. I have been thinking of trying one myself. MY low pro classic with bull barrel is quite heavy up front and the quad rail I have on there now is quite hefty too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the cheap yhm gb and has been great so far. Troy rail looks like a great value for the quality. I wouldn't hesitate.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Here are 2 other options that are very similar in weight and cost to the Troy Etreme rail.
I own a Troy Extreme rail and do love it but I find these two to my liking as well. They both also offer extensions that fit under the A2 FSP allowing for a little more length with out replacing or modifying the A2 FSP.
Check them out...
Samson Evolution rail Samson Evolution : Samson Manufacturing
Apex machining Company rail Apex Machining Company: Apex Handguard Systems

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are 2 other options that are very similar in weight and cost to the Troy Etreme rail.
I own a Troy Extreme rail and do love it but I find these two to my liking as well. They both also offer extensions that fit under the A2 FSP allowing for a little more length with out replacing or modifying the A2 FSP.
Check them out...
Samson Evolution rail Samson Evolution : Samson Manufacturing
Apex machining Company rail Apex Machining Company: Apex Handguard Systems

thanks jn_fsu, i really like the look and idea of the samson rail...looks easy to install, but wondering how well you could get a sight picture when i scope the gun, my red dot works wine with the FSP and i mean i imagine it will work fine with a scpoe when raised.

and the APEX rail...the "gator grip" is that like rubberized or something of the sort? if so that will be my first choice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts