Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
now the question is what should i do with them.

ive already done an SBR and pretty much so another $200 tax stamp for yet another shorty AR Does not seem very appealing as i can pretty much so just build up several uppers to go on my shorty. varmenters don't appeal to me so its most likely going to stay in the carbine class. im thinking im going to swap out one of the lowers with the DPMS lower on my Stag/DPMS build then possibly turn the DPMS in to a pistol but now what to do with the other.

here are my thoughts

CTR stock Foliage green, RRA two stage trigger, CMT A3 upper with Wilson chrome lined 16"barrel with MOCK suppressor (gives me the appearance of a shorty without the tax stamp as well as the appearance of a can yet again without the expense of the Tax Stamp) set Troy 12" rifle length FF rails, Lo Pro gas block, Troy Flip up Battle sights, bravo company BCG, charging handle with tactical latch, Foliage Green MIAD grip and FG ladder covers, and top it off with a AIMPOINT ML2 and 4x magnifier

im not stuck in this yet especially since i need to save up some funds hopefully my compulsiveness will allow me to build this one slow over time allowing me to actually build it the way i want without having to file bankruptcy.

thoughts suggestions, concerns

·
Registered
307 Posts
Sounds like you have the right idea.

Tomorrow i'll have both of my lowers as well, CMMG and another Stag.

Man...there is no cure for this BRD :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
Looks like your going to be ready for an Obama presidency. Very nice. :cool:

·
Registered
58 Posts
In regards to turning your currently rifled configured DPMS lower into a pistol-

In short, doing that wouldn't be legal.

The ATF is stupid, and they say "once a rifle always a rifle". Not saying I agree with the law, but I'm just throwing that info out to you.

If you took one of your Stag lowers (which has never been assembled as a rifle) and made it into a pistol, it would be legal. Most people buy purpose made pistol lowers that are already engraved "PISTOL".

Yes, it's retarded. But it's the law...or atleast the ATF's twisted interpretation of the law. You can turn a pistol into a rifle, but you can't turn a rifle into a pistol...

In my opinion, AR pistols are somewhat useless...I'd go SBR...but you already have one. Can you think of a time you'd rather shoot your AR pistol with no stock than your SBR AR with a stock? Yeah, if I had the money I might build a pistol for giggles, but if you're on any sort of a budget I would go rifle with that DPMS lower. Much better use of funds IMO.

Have you considered a retro AR build? I like a nice M16A1 look-alike...

Miscellaneous Parts from Ohio Ordnance Works

About 1/4 of the way down the page...very good condition upper (without BCG or CH...) for $275.

Retro would make a good blaster...

Lots of good info here-

AR15.COM :: Forums :: AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum

·
Registered
367 Posts
now the question is what should i do with them.

ive already done an SBR and pretty much so another $200 tax stamp for yet another shorty AR Does not seem very appealing as i can pretty much so just build up several uppers to go on my shorty. varmenters don't appeal to me so its most likely going to stay in the carbine class. im thinking im going to swap out one of the lowers with the DPMS lower on my Stag/DPMS build then possibly turn the DPMS in to a pistol but now what to do with the other.

here are my thoughts

CTR stock Foliage green, RRA two stage trigger, CMT A3 upper with Wilson chrome lined 16"barrel with MOCK suppressor (gives me the appearance of a shorty without the tax stamp as well as the appearance of a can yet again without the expense of the Tax Stamp) set Troy 12" rifle length FF rails, Lo Pro gas block, Troy Flip up Battle sights, bravo company BCG, charging handle with tactical latch, Foliage Green MIAD grip and FG ladder covers, and top it off with a AIMPOINT ML2 and 4x magnifier

im not stuck in this yet especially since i need to save up some funds hopefully my compulsiveness will allow me to build this one slow over time allowing me to actually build it the way i want without having to file bankruptcy.

thoughts suggestions, concerns

Not really a comment on what you are going to build, foliage green is a cool color though. I don't care for OD but I like foliage green.

but I think my next build is going to be Urban Dark Earth, larue and magpul made the UDE kit for sale at 225$

If it isnt my next build I might sell my FDE furniture next year and buy the UDE kit to replace it.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In regards to turning your currently rifled configured DPMS lower into a pistol-

In short, doing that wouldn't be legal.

The ATF is stupid, and they say "once a rifle always a rifle". Not saying I agree with the law, but I'm just throwing that info out to you.

If you took one of your Stag lowers (which has never been assembled as a rifle) and made it into a pistol, it would be legal. Most people buy purpose made pistol lowers that are already engraved "PISTOL".

Yes, it's retarded. But it's the law...or atleast the ATF's twisted interpretation of the law. You can turn a pistol into a rifle, but you can't turn a rifle into a pistol...
did not know that other than me telling them how would they know if it was ever assembled in to a rifle. guess ill just sell it and buy another new lower and build a pistol out of that. there is really no point to having a pistol other than for the aforementioned S$Gs and of course the cool factor of having an AR pistol to adorn my safe. but i guess if its illegal i guess i will have to come up with something different

what if i had it engraved pistol only would that make a difference?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not really a comment on what you are going to build, foliage green is a cool color though. I don't care for OD but I like foliage green.

but I think my next build is going to be Urban Dark Earth, larue and magpul made the UDE kit for sale at 225$

If it isnt my next build I might sell my FDE furniture next year and buy the UDE kit to replace it.

hold the phone i guess i have not seached enough i might have to go with the UDE instead just a bummer for the money you end up getting the MOE grip instead of the MIAD also $225 kinda seems steep for what you are getting

lets see

MOE Pistol Grip = $19 in any other color
CTR stock = $97 in any other color.
not sure about the VFG or the ladder covers but i don't think that they should cost another $110

so are we paying more for the color or the name LaRue

·
Registered
367 Posts

lets see

MOE Pistol Grip = $19 in any other color
CTR stock = $97 in any other color.
not sure about the VFG or the ladder covers but i don't think that they should cost another $110

so are we paying more for the color or the name LaRue
LaRue Fug VFG = 98$ any other color
XTM rail panels = 7.95$ for 1 carbine length coverage(32$ for 12 sets)
MOE = 19$
CTR = 97
total cost seperate in any other color = approx. 222$

so right around dollar for dollar if comparing to New items.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah but i don't want the FUG and would prefer to get the covers in a ladder form but oh well.

im going to have to consider it. i did a search and ive seen a few with them that looked nice but like i said you would think that at the very least you would get the MIAD grip even the basic kit would be a better deal.

sounds like a way to make you buy extra parts that you may or may not want

I like the fact that i can change front and backstraps on the MIAD.

wish they would sell piece by piece,

sounds to me like Magpul needs to develop FDUE gear maybe add one extra shade of FG to it.

the more that i think about it the more i contenplating the FG gear with the LaRue UDE out there i should be able to find some good deals on the other colors on ARFCOM

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yeah, LaRue signed up Magpul for the exclusive color so I'm pretty sure it was done to push their own Fug VFG.

they just released it this summer so I'm sure they have plenty more in the pipeline to release. I mean they still have to release Pmags in UDE to at least complete the build. I'm sure they will eventually release the ladder style covers and other parts in their line.

lucky for me I am a fan of the MOE grip, the B2 backstrap is perfect for me. also I currently use the XTM rail covers so again another plus for me.

Also I found out that the stubby VFGs are most comfortable for me as well.

the UDE kit is actually right down my alley sorta...

btw saw an EE listing for just the MOE grip and XTM panels go off the board in few hours.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts