Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Finally got my XD-40 over the weekend, first 100 rounds went flawlessly :D (although I need to learn to shoot better). Wanted to say thanks to everyone here who helped me make a decision while researching my purchase.

Question: My plan is to keep 2 magazines at home loaded with Hollow Points for protection, and have two spare magazines for taking to the range etc. Could having the mags permanently loaded cause a problem with chambering the rounds as the spring begins to settle and lose its compression?

If this is the case, should I change them out periodically? Or is there some kind of regular service I can perform on the magazine to prevent this.

Thanks in advance.

-Tristan

·
Registered
82 Posts
IMO, it will not degrade the springs at all. I have had my 2 Glock23 10rd mags loaded full for the last 10yrs and gave the gun a good running through last weekend and both mags performed fine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Through the years I've kept mags loaded for extended periods of time and haven't had a problem. Springs are cheap and easy to replace every year if you feel more comfortable doing so. Hope you like your 40 as much as I do;)

·
Registered
825 Posts
I remember reading a post on here a while back by a guy who bought a stack of 1911 mags that were loaded during WW2. IIRC he reported that they fed perfectly down to the last round.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The local gunsmith said if you keep them fully loaded, too change the springs every year. This guys really knows his ****. Yet I have gone 3-4 years with loaded mags, with no problem.

·
Registered
485 Posts
It's the cycling that wears out a spring. You're actually better of leaving them loaded for 10 years than rotating mags and loading and unloading every month.

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
The local gunsmith said if you keep them fully loaded, too change the springs every year. This guys really knows his ****. Yet I have gone 3-4 years with loaded mags, with no problem.
he was just trying to get you to buy something.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
No the guy is top notch. Anyone who shoots comp. around here, will only go to him. Even if they live in other areas.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
I don't believe him at all and I've never had a problem with mags being loaded for years.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
It's a reccomendation. Just like I could tell you to field strip your gun, after every time at the range. Does that mean if you do not it will fail. Not at all. Everyone has different opnions, just because you do not agree with it does not make it wrong or right.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have read in gun magazines that you should change out your loaded mags every month or so to increase the spring life. After reading the threads on this, I'm not going to worry about it any more. Thx for all the input!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
The point I was trying to make was to point out the obvious fact that people drive cars held up by springs and few would put their car up on blocks to save the springs. Paranoia about leave mags loaded makes as much sense to me as putting your car on blocks.

Springs are cyclical, and there are a right and wrongs about how they work, because they work because of physics, not magic (although I know some magazines tuners that would like you to believe so) and there is no opinion involved, just physics.

Basically a coil spring is a series of leaf springs stacked up, and they wear by being loaded with pressure and then relieve of pressure.

Most competition shooters change their mag springs once a year, because they are cheap, not because it is needed, and once a spring goes it goes. On my match mags, I'll change the springs every year and then I put those in my practice mags. It seems that you can get a couple thousand rounds on most good springs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts