Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
I think I saw once a pic of an XD with a longer barrel. Not a silencer or anything, but it looked like maybe 1/2-1" more barrel sticking out of the end.

Is that possible, for instance... If I have a 4", could I use a 5" barrel too at times simply by swapping it? :confused:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hello all
I think I saw once a pic of an XD with a longer barrel. Not a silencer or anything, but it looked like maybe 1/2-1" more barrel sticking out of the end.

Is that possible, for instance... If I have a 4", could I use a 5" barrel too at times simply by swapping it? :confused:
I believe a 5" barrel will drop in place of your 4", of course it will just stick out 1".

Any reason why you want that exactly? Only reason I can see if for having it threaded for a compensator or silencer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Having it threaded was one thought, and wondered if it might help for accuracy? All though I am a pretty good shot so the second is less of an issue, but would be a nice perk if it helped me reach out a little further??

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm not sure a 5" barrel will work in a 4" XD. The 4" barrel is slightly larger in OD for the last 3/8" or so. The 5" barrel would have to have this larger diameter for 1-3/8" to fit without a lot of slop. Is the 5" barrel made this way?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Chances are what you saw was an XD with a threaded barrel...

Just sell it and buy a 5" if you want more accuracy :) Or, better yet, buy a whole nother 5" !!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Rather than buy a new gun (what am I saying!?:lol:)- you have several options to get a better sight picture/radius. Have a gunsmith mount a rib with better sights, swap out the stock sights with better sights such as a "ghost ring" or several other brands, explore a red dot, or mount a laser- all the above will give you more accuracy than an additional 1" of sight radius and stock sights.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Hello all

Not gonna work. In fact, you might experience a loss of accuracy if you did such a swap, as the barrel and slide may not match up properly. There may be some gunsmiths out there that are offering custom barrel with a protruding compensator package that would be designed to fit on a 4" slide, but you'd be looking at a hefty price tag.

One of the main misconceptions about accuracy in relation to the length of the barrel is that it is dependent on the barrel itself. Though there is a little truth to that, when you're looking at a difference in barrel length between 4" and 5", the primary reason for an increase in accuracy will be a longer sight radius, not a longer barrel. If you were able to find a 5" barrel designed to fit on an XD 4" slide, you might see a slight improvement in accuracy, but since such a modification wouldn't extend your sight radius, any gains in accuracy would be negligible.

As some others have already suggested, upgrade to an XD Tactical if you're looking for better accuracy, and remember, when it comes to improving accuracy, the shooter is 95% of the equation, unless the gun you're shooting is a piece of junk.

·
Registered
35 Posts
EFK Firedragon makes extended stainless barrels for XDs. They offer them with or without threading and with or without porting. They also have a bunch of caliber conversion barrels, including a 400 Corbon barrel for the 4" XD45. I've never used any of their products but have read good things on another forum.

Welcome to EFKFireDragon.com

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Image was loading slow for me but here it is.
My 45Service with my 45Tac barrel.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Tactical 45 with Barsto threaded barrel. Works great. Required fitting. Springer did that for me.

Longer barrel will give you more velocity, but not enough to matter a whole hell of a lot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts