Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya,

Long time lurker, and figured I should actually say hi, now that we've got four XDms in the stable. :)

The wife has the original XDm 4.5 in 9mm, and I have the XDm compact (9mm), XDm 4.5 (.45ACP), and XDm 5.25 (9mm).

She's going to be using hers and I'm going to be using the 5.25 for IDPA.

We do have others, but I figured I'd start with the ones immediately relevant to the forum. :D

·
Premium Member
23,655 Posts
Hello there

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
How would you compare the three different size xdm9's? I'm torn between the 3.8 and the 4.5. I wish I could afford a 5.25 and a 3.8, but the 4.5 seems like a good compromise between the two. I want to CC at some point in the future but I will spend A LOT more time with it at the range. Also possibly some uspsa or idpa.

·
Super Moderator
22,195 Posts
Welcome welcome from Germany.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How would you compare the three different size xdm9's? I'm torn between the 3.8 and the 4.5. I wish I could afford a 5.25 and a 3.8, but the 4.5 seems like a good compromise between the two. I want to CC at some point in the future but I will spend A LOT more time with it at the range. Also possibly some uspsa or idpa.
Thanks for the welcomes everybody!!!!!

I would say start with the 3.8, if you are going to carry, since you have the option to change your grip length (13 round or 19 round with a spacer). Then go after your race gun when finances allow.

Cannot shrink the grip on a 4.5 or 5.25.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Thanks for the welcomes everybody!!!!!

I would say start with the 3.8, if you are going to carry, since you have the option to change your grip length (13 round or 19 round with a spacer). Then go after your race gun when finances allow.

Cannot shrink the grip on a 4.5 or 5.25.
Thanks for the advice! Are you able to put a third finger on the grip with the short mag and an extended base? I didn't like the feel of my pinky finger with no place to rest.

·
Premium Member
3,448 Posts
Hi and welcome from Colorado

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice! Are you able to put a third finger on the grip with the short mag and an extended base? I didn't like the feel of my pinky finger with no place to rest.
I've not tried it with an extended base--sorry. I'm used to curling the pinky under from previous and current carry weapons.

With the extended base, does that make it the same length as a full-size grip? If so, you might as well just use the spacer and the full mag....and if you're going to do that, you might as well go back to the original possibility of a 4.5. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Welcome to the forums from Auburn, WA

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Welcome from Wonderful Wyoming.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
I've not tried it with an extended base--sorry. I'm used to curling the pinky under from previous and current carry weapons.

With the extended base, does that make it the same length as a full-size grip? If so, you might as well just use the spacer and the full mag....and if you're going to do that, you might as well go back to the original possibility of a 4.5. Just something to think about.
I was thinking more like this:
Pearce Grips
It doesn't add any length to the grip, just a rest for the pinky finger. Sounds like I've talked myself into the compact ha, I'll have to go back and rent it again to be sure. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Welcome from Iowa

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Another Texan welcomes you! :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts