Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if there exists the possibility for long term tension damage if the gun is constantly fully loaded and ready to fire. I've heard a lot of people that carry the gun in condition 1 all day, then return home and put it on/in the nightstand/safe/whatever until the following day, never unloading it and releasing the hammer. Anything to worry about over time? Every manual I've ever seen says to unload the gun (of course) and then pull the trigger to release the hammer for storage. Wonder if the manufacturers only had safety on their minds or if it could damage the gun otherwise.

·
Registered
339 Posts
To answer your question, keeping your pistol in condition 1 is absolutely fine. The reason the manual says to unload it for storage is mostly referring to keeping the pistol in the plastic case, etc. that aren't meant to safely hold a loaded firearm.

Cheers

·
Registered
92 Posts
Most Officers keep their gun hot at all times. We shoot once a month though. That might not be considered long term though. I have a few guns some for work and some for personal use; all of the are stored hot.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
This question comes up constantly.. and I think it is easily explained... as long as you can seperate two issues.. Keeping your "gun" loaded all the time, and keeping your magazine loaded all the time.

Having a round in the chamber causes no stress.. no friction, no problem.. keeping your magazine filled to capacity compresses the springs, which causes no stress, no friction, no problems.

Keep them full.. their really is not a good reason not to.

If the pistol is not going to be on your person... lock them away, and unload them. That just seems like the sensible thing to do. I do.. kind of.. I always have the revolver loaded in the safe, It's on my night stand at night, but when I go to work it goes back to the safe... that's me though.

Your pistol was meant to have bullets in it. You are not going to hurt it by keeping it's tummy full.. just use your common sense safety practices around your fire-arms.

Raymond

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
My Sigarms P220 has been in Condition 1 for almost 3 years, my XD has been in Condition 1 for almost 18 months.

No reason not to have them in Condition 1.

·
Registered
8 Posts
MeanStreaker said:
I was curious if there exists the possibility for long term tension damage......."

YES, Guns get very stressed and "tense" when you keep them loaded and don't shoot them.

Its like a dog you keep inside all day and never walk.

Take that puppy out and shoot the stress away :D

·
Registered
889 Posts
The only thing that leaving a gun loaded forever is going to hurt is the springs, so load your gun, and just rember to change your springs every 35 to 40 years, and you should be fine. :lol:

·
Registered
56 Posts
plus the springfield xd is (for lack of a better term) in a half cocked battery at all times, it really doesnt matter if one is in the chamber constantly. :D

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
40SWXDSHOOTER said:
The only thing that leaving a gun loaded forever is going to hurt is the springs, so load your gun, and just rember to change your springs every 35 to 40 years, and you should be fine. :lol:

:lol:
I think it would last at least 50!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts