Springfield XD Forum banner

Long berral AK question

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Stogies 
#1 ·
I ran in to a Romark ak-47 in very good condition It has a 20" heavy barrel, bipod, and 230rd magazines. It is chambered of 7.62x39 I don't know much about thes I know its pretty much an AK with a longer barrel is it a AK sniper rifle any opinions on this rifle or info

#2 ·
Berral?

They have 230 rd magazines?:shock::shock::shock::shock:

If you want a accurate semi-auto then I would get a semi-auto 7.62x51mm or bolt 54mm. The AK is good for short distances ( 300m or less ).

#3 ·
Is that a mis type or do you have a picture of that 230rd magazine!

#7 ·
Crap, I wanted to see a 230 rd mag. What would that weigh fully loaded?

#11 ·
Its an RPKN...the WaSR (Romanian) version is called the AES...nothing sniper about it. Its just a semi version of the AK light machine gun...an AK with a heavy profile barrel thats 4" longer and a reinforced receiver. A replacement the RPD. No range nor accuracy advantage, just heavier duty for sustained fire. pretty much a Russian 60's version of our BAR. Usually fed 40rd mags and 75rd drums. Should also have a windage adjustable rear sight.

With a side rail (for IR) is the RPKN. With a folding stock its an RPKS

#12 ·
Its an RPKN...the WaSR (Romanian) version is called the AES...nothing sniper about it. Its just a semi version of the AK light machine gun...an AK with a heavy profile barrel thats 4" longer and a reinforced receiver. A replacement the RPD. No range nor accuracy advantage, just heavier duty for sustained fire. pretty much a Russian 60's version of our BAR. Usually fed 40rd mags and 75rd drums. Should also have a windage adjustable rear sight.

With a side rail (for IR) is the RPKN. With a folding stock its an RPKS
Just asking, so a longer barrel on a AK 7.62X39 doesn't have any positive affect, other than a longer sight radius. How would it affect velocity and range?

#13 ·
the 7.62x39 (M67) ammo is specifically designed for a weapon with a 16" barrel. There is no powder or bullet weight difference nor enough of a rifling change to make any significant difference in either case. An SKS groups tighter because of the short stroke gas system and the fact that it was built as a rifle vs a light machine gun. I have never seen or been able to shoot a tighter print with an RPK vs an AK, and I have shot thousands of rounds through all of them in semi and F/A.
There is a lot more to gaining accuracy and range then by just adding a few inches of barrel.

#14 ·
the 7.62x39 (M67) ammo is specifically designed for a weapon with a 16" barrel. There is no powder or bullet weight difference nor enough of a rifling change to make any significant difference in either case.

There is a lot more to gaining accuracy and range then by just adding a few inches of barrel.
+1 to what he said

Also, the x39 round was never designed to be a marksman's round. It is designed to turn cinder blocks into mini-shrapnel grenades and put a lot of energy into a target out to about 300m (despite what the AK leaf sight might make you believe). Is it effective outside of that? Yes... but good luck getting any kind of consistency out of any kind of barrel.

That being said, RPKs are cool. I want one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.