Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there some good safes or other ways to lock a gun in a car for times when it is illegal to carry it into a building?

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I have seen some good ones in Galls. I hate to do that, but there is almost no where here in Oregon that I cannot take my pistol..

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I use the basic Gunsafe. I have mine bolted right behind the passenger seat in my Jeep. It was $100 and took about an hour to install. They also have a cable so you can chain it to the seat bracket but personally i feel safer with it bolted in. Pic for example
ETA some also use Center of Mass (I think that is the name) safes.

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
I just run a cable gun lock through the firearm and around something solid in the car.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
I use one of these: Center Of Mass Central

It won't prevent someone who is determined and has tools and time. But, it will prevent a smash and grab. (Which the mass majority of vehicle break-ins are.)

·
Registered
2,721 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Any set of bolt clippers will take care of that.
I don't think the average snatch and grab car thief will be carrying a set of bolt cutters...

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I have the same one:D

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have two of these... one in each car.
Cabela's -- Secure-It Handgun Storage Safe
i have a smilar safe i keep in my truck, although the cable makes me a little nervous. I only use it when i absolutely can NOT legally carry my weapon. I bought it for smash-n-grab protection, as well as a legal lock box if i stop for a couple drinks with the guys after work. I suspect that if my vehicle gets broken into it'll be for the stero and GPS and im hopeing they'll overlook my little black case tucked under the seat or at least become frustrated when they find out its anchored to the seat mount ;)

Its also nice for traveling since its portable.

I am currently exploring hard-mount options/locations for it in my truck that will make me feel better when i do have to be seperated from my gun for any period of time.

overall i think its a great product for situations that demand some level of protection and its definstly better than locking it in your glove box or center console.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I have two of these... one in each car.
Cabela's -- Secure-It Handgun Storage Safe
Looks like the same one from Center of Mass. Looks interesting and what I'd do is get a "good" cable. There are some that regular bolt cutters won't cut. I think Bell makes one and there's another but I can't think of the name.................?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just bought one of the gunvaults as well, but to put under my bed.

As far as locking up my weapon in the car, I am contemplating one of the cheap-o keyed safes from Wal-Mart. It is only $20, but seems plenty secure, and it comes with mounting hardware. I keep running into situations where I can't carry, and I would rather have a gun in the car instead of leaving it at home.. and I loathe leaving it in the glove box or under the seat.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I use one of these: Center Of Mass Central

It won't prevent someone who is determined and has tools and time. But, it will prevent a smash and grab. (Which the mass majority of vehicle break-ins are.)
I have use one of these, they are quite nice. with my sc I can fit 2 mags in there too.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts