Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've has a XD9 for years. A little less thatn a year ago I bought a two tone XD9 sc two tone. I really like the gun but after about 8 months the locking block developed a large gouge of metal in a v shape to the left of center. SA as always fixed it. Let me say I have only shot a few mags of Federal 124gr. HST my carry round through it.
Most everything I've shot through it has been WWB and Federal Champion for Wally World. After shooting Sunday I got my gun home and went to clean it and the locking block have another jagged gouge in the left side as before! Sent it back to SA. They sent a ship tag and all. I know from the search function that some of the earler guns had this problem and the did some cuts on the block to take up some of the stresses. The articles said the problem was not present in the small XD's.
Well it is in mine. I know SA will fix it and all but it makes me question the longevity of the gun. Anyone else have this problem with the XD sc's? Would appreciate any feedback if you've had problems and what you did to solve them. Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guns already at Springfield Armory so I can't post any. Pretty much picture a jagged "v" on the left side of the locking block right where the rear of the block forms an "L" shape and you've got it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
There are two small divots drilled into the corners of the locking blocks of all new XD/XDm's, with exception to the Subcompact. When your Subcompact is returned, it will have a new locking block minus the drilled holes.

I experienced the same thing with my Sub 40 and thought the Sub 9 was not subject to the same malady. Guess not. It's odd that SA does not do the drill wholes on the Sub's locking block. Well then, mine was a year ago so maybe they saw the error of their ways and now do the cuts. I hope for your sake that is so.

It was explained to me by the SA rep that the larger mass of the slide and barrel was such that it caused the locking block failure, but the Sub did not exert equivalent pressure. So, the Sub's locking block did not require modification. Based on results, they were sadly mistaken.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine did the same thing last spring after about 3500 rounds, if I remember correctly. I got the XD40sc back with a new locking block. The new one did not have the notches in the corners either. I have about 3000 rounds on the new one and it's fine so far. I shoot mid-range reloads.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I had issue with locking block too...

I posted this issue,so you can search for it...just look under my user name.

anywho, i sent to springer and they replace it and shipped it back to me in total week... Dont know why the metal that the locking block is made of, but it was chipping where the barrel locks in to.... So far hasnt been a issue any more.

:cool:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Second time cracking and in the same spot seems to point to a specific problem to me. SA has of course been down for the holiday. It's been over a week so I'm going to call them Tuesday. I've done a search on the cracking locking blocks. From what I've seen it mirrors what others have said. They don't think it's a problem with the sub compacts. Like I said unless it;s a specific problem with my gun I beg to differ. SA's always been good to me so I think it will be taken care of. But they really need to look the gun over.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had issue with locking block too...

I posted this issue,so you can search for it...just look under my user name.

anywho, i sent to springer and they replace it and shipped it back to me in total week... Dont know why the metal that the locking block is made of, but it was chipping where the barrel locks in to.... So far hasnt been a issue any more.

:cool:
Was the locking block issue on the Subcompact? And by the way, do your 40 mags look a bit beat up? All mine are dented from the inside-out. None of my 45 or 9s are like that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes it was on my sub compact. As I mentioned earlier the second time this has happened in the same place. A jagged v shaped gouge on the left side of the locking block. No problems with the .40 mags converted to 9mm. I got the XD9sc back today. It appears they just replaced the locking block again. And the locking block pins.
The locking block is the standard locking block. No holes drilled for stress relief. So I don't know what to think. If it's broken twice what's to keep it from breaking a third time? I really like the little gun. But I'm beginning to lose faith in it. The locking block breaking does not appear to prevent the gun from firing. At least when it first happens. I guess SA will just keep replacing it.
Mt XD9 4" dates back to the Clinton ban and has never given me any grief. So if the full size XD's are supposed to be breaking locking blocks and the SC models are why am I experiencing the opposite????

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got my XD9sc back. As I said it appears they installed the same type of locking block that was in the gun originally. No explanation of possible causes. Anyways took the little gun out. Shoot 15o rounds through it.
50 of the 124 gr. Aquila, 50 of some RUAG 115gr., and 50 of a mixture of different mixes of rounds. Feed, ejected and fired everything.
Gun was it's usual accurate little self. With the RUAG ammo from 10 yards 1 handed I put 3 rounds into a nickel sized group. It has always been reliable and very accurate. I guess Ill just have to keep an eye on the locking block. But I clean my guns after every shooting session so I should find any problems quickly. Hey SA paid for shipping, fixed it, and were very polite. Can't knock them. Any problems I've ever had they have fixed. Just wish I knew what was causing the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts