Springfield XD Forum banner

Locking back on a loaded magazine

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  TSiWRX 
#1 · (Edited)
My XDm in 45ACP (4.5" barrel) is locking back on a loaded magazine. The spent casing envelope indicates a production date of November 2012. Two out of three magazine springs are shorter than the third by 3/8".

Am I barking up the right tree, or should I be troubleshooting a different aspect of the pistol?

#2 ·
If the mag spring is 3.8" longer than the other 2 mag springs, it is probably the wrong spring. That is a lot of extra spring to compress. Therefore, a lot of pressure pushing up.

However, if it is new/old stock gun, it's not uncommon for new SA pistol mags to have strong springs when new, until they are broken in. If it is a new pistol and mags, try loading one less bullet until the springs are broken in.

#6 ·
You and HngnHunter have probably nailed it. I've never done that before, but I was probably letting my right thumb get under the release. I'll pay attention to my grip next time I'm out to the range.

Do you think that I should be concerned (in a general sense) about the two springs that are shorter by 3/8"?

#8 ·
For a right-handed shooter on a pistol with the slide-stop/release on the left side of the frame (muzzle oriented forward), a pretty good diagnostic is whether the premature lock-back goes away when the shooter uses their left hand (only) to shoot.

The spring taking a set should not cause premature lock-back, as @XDm Ed explained how the slide-stop/release mechanism works.

#9 ·
I used to have a high grip with my left hand and was sporadically locking back the slide during rapid fire at uspsa matches.

I would remove the lever as it's not required for matches. Pretty simple to remove and reinstall, just push the retaining pin in about a quarter inch and pull the lever out, reverse for installation.

My grip now is such not to interfere with the lever, so I never remove anymore. A lot of shooters disable the slide release for uspsa since you should never do a slide lock mag change anyway.

#10 ·
^ Yup, a right hander's support hand grip can also cause weirdness with the left-side-of-frame slide-stop/release: either tripping it under recoil or disabling it.

I'm fine with my XDms, but all of my Glocks utilize aftermarket repositioned slide stops/releases as my support hand (I'm right-handed) trips it rather frequently under recoil. 😅

The mechanism is definitely extraneous in some competitive contexts...and even for everyday civilian defensive shooters, while I do appreciate its utility, I also think that a shooter can train around it quite successfully, and it would be a not unreasonable accommodation if that shooter makes this weapon their "one and only."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.