Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an interesting experience with my XD-9 today. I took a couple of guys from no gun countries who work with our consultancey out to shoot my M1 Carbine, AK, Makarov, CZ PCR, and XD-9. One lives in Australia and works mostly in the UK and the other is Canadian. Both had a great time. After going over safey and range rules we started making noise. The Canadian loaded my XD-9 and tried to shoot it but called me over with a problem. The gun was locked up with a round in the chamber. After dropping the magazine I found that the slide would move less than half an inch in either diretion. It was about 3/8 of an inch out of battery and the firing pin was down. I have no idea how he got it into this condition.

I carefully tried everything I could think of short of beating on it with no luck. This included hard hits to the back of the slide with the palm of my hand and working all the levers. As an RSO who is not supposed to let a loaded gun leave the range this put me in a bad situation. Eventually I tapped the back of the slide against the front side of a wooden shooting bench and and drove the gun into battery while keeping it pointed downrange. As soon as it went into battery everything was normal. I was able to eject the round and field strip it for inspection and could not see anything wrong. I reloaded and fired it with no problems. It did fine after that.

I've had my XD-9 lock up similar to this once but never with a round in the chamber. I also seem to remember other posts here about something alomg these lines. What gives?

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Were you using factory ammo? or reloads?

Either way, it sounds like a out of spec round.

even something as small as a grain of sand or some other debris could have caused it.

Some XDs don't like to be handled by non gun friendly users :wink:

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
My .40 Tactical locked up pretty much the same way today. I could not get it to go into battery for the life of me and ended up having to Jam the front of the slide into the rubber range wall to eject the LIVE round. Turned out that the web of the case was too wide (out of spec). It was a reload (sellier&Bellot case) and also the 1st of my reloaded rounds in 13 years to not function. I would have to guess that as mentioned, it was an out of spec round.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was shooting S&B ammo for the first time in this gun. The guide rod is factory stock as is everything else in the factory ported XD-9. The round worked fine later. I don't think it was an ammo related problem but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Bad round....It does happend with factory ammo.

I've had it happen with PMC and S&B ammo. The rounds that were bad were out of spec with a bullet diameter too large..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts