Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riddle me this: why is 223 way higher than 7.62x39? Even if both are Russkie/iron curtian imports....the 223 is always double the price.

Anyone know why 223 is always double what 7.62x39 sells for?

Sorry..but it does not make sense.

- Brickboy240

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
All i can add to this is an echo....locally, the price is very similar to what you reported. I would imagine it a supply and demand issue like mentioned.

Crazy though...but i shoot x39 so i don't complain:)

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our military does not use 223 made in Russia or Serbia, either. They use 5.56 made by Federal or Winchester.....don't they?

Since it takes more material to make 7.62x39 than a similar round of 223...it does not make sense why one is higher than the other if they come fom the same factory and the same country. The Ruskies use the 5.45...not the 7.62x39 OR the 223.

It still does not make sense....sorry.

- Brickboy240

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
If you're talking about Russian imports, then you're dealing with the opposite side of the supply/demand issue. Russian factories have way more production lines devoted to producing 7.62 than they do .223, so the prices will be much lower.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
Because the market will bear it. Most places I've gone to (online) are behind several days in orders at current prices. The commodities price rise earlier this year brought up prices and demand has kept them there.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Russian and most East Bloc countries now use the 5.45x39...not the 7.62x39. Wouldn't they be making that in larger qualtities nowdays? Our mil-spec ammo makers ar not making 30 Carbine or 30-06 anymore...are they?

Odd...because 5.45 is almost the same price as 223 in most of our gun stores.

Pricing on some ammo these days really makes no sense.

- Brickboy240

·
Registered
376 Posts
The Russian and most East Bloc countries now use the 5.45x39...not the 7.62x39. Wouldn't they be making that in larger qualtities nowdays? Our mil-spec ammo makers ar not making 30 Carbine or 30-06 anymore...are they?

Odd...because 5.45 is almost the same price as 223 in most of our gun stores.

Pricing on some ammo these days really makes no sense.

- Brickboy240

I just bought a couple of cases of Bulgarian 5.45. I'm probably going to order a 5.45 upper to put on one of the Obama lowers I bought

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
well the 7.62 AK is still highly utilized so they have to keep making the ammo. Wouldn't be wise if they stopped.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts