Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an xd-40 in 40 s&w with the 12 round mags. I was wondering if it is normal for it to be very hard to load the last 2 or 3 rounds in the magazine. My fingers feel raw from trying. Also, is spending the 10 or so dollars for a magazine speedloader liike the one on pistol-gear.com worth it? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just picked up the sub XD-40 last week and have the same problem with both mags (9 and 12 rounder's) I cant get the last 1 or 2 in.

I have used a few types of loaders that are on the market and have found that THESE work best for me. So easy and quick to use. I received 2 bags with i think 6 loaders.

I just used the biggest blue one to load 9mm and .40 for the XD and SIG because it fits my fat thumb best

This is my first post and I just wanted to say the XD-40 is a great gun!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went ahead and ordered the one from Redi-mag. I should be getting it by tuesday i hope. Thanks for the help...i hope it does the trick

·
Registered
2 Posts
...had the same problem with my Sub .40 and went back to the gun store and asked if maybe the mags are universal (9mm & .40). And that maybe the number shown on the mags were for the 9mm Qty. But they are not. I put 300 rounds through it today and by the end I was able to load the mags to full capacity easily. You just have to give it some use the spring will eventually get easier. And yes, my right thumb is very sore.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got my redi-mag loader today and WOW...what a difference it makes. Thanks for all the help everyone. Now I just need to find a good holster. Any thoughts on the Blackhawk, blackhawk serpa, or the xd gear holsters?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I also had a hard time getting the last 2-3 into the 12 rounders, I first tried the loader w/handle by HKS I think, it seemed like the lever was going to break off on the 12th round. A friend hit the gun show and picked us both up the ADCO Super Thumb, it puts those last ones in no problem!! I traded the HKS in for the Hogue grip, I had shot a HK USP 40 compact with one and it felt pretty good.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
I have a Blackhawk Serpa for my 1911
and an XD gear holster I got with my XD-40

the BlackHawk I bought for the 1911 I really like in fact the plan is to get one for the XD

the xd gear that I got for free is fine based on the price paid(free)

but I sure wouldn't buy another if this one broke which based on what i have seen could happen anytime

in fact the holster I got with the high cap mags and the gun was already broken and had to be replaced

·
Registered
556 Posts
I don't think I'd ever try to break in new mags without a speedloader of some sort. Even with a speed loader, the 12th round can be a real pain until the mags are broken in. I've put about 200 rounds through each of three new magazines, and they're fairly easy to load by hand now.

If you decide to get a different speed loader, I'd recommend grabbing one of the HKS do-jobbies from Pistol-Gear.

http://www.pistol-gear.com/proddetail.php?prod=50PA&cat=8

Cheers!

-James

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Binary0101 said:
I just picked up the sub XD-40 last week and have the same problem with both mags (9 and 12 rounder's) I cant get the last 1 or 2 in.

I have used a few types of loaders that are on the market and have found that THESE work best for me. So easy and quick to use. I received 2 bags with i think 6 loaders.

I just used the biggest blue one to load 9mm and .40 for the XD and SIG because it fits my fat thumb best

This is my first post and I just wanted to say the XD-40 is a great gun!
Welcome to the Xd fun house pull up a chair and stay awhile
P.S. I think Raymond has the same avatar :shock:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just purchased 2 new mags for my HS2000 9mm and also got one of the HKS Magazine Speed Loader for XD Mags from pistol-gear.

I got the model 941 (no other choice) and the mags really don't fit.
There are slots at the bottom of the loader where the butt of the mag is supposed to fit into, but the XD mags butt plate are too thick to fit in the slots, this makes the mags sit a little "off" in the loader.

Anyone else having this issue?

Nick

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same problem with the Hi-cap .40 mags. I could only get about 7 rounds in before it became dangerous...literally creasing cases. This type of spring tension is great for reducing FTL, but a real pain in the loading department. I got the HKS 942 at Sportsman's Warehouse for $7.99. My mags fit just right, and it only takes seconds to load all three mags supplied. At the range, my friends firing Baby Eagles in .40 were also able to use this loader. Someone with an SC would probably be better off with the Super Thumb offered by PistolGear, since the finger extension mags don't fit in the HKS.
This HKS job does feel somewhat flimsy, but it does the trick. The price is right.
If one of you machinists out there figure a way to "copy" this loader in aluminum or high-density plastic, you may be on your way to some real $$$.
I'm somewhat concerned that many of you, here and in other topical posts, reported that the mags get easier to load. This would indicate that the springs may not retain the tension necessary to reliably feed ammo to the chamber. Here in the desert, where dust and sand are a constant, high spring tension is a good thing.....

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Just for the record, I too have trouble getting the last 2 or 3 rounds in the mag. :?

·
Registered
87 Posts
ML1 works great on the SC 40. No effort now to load and I wasn't man enough to get the last two rounds in the twelve round mag. $6.99 and they pay shipping!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm partial to the .40. The ML1 is a mag loader by boonie packer. Works great.

·
Registered
173 Posts
ret97e said:
I got the HKS 942 at Sportsman's Warehouse for $7.99.
Hey ret97e, did you get your XD there as well? I'm still looking for someone local who has the XD40SC in stock at a decent price.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts