Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a heck of a time loading the magazines for my XD40 SC. I was able to put in 8 rounds with increasing difficulty. I just couldn't get the 9th round in. Darn fingers don't work as well as they used to.

I've seen the magazine speed loader offered by pistol-gear.com and it specifies that it's for long magazines. Not having seen a full picture, I assume the bottom of this device overlaps the bottom of the magazine for leverage. Will this tool work with the short magazines with the Pierce mag extensions? Would it be possible to manufacture a spacer that would fill the void that would occur with the short mag whether it has the Pierce extension on it or not.? I thought I'd leave one clip stock and put the extension on the other one.

Thanks, WyoBob

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I'm completely unsure of how the one on Pistol-Gear works but the regular Promag ones or the Glock one would both work fine for the sub mags.

*cough* the loader is about the onlything Promag makes worth a crap *cough*
Darn I need to get rid of this cold.

·
Registered
133 Posts
they are new springs, you need to ease them into use. put a number of rounds in each mag and let them sit for a day or two, come back, add some more rounds and repeat until you can fill your mags.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
I have a HKS speedloader and I had to modify it to fit my sub 9 mags. It needed further modification for the pierce grips. I had pictures showing what I did to modify them here till the jerk messed with the forum. I can put them back up if you want to see how to do it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I also had to modify an HKS loader to fit a subcompact with pearce bottom. I use it, but I would choose a different type. That promag loader looks interesting. I was about to buy one from cabelas for like $4 or something like that.

The other things I have which I use a lot. Don't laugh, but these work pretty good once you get the hang of it. http://www.magloader.com My thumb muscle got a little sore after shooting the 9mm so much, so that's when I got the HKS :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jorday said:
they are new springs, you need to ease them into use. put a number of rounds in each mag and let them sit for a day or two, come back, add some more rounds and repeat until you can fill your mags.
Thanks,

I've had 8 rounds in the mags for several days. The 8th rounds went in really hard. I just added a 9th using a desk edge, paper shims to keep the 9th bullet on the same plane as the mag and the end of a pen to shove the 8th round in farther. Not something that would work very well at the range:)

WyoBob

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The HKS and the loader offered by pistol gear look the same. Same principal, anyway. I saw the Promag on the Cabela's site. As it's metal, I'd worry about scratching the magazines (and, I couldn't figure out exactly how it works). I noted that the HKS offeres an adjustable loader. Maybe that would solve the problem.

Thanks, guys!

WyoBob

·
Registered
85 Posts
I see lots of different types searching www.froogle.com with "magazine loader". Maybe you'd like the safariland kind. I'm in the market for another loader as well. Well, maybe not, unless I see something very cool.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Whoa! The cadillac of universal loaders:

World Wide Ordnance's Cambi Universal Loader:

It's big bucks though. Like $30.

And then look at this $6 contraption from cheaper than dirt:

·
Registered
388 Posts
The HKS 452 will work with XD mags, both hi-cap and subcompact. I own one and it was well worth the $11.50. My friend uses one with his Pierce-gripped SC and is equally happy. The only room for improvement is a slight shim on the inside to prevent the mag from moving around laterally.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a ProMag loader and it works great. I haven't noticed any damage to the mags. This loader would definitely work with both SC and regular mags. Easy to use, cheap and it is nice n small.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts