Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that magazines will wear out over time if they are left filled, which would really such with a home protection weapon you may need to use one day. The XDm is a bit unusual with its high 16 round capacity, so I'm wondering how long you guys think it will last fully loaded. Also, the guy at my gun shop who has an orgasm every time I ask a gun question said that statitstics show that gun fights rarely last more than 5 rounds. How long would the 16 round magizine last with only 5 rounds in it before it wore out?

I was thinking about just leaving my mag loaded with 5 or 6 rounds in it so if I forget to repace it every three months it will still work properly. Just wondering if that would be a good idea.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Actually the cycling of rounds through the mag will wear it out faster than leaving it full. Load em up leave em loaded won't hurt them a bit. There's been more than a few stories of guys leaving there mags loaded for a long time and then being put back in to use with absolutely no problems what so ever. In fact there's a guy on here that found a bunch of 1911 mags fully loaded that his dad had put away something like 20 years ago used them and they worked fine. I would find the thread for you but I'm feeling a little lazy tonight!!!;)

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
I have mags loaded that I did 10 years ago.... they have no problems..

just "leave" them loaded.. no worries... as another member stated, cycling the mags wears them out... not compressing them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Okay so how does one identify that a mag spring is wearing out? I do try to shoot my guns weekly to stay proficient anywere from 20-100 rounds through each gun. I do have a mag in each gun that is loaded with carry ammo and hoe defense ammo and those are set aside and not used as much. What is life expectancy from a mag?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok great I guess I'm just misinformed. I was told that leaving a magazine fully loaded is bad for it because the spring will be under constant tension which will wear out the spring. That that's not accurate is really good news.

In that case I'll just buy a mag and load it up with Federal Hydra Shocks then and hope I never have to use it.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Jeff Cooper, rest his soul, reported that an mp40 and magazine left over from WW2 were found in a basement in Germany just a few years ago. It was fully loaded and when tested was found to operate as per specification in the gun it was found with. Now... I'm no advocate of leaving a magazine loaded for over 50 years but I think we get a little too concerned about some things, and magazine longevity is one of them.

I used to rotate my mags at quaterly intervals until then, but after that incident and reading of several others, as well as someone who deliberately left some 45 auto mags loaded for over five years to test them and found them perfectly functional, I am not so concerned as I once was on this subject. I now dont worry about it anymore, and since I shoot even my "home defense" gun occasionally and have never had an issue with the mags even though they have been left loaded for as much as a year I think there is little cause for concern about loaded magazines.

As to frequently used magazines, I have several guns I put about 10,000 rounds a year through and have never worn out a magazine yet. However, once the bad old days of the 10 round magazine was over, I updated to new 12 round ones and have been using them instead so I cant say I have used the same ones for the whole time until now, and I did have more than a few magazines to chose from at any time so no one magazine bore the whole load of all my shooting. That said, if you are experiencing some failures to feed on the last few rounds in a mag, then perhaps some new springs are in order. They are relatively cheap and easily acquired from either Springfield or Wolf so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Full is fine. I stumbled across and old .45 mag I had loaded over 10 years ago(gun I sold 10 years ago) Unloaded and reloaded and has plenty of spring tension. I do have seperate mags for target practice and SD. Put a thousand rounds through a mag and then compare it to one that has just stayed loaded. You will see the difference.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok, now that we have established that mags can be kept loaded from 1-50 years....how about the ammo? I recently heard that "every round has an expiration date like a can of tuna".(yeah it was on CSI) Is this true? If so, why don't they put an expiration date on the box? How would you be able to stockpile for SHTF? Rotate it out?
I don't see how it could go bad unless it go wet or something...
So, how long does ammo last?

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
when i had my Glock 17 i had one mag loaded for 8 years and it cycled with no problem......

i finally shot that mag-full before i traded the G17 for my XD-9 :)

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Yep, doesn't hurt them, as they are not being compressed past their stretch/memory point...

·
Registered
18 Posts
...I do have a mag in each gun that is loaded with carry ammo and hoe defense ammo ...

Sorry, but I could not let this go...

You a pimp? You hoes gettin' robbed? Try the new XDM 9 from Springfield Armory! You be da baddest mofo in da hood. No mo worryin bout dem hoes gettin rolled when you totin dis mutha.

Again, my insanity sometimes takes over and I cannot help myself. Sorry

/end hijack

·
Registered
46 Posts
LMAO... typo error. There was a time, due to the area that I lived in and the area that I managed stores in that I had to worry about that. In my life today more home defense and just in case situations on the street. Good catch on the hoe deffense statement. LMAO<:D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Trevor in response to your ammo question. As long as it is non-corrosive, subjected to corrosive chemicals or compounds, it should last for a few decades.

I routinely by old military surplus ammo that works just fine. Even when some of it may be left over from WW II, Korea, or Vietnam. If you worry about your ammo going bad I would suggest you limit your ammos contact with corrosive compunds. It's always good to keep your ammo dry so as to not cause function problems with your weapons.

THere may be others here who are more knowledgeable about this particular subject than I am. If so maybe they will expand on, or correct what I have said.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts