Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The loaded chamber indicator on my XD9 is "stuck" in the up (hot, loaded) position.

Has anyone had this happen? What is the fix?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Most likely it is gunked up. Disassembly instructions can be had at xd-hs2000.com, the other possibility is the spring has became detatched but since it is stuck up and just doesn't flop up and down, its probably gunk.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Disassemble the slide and see it has a lot of build up. Spray some cleaner and oil. Can you manually push it down or is it feel jammed like the spring or something is preventing it form going down at all.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
OK.. now I am sure you have checked this.. but are you absolutely sure there is no round chambered? Having double and tripple checked this. I can only see "gunk" being your problem. There are only three parts that can be the problem.

Parts 37,38, or 39.. the indicator, indicator pin, or indicator spring. Logic says it most likely is not the pin.. that just holds things in place.. if the spring failed, you would think it would not push up.. so that doesn't make sense.. so either some grime has got under the indicator not allowing it t fall, or something is pushing up on the spring causing the indicator to raise.

Good luck.

Raymond

·
Registered
539 Posts
Captain Ray said:
OK.. now I am sure you have checked this.. but are you absolutely sure there is no round chambered? Having double and tripple checked this. I can only see "gunk" being your problem. There are only three parts that can be the problem.

Parts 37,38, or 39.. the indicator, indicator pin, or indicator spring. Logic says it most likely is not the pin.. that just holds things in place.. if the spring failed, you would think it would not push up.. so that doesn't make sense.. so either some grime has got under the indicator not allowing it t fall, or something is pushing up on the spring causing the indicator to raise.

Good luck.

Raymond
I agree that it would probably be one of those parts or gunk caught underneath. HOwever, doesn't the spring push up from the other end keeping the indicator down? Which would be why it is normally down and only up when a cartridge is chambered and physically pushes the opposite end of the indicator lever up?

Anyway... can you push the indicator down manually? or is there resistance when you try to? IF there is resistance, i wouldn't try to force it. That may just worsen the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let's say the indicator has a 100% range of travel.

Mine works, that is to say the spring does it's job and pushes the indicator back down the first 35-40%. Then "something" stops it from going the rest of the way.

Whatever the stoppage is, it can not be manually pressed (even hard) down. I have not tried a rubber mallet but I don't think I will. If it is gunk is is some gunk.

I suppose a takedown of the slide is in order. Sounds like it could only be blocked or broked.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Removing the indicator is simple, and doesn't require any real slide disassembly. There's just one pin to remove.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Eric_Oh said:
doesn't the spring push up from the other end keeping the indicator down?
I honestly do not know... ****!! Now I am going to have to take my pistol apart again! Son of a Bitch! Thanks alot Eric!!!

Good times! 8)

Raymond

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
It turns out that Eric is totally right. The spring keeps the indicator down unitl a round is chambered which lifts it up. I think what you will need to do is take down the entire slide dissembly..(you don't have to take out the extractor if you don't want to, this should not be part of your problem.) I would bet that you have some piece of "gunk" lodged between the slide frame and your indicator that is stuck in there.. that will be easy enough to see after you remove the indicator, indicator spring, and indicator pin, and the entire slide assembly! LOL

It's not that hard, just follow the instructions at http://www.xd-hs2000.com/disassembly/disassembly.html Click on slide disassembly.

Good luck, and take pictures!

Raymond

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Or you could just spray underneath there with some action cleaner like I was telling Ajames..

Hey!!!

Raymond

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Why all this talk about disassembling the slide? It's ONE PIN to remove the indicator, is it not?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Come on.. I was just trying to help Ajames out. How many times have I pulled his ass out of the fire...??? OK.. Never... I was just trying to be helpful. Spraying some lube/solvent into the crease is the obvious solution.. I just didn't see it right away.

Nobody is perfect.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Put on some goggles and spray some
into the pivoting mechanism. Don't put any lube in there, it's probably what is causing the "gunk" to accumulate in the first place. If it remains stuck then it needs to be dismantled and some proper professional attention given to your problem

Personally, I don't rely 100% on the loaded chamber indicator or the "weapon is cocked" indicator. If the front portion of the chamber loaded indicator were to snap off for some freak reason, then you have a dangerous false reading. Same goes for the cocked weapon indicator.

Remove the magazine, rack the slide and visually check the chamber........then check it again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah the lube (Eesox) angle definatly did not solve the problem. I'll try the gun scrubber angle.

If I do end up needing to take it apart... did we decide whether or not I need to take apart the entire slid or just start with the pin/indicator?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
kmclarke said:
did we decide whether or not I need to take apart the entire slid or just start with the pin/indicator?
I'm with Overkill here; there's no need to remove anything from the slide here except for part #38, the "Loaded Chamber Indicator Pin", and then the rest of the LCI parts. If I were you, I'd have probably already just tapped that pin out. However, if you can fix it without removing the pin, that's even better.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
[TASF said:
Overkill]Why all this talk about disassembling the slide? It's ONE PIN to remove the indicator, is it not?
As [TASF]Overkill stated already, it should be just the part that is in question. No need to take apart your whole pistol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Once again the XD forum members prove all knowing...

Thanks for sharing the knowledge. I knocked out the indicator pin last night and found a small but hard buildup of gunk under the indicator opposite the spring.

Blast of clp and a stiff brush and I am on my way indicator level (when not loaded.)

You guys rock.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I had the issue on a new XD and I found the original pin was a joke. It had large pits in it and was warped in the middle. SA send me a new one but did not knurle the end so it was loose. The sent another that had been done correctly and it has been fine ever since. However, if yours was working properly before then I agree with others that it has gotten gunk in there.

Does anyone make a replacement part that is ground down (so to speak)? The LCI is not required here and I would just rather do without one.

·
Registered
133 Posts
[TASF said:
Overkill]Removing the indicator is simple, and doesn't require any real slide disassembly. There's just one pin to remove.
Best advice so far...

Remove the pin with a small punch or something, make sure to keep it covered and in a clear area so you don't lose the spring. You should be able to do this in about 3-5 min remove the obstruction, and put it back together. Nothing to it.

Everything on this gun is EXTREMELY easy to disassemble and reassemble except for the mag release spring mechanism. Don't ever remove this - it is a BEAOTCH to get back together.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts