Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you actually look at it, or do you press check? Do you use it in the dark by feel?

I have an idea for my indicator for night checking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
What? Why would you need to check? You don't know when you have a loaded chamber? The guns in my house that are not in the safe or on me are always 1 up ready to go.

·
Registered
67 Posts
^ yep agreed... the home defense is ready to go all others are "loaded" like the rules state... but empty. Still interested in your idea tho. I thought of the glow on paint but I'm not sure it would stay.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to do something more permanent. I've sourced a replacement if I bugger it.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
If its a home defense weapon, its got 1 in the pipe and a full mag. No exceptions for me. No fiddling with indicators (got a G29 too). One less thing I have to deal with when that big jolt of adrenalin hits.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
No need to press check. There are threads a mile long on that and ding dong vids galore about it. Keep em loaded and hot .

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
If you don't know if your gun is not loaded or not, you shouldn't have it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow the commandos abound. So you guys NEVER check your guns huh? You are just that good. LOL. I guess I just wasted my time.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Wow the commandos abound. So you guys NEVER check your guns huh? You are just that good. LOL. I guess I just wasted my time.

One of the golden rules of firearms, guns are ALWAYS loaded, even if they aren't.

And most never check because the only time they don't have one in the chamber is during cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I hate the direction this is turning but I'm saying if you guys aren't checking your piece when you pick it up you are FOS, or very unsafe. Of course it's loaded until known otherwise. Which is the nature of the damn question. I swear this is like a bunch of asperger kids!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well I hate the direction this is turning but I'm saying if you guys aren't checking your piece when you pick it up you are FOS, or very unsafe. Of course it's loaded until known otherwise. Which is the nature of the damn question. I swear this is like a bunch of asberger kids!

You like to know 100%. Nothing wrong with that. I'm curious though. What exactly are you trying to do to help you at night?

·
Premium Member
127,986 Posts
In a "combat" situation never look at your firearm. Do not take your eyes off threats or potential threats. Tactile confirmation is what you should be doing.

·
Registered
230 Posts
To me the LCI is not very useful. There is no realistic scenario for me where checking "the old fashioned way" won't work better. I resent the useless part in the middle of everything adding one more thing that can go wrong and more nooks and crannies to clean. I particularly dislike the sharp notch in the barrel hood this design requires.

The xds is a very nice gun (either caliber) but it isn't perfect. The other things less than perfect to my taste are the waffle grip pattern, the complexity of the design (it's not terrible, but Glocks are a fair bit simpler), and I wish the grip was about 1/4 inch shorter, even if it costs a magazine round.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
most never check because the only time they don't have one in the chamber is during cleaning.
^^ This, in spades. I unload it to clean it. When I'm done, I load one in the mag, chamber it, remove the mag - if it is empty, I know the gun is now loaded - then load 5 to fill the mag. I then put it in the holster where it will be on my person all day, every day, except when I'm in bed or in the shower, and then it is beside me, or when I'm in a posted location, and then it is in my car safe. It is never under anyone else's control, and it won't unload itself, so why do I need to check?

And to the OP, making disparaging comments about the posters responding to your thread is pretty bad form. I don't see any of the folks who disagree with you saying such things about you, why do you feel the need to do so toward them?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Good response Justa! OP besides the LCI you can also see a round is chambered port side in the cut out. I handle my firearms exactly in the same fashion as Justa. Loaded and hot or I'm cleaning and lubing.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Don't you guys ever do dry fire practice?
Sure, and I treat it the same as cleaning. For sure, in this situation the LCI doesn't tell you anything useful.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts