Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for abt 500 rnds of decent range ammo 223/5.56 for some shoot it now, but want good brass cases for reloading when I get setup. Saw some cheap prices on DRS w/ remanufactured Lake City brass and for PMC bronze. Any first hand experiences with these or other (cheap) brands where the intention is to end up with reliable quality reloading brass?
I reload now, just need the dies and supplies for 223. But new to AR. Just got my first AR and haven't even sighted it in yet so not sure what ammo it will shoot most accurately so no experience basis for selection of brands. Don't want to start with expensive stuff. Have a few hundred Federalon hand but these are not good brass for reloading. 16" midlength 1: 7 twist.
Want to pick up some online before end of M day sales today. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Don't have any first hand experience but a guy that shoots service rifle matches with us uses PMC bronze and he always get pretty darn good scores. He also picks up the brass for reloading and I've never heard him complain about the brass.

·
Registered
786 Posts
why do you say Federal brass is no good for reloading? I've loaded unknown thousands of Federal casings.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was looking at the PMC Bronze 55gr for 20 @ $5.60 ($.28 per rnd) and the DRS remanufactured 55gr for 500 @ $145 ($.29 per rnd). There were some quality complaints on the DRS but most were from 5yrs ago, not much on the newer stuff. Some dents but LC is normally good brass. PMC usually gets good reviews for shooting but did not know about the PMC brass for reloading.
As far as Federal, I reload plenty of the pistol caliber brass. I only know about the 223/5.56 from reading forums. Complaints of brass too soft: rims getting chewed fast so not cycling well in an AR and loose primer pockets after one reload. No experience there myself on ARs. I have a trimmer and pocket swagger so not concenred about mil brass and necks usually annealed.
Any good brand with free shipping would bring down the cost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts