Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this dangerous?

I am worried about the pressure being too high. The bullet has the proper C.O.L. for Flat Point semi-wadcutter.

I would have pulled the bullets already but I don't have the proper collet for my bullet pulling tool...

Can I shoot them safely, or am I playing with fire? (I only loaded about 15 of them)

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Are you talking about reloading a .357 Sig. case with a 9mm bullet? Or loading 9mm Para. into your gun? I think the first is okay (9mm=.355) but the second dangerous and pointless.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I reloaded a 357sig case with a 9mm parabellum bullet.

Target loads typically have a flat nose 9mm bullet.

I know that as little as 1mm setback in a 40 S&W can cause dangerous overpressure situations. That is why I am worried.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
It depends on the charge you have in the case. If your shooting a hot load then I wouldnt shoot them. If its a mild load then you would probably be ok.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Bullets for the 9mm do not measure .355 at the crimp or where the case grips the bullet. The long bullets for the 9mm will not work. The Hornady 124 FP the Rainier 124 FP work great. Most FP work and the Speer GD. I use Bluedot or AA #9 they fill the case and help with bullet setback. You may need to chamfer the inside of the cases to get the bullets to seat without buckling the case. You will not need to with the Rainier 124 FP and yes they will take the velocity. After loading Many thousands of 357 SIG I got lazy and starting shooting more 40's,

Thanks,Keith

·
Registered
516 Posts
What specs does the bullet you loaded have. Many bullets for 9-mm and .357 sig can be used in either. The main reason to use a FP in the .357 sig is so the short neck can hold the bullet. Most RN bullets have too much of a ogive (taper) and the .357 sig case mouth will not hold them securely. If the bullet is not held securely setback will occur when the round is chambered. Pulling the trigger in that situation is not a good idea. Check and see how tight the bullet is being held by the case by pressing it against a bathroom scale and measuring it before and after. if it moves back at all at all with less than 40-45# of pressure it's too loose. Also keep in mind if it grows it's too loose as well.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Is this dangerous?

I am worried about the pressure being too high. The bullet has the proper C.O.L. for Flat Point semi-wadcutter.

I would have pulled the bullets already but I don't have the proper collet for my bullet pulling tool...

Can I shoot them safely, or am I playing with fire? (I only loaded about 15 of them)
The other guiys are right, most 9mm bullets DO NOT work in 357sig. You need a truncated cone shape, FMJ or JHP. You need a full diameter bearing of the bullet in the case neck & a good taper crimp. If you are using a fast or uberfast powder & running max, you defiently have a problem w/ 1mm setback.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts