Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I purchased a new .40 SC yesterday, the dealer installed new Wolf mag springs in the 2 regular and 1 extended mag that came in the kit. Anyway, he told me, as a rule of thumb, always load any mags, regardless of pistol / mag type, with 1 less round than the mag's actual capacity. As an example, the extended mag carries 12 rounds, so never load more than 11. Feedback please. Thanks !

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Your dealer is wrong. Load them up to the hilt, chamber a round, eject the magazine and replace the round so you have 12+1.

Your pistol will love you for it.

The springs wear from cycling them. Their being compressed does them no harm.. and I have yet to hear of anyone complaining that their mag's have gotten' tired on them.

Raymond

·
Registered
889 Posts
Welcome to forum.
Load them to capacity, it may be hard to get the last ones in at first, but it will get easyer once the springs get worn a little. You might want to check if that dealer can find the "thumbs" that made up that rule.
Don't worry about it there is nothing wrong with loading your mag all the way. Next thing you know he is going to tell you not to leave them loaded, because it is bad for the springs. The truth is the springs ware out from being loaded and unloaded, not from storing them loaded, so load "em up".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Much thanks for the info. Yes, the new mags are hellatious to load fully, so I did get a speedloader to assist me, which works fine. I will heed everyone's collective advice and load to the hilt. Thanks again !

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Loading the mags is not a big deal.. Your thumbs can handle it.. where you are going to run into a problem is removing your full mags. This is normal. It takes a while before the springs loosen up, and releasing the full mags is troublesome.

They will losten up. I promise!

Raymond

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Uhhhh..yeah..for that matter I load 10 rounds into my 9 round .40 mag and then chamber 1 and add another to the mag for a total of 10+1 in my XD-40 SC. It works like a champ at the range so I carry this way as well.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Load them up, your dealer is a moron IMO.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I have heard that if you don't use your magazines regulary that they should be stored empty, I've also heard that if stored for a peroid of time you should put 2 rounds in the mag. But never heard to -1 round. My pops had a few 7rnd 1911 45 mags that were military surplus that he had completly loaded and put them up and had forgoten about them for what he guess was about 4 years. A little cleaning to get the dust off and a little oil and they work just fine.

And you know those springs were not near the quality or Wolff Springs

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
There are verified records of 1911 mags working fine after having been fully loaded for over 50 years.

The dealer is misinformed (not a rare occurrence), LOAD 'EM UP!!!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
AJames said:
If your that paranoid change the mag springs once a year..........Oh yea your dealer is a moron.
James! That is pretty harsh language coming from you! You are right of course... as usual..

me

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Can you imagine any leo following that lame advice. I don't know of anyone that I worked with who did so and anyway, the dept. required the Beretta to be carried with one in the chamber and 15 in the mag.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My son's department requires them to load -1.

When I was in the Army we were always told never load to capacity. That was almost forty years ago.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts