Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my reloading stuff is starting to arrive. I have:

4 Pounds of VV N320
1000 100M Federal Match Small Pistol Primers Mfr. Part: 100M
1000 Bayou Bullets - Polymer Coated Cast Lead 9MM Bullets 147 GRAIN
Lots of once fired 9MM brass, deprimed and tumbled, ready to go

Now, any thoughts on amount of VV320 and OAL? One guy I shoot with suggests 3.3 to 3.5 range for the powder. Does that sound reasonable? Is there an OAL length I should be loading to?

Shooting XDM 5.25 Competition in 9MM.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Sounds reasonable in my opinion assuming the bullets are 115gr, but I've been wrong before.

Do you have a manual or 3?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds reasonable in my opinion assuming the bullets are 115gr, but I've been wrong before.

Do you have a manual or 3?
Sorry, the bullets are 147 grain.

Yes, I have a couple. I have trouble finding cast lead with VV320. Most of the bullet data is for brand name bullets (Hornady, etc.).

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I would try 3.5 gr at 1.135 to start. You do have (or access to) a chronograph; right? Don't know if you're planning on shooting competition or not but would only need about 850 fps to make minor if you have that in mind.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Sorry, the bullets are 147 grain.

Yes, I have a couple. I have trouble finding cast lead with VV320. Most of the bullet data is for brand name bullets (Hornady, etc.).
Ya Vihtavuori doesn't supply data for 147gr lead bullets for that powder.

They suggest 3.5gr - 3.8gr for 147gr plated bullets.

So, yes I think your original post of 3.3gr - 3.5gr is on target. I would start at 3.3gr or 3.2gr.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Check out Brian Enos' Forum. N320 and 147 gr. bullets are loaded to make minor and you shouldn't have any trouble finding a good load recommendation. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts