Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they any good? Saw a really nice looking one for $230 new at a pawn shop. I am suspect about that price, but it was a beautiful looking piece. For that price, I would expect it to work like crap.

It looked like this, all grey with matching grey grips:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=37200730

by the way, it said new on the tag and appeared to have never been handled.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Usally you get what you paid for. I would chose a Hi-Point over that Llama 1911.
But thats me . :wink:

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hahahha ouch! that says enough for me!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Doesn't Michael Jackson have one of those?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Llama's are hit and miss. I'd go over it really well before dropping any cash on it.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'd keep looking. I don't think that they even use 1911 parts, or that might have been some other 1911 copy from brazil. If you want some thing on the cheep side you could look at a Charles Daly, Norinco, or an Auto Ordance. They are all on the cheep side, but at least they all use OEM 1911 parts. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
My Llama max 1 works better than the three made in the USA 1911`s have. Although 230 used plus shipping is high. The retail less than 300 and more like 250 new at Academy sports. My one recommendation is get a Wilson combat mag. At Llamas website they have a list of the parts that are interchangeable. In detail dis assembly the main parts that differ are the extractor (llama is external) grips no bushing (I think its less to break and strip out) and the plunger tube is screwed in instead of riveted (the riveted one always seem to come loose on me). The main spring housing has a pin to hold it in but also screws into place that also a little different.

To make mine function 100% I changed the recoil spring to something a little stronger. I filed the sights so the it more square in the rear dove tail. and I filed the slide stop just a bit to get rid of a burr. I did somewhat polish the feed ramp but it really did not need it. So far it runs great the trick was the spring, its a metal pistol that will take abuse and if it breaks your only out 230.00. Plus if something breaks you can take it to Selma Al to fix it, one of the regional repair centers is an hr and half away from you. Hmmmm I made that trip many times from Marion to Auburn to see "friends".

I bough mine to practice a melt job on it, but it worked so I left it stock.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Man this is really digging up a dead thread.

Alright we have a LLAMA 1911 clone. Shoots just fine. Goes bang when I pull the trigger. Holds a group good enough to kill a threat. Takes USGI surplus mags which is why I now own a very large stack of mags.

The one problem I have with it is it dosen't like to feep JHP ammo. Though this has been a problem even with the American made 1911's that I have shot in my experience.

About to polish up the feed ramp a little and see how she shoots JHP ammo then.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have a retired army ranger friend who has 2 llama's and will not own another gun. He is a doctor now, and still will not carry anything else. He got them both at academy for 300.00 dollars!! He did say he had to have some extractor work on one of them, but he has thousands of rounds through them and they still look and shoot great.

I know, he said, she said, but this is my only experience with llama's. That and that rediculous llama song. Google search llama song, you'll see what I mean. Feel free to curse my very existance as you will never get that song out of your head!! Jake.

T

·
0 Posts
If you're buying it for anything but home protection, i'd get something else. I have one, it's been very reliable, never had a single malfunction with it in over 3 years and 500+ shots. It's cheap because llamas are all cheap, but they are dependable handguns.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
bigjakern said:
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/llama.php

I just hope none of you have to experience the blank stares you will recieve when you unwittingly start singing this song in front of others at work tommorrow. Sorry for the hijack, but I had to share the pain with my friends.
best song ever.

A friend of mine has a llama 1911 .45 that his grandfather "acquired" while in europe during the war. It looks nice but he (my friend) has never shot it at all. It's a sentimental thing I suppose.
I don't know the whole story behind the gun regrettably.

·
Premium Member
21,574 Posts
Llama vs. most other 1911's= Mcdonalds vs. Most expensive steakhouse you know of

1 - 17 of 17 Posts