Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was in the mall with the family and we were in the play area. I was walking around in the play area watching the kid play and next thing I know I'm tripping over one of the little padded animals sticking out of the floor. I totally bust my ass and my shirt rode up my back exposing my CCW. I stand up, adjust, and compose myself. Knowing I just showed a bunch of moms and kids my gun I scan to see who actually noticed. I did have a few adult eyes on me and to my knowledge, no kids paid attention. No one said anything but I did get some looks. I'm just glad there wasnt some busy body supermom to lecture me about guns and kids. On the plus side, my supertuck held the XD40 service in perfect place. Had I been using my Uncle Mike's there's a good chance the gun could have ended up on the floor.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
So I was in the mall with the family and we were in the play area. I was walking around in the play area watching the kid play and next thing I know I'm tripping over one of the little padded animals sticking out of the floor. I totally bust my ass and my shirt rode up my back exposing my CCW. I stand up, adjust, and compose myself. Knowing I just showed a bunch of moms and kids my gun I scan to see who actually noticed. I did have a few adult eyes on me and to my knowledge, no kids paid attention. No one said anything but I did get some looks. I'm just glad there wasnt some busy body supermom to lecture me about guns and kids. On the plus side, my supertuck held the XD40 service in perfect place. Had I been using my Uncle Mike's there's a good chance the gun could have ended up on the floor.

Lessons learned from this?
1 - Buy a Crossbreed :twisted:
2 - Look before you step :p

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been known to trip over flat surfaces

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
You where scanning the area for BGs right? ;)

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
They probably didn't see a gun, but rather just some uncoordinated goofy guy.

·
Registered
921 Posts
NO, no no. You see you have it all wrong. Since you were in a mall, you executed a tactical ninja roll to ensure no bad guys were shadowing you. The exposure of you weapon was merely an intended result so that it could be drawn quickly should the Bad guys been noticed upon completion of said tactical roll. Having sufficiently scanned the area, you returned your weapon to its proper storage status since there was no need to use said weapon.

(I have read Gecko45's advice many times, thats how i know this to be fact !:))

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ yeah, I'm going with that.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Maybe they were not staring at you because they saw your gun... its completely possible they were staring at you because they just saw some [email protected] trip over a toy and land on his backside LOL!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Plus how do they know you're not a off duty police officer ir something...

I wouldn't worry had I witnessed someone's ccw especially being at a playground in a mall with their kid.

If you were there by yourself and lookin' a little "out if place"... I'd admit I'd report you... :S
No offense to of course
Sent from TapaAtrix

·
Registered
524 Posts
Damnit someone already made a gecko reference, lost all my steam. I bet he put the animal there because he saw a bulge from his under cover vantage point.(trash can)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Plus how do they know you're not a off duty police officer ir something...

I wouldn't worry had I witnessed someone's ccw especially being at a playground in a mall with their kid.

If you were there by yourself and lookin' a little "out if place"... I'd admit I'd report you... :S
No offense to of course
Sent from TapaAtrix
I have been wondering about that, too. How often people just assume a CCW person might be an off duty cop.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Yeah I had a mishap as well. You can read about it in my "You know you are comfortable concealed carrying when. . .
Personally I blame Mark for my mishap, he makes the crossbreed too confortable:) Just teasing about blaming you Mark.:p

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Good holster. Good reaction from you. Don't make a big deal of it and most others won't, either.

Of the 10 people who see your gun:
8 will think you're some type of LEO.
1 will be a BG who suddenly decides today is not the day to rob McDonald's.
1 will be another CWPer who will smile and think to himself, "I am not alone."

Occasionally, you will encounter the arrogant, pompous, anti busybody who things his opinion is the law of the land. If he calls the LEOs, politely explain to them you ARE carrying legally. If he continues to harass you, call the LEOS yourself and complain.

·
Registered
9,821 Posts
Of the 10 people who see your gun:
8 will think you're some type of LEO.
1 will be a BG who suddenly decides today is not the day to rob McDonald's.
1 will be another CWPer who will smile and think to himself, "I am not alone."
It would be great if it was 1 in 10. Nationally, about 1.8% have a CCW permit, and we know from many tales here that only some portion of those actually carry regularly.

To the OP, great recovery.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
If I had a good concealment holster I would carry more often. I usually just go with the Hawaiian short and OC. That works reasonably well. Not that OC is a problem here in AZ.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
It would be great if it was 1 in 10. Nationally, about 1.8% have a CCW permit, and we know from many tales here that only some portion of those actually carry regularly.

To the OP, great recovery.
Yea, I know - but "hope springs eternal...".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts