Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my impression. Until I fell into a box of it, I had never heard of the caliber....apparently, nobody else has either as I have found zero interest in it.

From what I gather it was a late '80's caliber.

You think all the .41's have been rechambered? :confused:

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
It was killed by the .40S&W (as I understand it).

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
It was killed by the .40S&W (as I understand it).
Yep, once the 40 hit town, no one makes a 41ae anymore. If you have one, you have to reload & the bullets are not easy to find as they are 41cal if I remember right.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is my disappointment. I have been looking to sell a box for over a week. There has been zero interest...all over the net. Ok fine...hardly anyone wants it...I understand that, but you would figure there would be somebody in the the wide world to have some interest at least.

I guess I will put it with my vintage shotgun shells and forget.

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
Yep, once the 40 hit town, no one makes a 41ae anymore. If you have one, you have to reload & the bullets are not easy to find as they are 41cal if I remember right.
lots of 41 cal bullets out there, for the 41 mag. not super popular but it sure has a larger following than 41AE

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
lots of 41 cal bullets out there, for the 41 mag. not super popular but it sure has a larger following than 41AE
Yes, I shoot a 41mag, but most of those bullets would not be suitable in the 41ae. That & the advent of the 40 killed it. That's how it goes though.
I put together a SMolt back in the day. I wanted a heavy lug 357mag but am not a huge Python fan. Then about 3yrs later, S&W comes out w/ their M686. So while the 41ae was a good idea, it wasn't supported & S&W came along & made it a bit better.

·
Registered
921 Posts
That is my disappointment. I have been looking to sell a box for over a week. There has been zero interest...all over the net. Ok fine...hardly anyone wants it...I understand that, but you would figure there would be somebody in the the wide world to have some interest at least.

I guess I will put it with my vintage shotgun shells and forget.
Find someone with a desert eagle with a 41 chamber.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
It was an answer in search of a question. Orphan caliber.

Now if they had loaded it to push a 170 gr up to 2000-2200 fps, then it might have been interesting...

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Now if they had loaded it to push a 170 gr up to 2000-2200 fps, then it might have been interesting...
Yeah, can't even get that out of a 41magnum in an 8" bbl. That would likely require a 45cas case necked to 41 caliber & then still a looong bbl.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
It also had/has a rebated and 9mm rim size. It was an interesting cartridge and like fred stated, the .40 S&W closed the chapter on further manufacture of pistols. There are a good number of cast/plated .411s that will work but as mentioned, about the only thing suitable for defense would be the SIERRA 170 gr. JHC. It can be a sizzler in .41 Magnum but it's jacket is a bit thin. If I had a 4" M57 I'd probably load them between 1200 & 1250 FPS MAX. for defense use. The .41 AE would push heavier bullets faster at lower pressure than the .40 but couldn't contend with the 10mm because of the 9mm size pistols chambered for it. I never looked at it as a solution in search of a problem and thought it had its merits including conversion kits from 9mm to .41 AE and I'm thinking Tanfoglio was in play somewhere since a good number of the Baby Eagles parts were made for IMI by Tanfoglio. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.