Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
7,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever use the liquid brass cleaner or polish that I guess can be used in place of the usual tumbling in corn or walnut media? Any thoughts good or bad?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've been told that if there is ammonia in the liquid it could cause the brass to deteriorate. Don't know for sure so I've never tried it. I'll stick with corn cob and walnut.

Art

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
Ammonia can turn the brass brittle, which obviously isn't good for containing small explosions! "Probably" won't hurt it immediately, but most reload their brass several times. Why chance it when there are other products out there. Try a SMALL amount of NuFinish auto wax, or get some Hornady One Shot. I've found the NuFinish can leave a film on the brass once the media get loaded up with it. I ended up trashing a whole batch and went with a mix of ceramic media and regular corncob/walnut shells.

If you don't want to tumble, try washing the brass in water and washing soda (NOT baking soda). Get the soda in the laundry section. I may even use a smidgen of regular soap. You can let it soak for awhile, but DO NOT soak for hours as the brass will tarnish. You may still get some tarnish, which is still OK to a point. After rinsing WELL, leave a bit of fresh water covering the brass and then dose it with a bit of regular vinegar. Swish it around and the brass will immediately brighten up. Don't soak it in the vinegar, just swirl for a minute and then rinse well and dry.

I sometimes go through this washing routine even when I tumble. Keeps most of the crud out of your media.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts