Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a RIA 1911 and the slide stop and recoil spring plug were showing signs of wear.
I cleaned them up real good.
Cleaned with alcohol and dried.
Dipped in Liguid Blue for a minute.
Rinsed in cold water really good.
Dried completely overnight.
Reassembled the weapon and took it out last night and the plug had rusted MAJOR time.
The slide stop was fine but you could tell the Blue had built up a residue on it that didn't wash off. It didn't rust though.

I brushed the plug with a bronze brush, cleaned it again very good and just soaked it in CLP.

I'm gonna check on it when I get home, but has anyone else had this type of issue with Blue ?

I tried it on my Kimber slide stop and slide safety and it didn't faze it at all. Tried Aluminum black as well, nothing.

I'd appreciate any hints or suggestions....... :confused:

Just glad I didn't do the slide....

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Once you blue you need to rinse in water then polish with steel wool.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once you blue you need to rinse in water then polish with steel wool.

I did not polish with steel wool...

Got home today and checked, the CLP is dried and the metal is still showing rust...
Gonna polish it good and see how it turns out, reblue and rinse and polish again with the wooly thing....

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Yep just a light polish. Repeat until you get the desired color.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here's what it looks like:

This is the good side

This is the bad side

And another of the bad side.....

This sucks..... :sad:

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm starting to think too much too long....blue actually causes a corrosion effect doesn't it?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Have you read the insdtructions?

I should be applied with a swab and rubbed in for about a 1 min then rinsed in water.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you read the insdtructions?

I should be applied with a swab and rubbed in for about a 1 min then rinsed in water.

Read the instructions. Been using Liquid Blue since about 1965....Read them before I started this little task. I read them everytime.. I'm a nerd.... :rolleyes:

Quote from my first post:
I cleaned them up real good.
Cleaned with alcohol and dried.
Dipped in Liguid Blue for a minute.
Rinsed in cold water really good.
Dried completely overnight.

I did not polish with steel wool... but I can't believe that's the cause of this, I've never seen a part rust like that with LB.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
stop putting CLP on a weapon that is supposed to work, militec, gunzilla mobil 1 all work stop using clp then report back in a day or two.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting.
I used to use Cleanbore 3 in 1 for decades, then they stopped.
CLP seemed a good alternative.
I've heard good and bad.
I have a small amount of miltec I use sparingly.

I've seen Hoppes for years, never used it but all I can find is cleaning solvent, no lube.
Doing research.... back later...

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I use CLP on all of my "work" weapons (Mossberg M590DA1 rides in the trunk of the patrol car, Colt AR in the rack, GLOCK 22 in my holster) and I have never expereinced any issues with CLP. What gives?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got some new blue and tried again and not having any issues with the new stuff. Wondering if I didn't contaminate the last of the other bottle somehow.

As to the CLP issue.. OMG. That's a can o worms...

I found some Hoppes Lube so I finally decided to try on both my RIA 1911 and my Kimber 1911.

It's much more time consuming. Clean with the Hoppes solvent, dry then lube with the Hoppes lube. I do like clean....
Works good so far, took them to the range.

At the range and about 200 rounds in each, the RIA 1911 had multiple failure to feed issus as well as the Kimber.
Ran a snake thru each and the problem went away. Ran another hundred and issues came back. They'd either get stuck halfway up the ramp or halfway in the breech.

I did a fair test, and I actually did try it. But as far as I'm concerned - FAIL. No more Hoppes for my guns.

I've never had that issue with CLP. I've run 500 rounds through each before without having to use a snake.
I'm sticking to CLP and leaving the hoppes for really tough clean up jobs or fishing reels.

Just my opinion.

Now the Miltec, if I can find more I'll test it the same way. For now, what little I have I use for the rails and springs when I'm feeling the need.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an fyi on the liquid blue issue.
I didn't trust the bottle, it was almost gone anyway so I got rid of it.
I really think I contaminated it somehow.
Picked up a new bottle and it's working wonderfully.
Got the color back and it's looking good.
I can still see some pitting but it's starting to get smoother and darker.
I figure a few more times....

I've been redoing it about 3 times a night.

Yes, I'm using very fine steel wool as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts