Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Most shops I visit don't stock Lionheart Industries firearms and I've looked for a LH9 almost two years. It generally has favorable reviews and available online, but I wanted to put my hands on the gun before purchase.

This is a refined Daewoo DP-51 which was an imported version of the South Korea's military sidearm the K-5. A unique feature is the "Double Action Plus" letting the cocked hammer be manually pushed to decocked position. This eliminates the heavy first shot Double Action pull with a very light pull that recocks the hammer that now operates in Single Action providing a third option beside the standard SA/DA.

The gun is well built with a forged chromoly steel slide and barrel along with a forged aluminum alloy frame. It retains a classic Browning design barrel locking lugs that engage corresponding slots in the slide like the short recoil system of the Hi Power. The slide moves like it been hand fitted. The finish is Cerakote and Novak sights are dovetailed into the serrated band along the slide. It's a heavy little gun that should be a great shooter.

The gun is shipped with 13 and 15 round mags along with cleaning supplies and normal paper work all within a very sturdy nylon case. The knife didn't come with it, I made a diversion to a nearby knife store on the way home.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I love my LH9. Had it a little over a year and it's a great shooter. I have zero issues with the safety lever. I'm sure bunk22 will be along shortly as he has one as well.

If I had a complaint it would be the cerakote, it wears way too easy, especially on the frame. In fact they replaced my first as it showed wear out of the box and I would say the replacement isn't performing much better, with that said I shoot my guns and wear is expected.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Living near Redmond (where they are imported), I've felt a few. I really like them, just not the market I'm in now. nutnfancy has a pretty good review where he compaires the Daewoo vs the Lionheart.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
What do you think about the safety? Any trouble manipulating it at speed?
Manual safety levers is an non-issue for me. My house gun, HK USP, has a lever and some of my carry guns don't. The notion a manual safety lever can be the difference between life and death is over dramatized. The argument often stated: during an armed confrontation an individual is unlikely to deactivate the lever while in an adrenalin spiked stupor giving the assailant the advantage to achieve their dastardly deed. Therefore, a point and shoot pistol with passive safety's are our saviors; especially for us rubes without the "muscle memory" to flick a lever even while in a coma. I'm not saying it hasn't happened or couldn't happen but people react to stress differently and blanket statements aren't necessarily valid in all circumstances.

As it happen with me last year, about 3:30 a.m. a massive tree limb fell on the front porch of my house with a tremendous crash. I immediately awaken thinking someone was entering my home after kicking down the front door. My first reaction was to locate my pistol flip the safety while on the way to meet the intruder. And yes I was scared and pumped full of heart pounding adrenalin but it wasn't difficult accomplishing that task without super powers or multi-tactical training courses. Thank goodness it wasn't an evil doer, but my poor porch was suffering. I did learn a lesson to keep my cell phone handy along with my glasses.

All I'm saying is, we need to realistically evaluate our needs and decide in our best interests. I don't want a bedside gun without a safety because I keep it close enough to have access without getting up, but that also gives a slight opportunity to accidentally hit the gun while tossing and turning in my sleep after a big Mexican dinner. The firearms I carry on a particular day vary according to the activity, however I'm beginning to prefer guns without a manual safety a majority of the time.

If you have read this far, I'll answer your question about the LH9. The safety manipulates with a solid feel and audible click. The levers downward fire position is easily done with a thumb sweep. Unlike a 1911, the Lionheart's lever pivots on the forward axis making engaging the safety somewhat stout causing a hand reposition to overcome the stiffness. I hope to get to the range next week to see how it works while using the gun.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Hey man, saw your post on GT, again, congrats on a great looking and great gun. I love mine as well.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
I may have to put this one on my wish list.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went to the indoor range this morning with the LH9 and I was surprisingly impressed with the gun shooting about 100 rounds of WWB 115gr ball ammo and several mags of 147gr JHP. All ammo cycled without fail. This gun has a great feel while shooting which I attribute to the all metallic construction and wonderful balance. Recoil management is very good and with quick target reacquisition. Some guns are out of the box accurate. The LH9 was not one of those and did take some time to learn. The precision of my shot placement became much better with experience. I love this size pistol and the Lionheart has move into my favorite category.

·
Registered
9,904 Posts
Thats a nice lookin' piece. Reminds me a little of the ill-fated Colt Double Eagle.

Funny, a few days ago I saw a Daewoo forklift and was wondering what ever happened to Daewoo handguns...? Those guys are freaking ubiquitous...they're into everything.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I wouldn't mind one at some point. But man, you can get used trade In 3rd gen Smith's just as cheap...
As a previous 5906 owner and current 1086 owner, give me the Lionheart any day.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
I've actually thought of getting one of those, the accuracy didn't impress? I get bored real fast with guns that aren't accurate when I own so many that are. After hearing glowing reviews from you, yellow, and bunk, I've been snooping around for one of these. So honestly will the accuracy be a disappointment?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
The Smith 3rd gen is good stuff if they fit you, I don't like the grip on the 1086 at all (thin and deep), 5906 was pretty nice. And this may be a used vs new thing but the trigger on the Lionheart is much better than the Smith.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I've actually thought of getting one of those, the accuracy didn't impress? I get bored real fast with guns that aren't accurate when I own so many that are. After hearing glowing reviews from you, yellow, and bunk, I've been snooping around for one of these. So honestly will the accuracy be a disappointment?
If drilling one small hole at 10 yards (in my lousy hands) is disappointing then yes, you won't be happy.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
If drilling one small hole at 10 yards (in my lousy hands) is disappointing then yes, you won't be happy.
Lol. Sounds like you're terrible. So if I'm shopping what's a good price. The bronze model with Novaks.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Lol. Sounds like you're terrible. So if I'm shopping what's a good price. The bronze model with Novaks.
From the last few years, the best time to buy is there black Friday sale. The LH9n was $550ish.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I'll give you that, I didn't think the accuracy was the LH9's strong point. The quality of the gun, top notch but the accuracy, well, I've seen better. Even with my less than accurate shooting.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I'll give you that, I didn't think the accuracy was the LH9's strong point. The quality of the gun, top notch but the accuracy, well, I've seen better. Even with my less than accurate shooting.
In a vice I'll put money on this gun being as accurate as any own. Now how it performs in the shooters hands, well that's the shooter.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts