Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range today and shot my XDm 40. I had 4 FTF's but I think it might of been my fault. The FTF's were the very last bullet. I shot WWB and Blaser Brass. 3 were from me shooting and 1 was when I let a friend shoot and all were the very last bullet. So limp wrist or gun. It didnt happen back to back it was in a 300 round period. Anyone go through this? O and for all that shoot Blazer make sure you look at you ammo I found a round that had the bullet in backwards, I'll be sending it in to Blazer. If I wasnt looking at my ammo before I put it in I dont know what would of happened.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have gone thru this and it was the pistol. Here is what I found needed tweaking on my XDm.

First, field strip your XDm and run your finger along the underside of the fixed ejector post attached to the frame. If you feel a sharp burr at the tip, take a diamond hand file, or knife sharpener, and get rid of that burr. Take the time to put a very small radius in this area so that burr won't re-form in the future. Just make sure you don't change the angle on the face of the ejector. That angle is there to help throw the spent case up and out of the pistol so tread very lightly when radiusing the fixed Ejector.

The second area to look at is the magazine itself. You didn't happen to pull out a magazine that you haven't used before did you? If so, it may be the agazine needs breaking in. Fortunately, it's real easy to "break in" a new magazine, all you need is a felt wheel, some polishing compound, and a bit of time. Take you magazine apart and feel the inside edges of the feed lips where the cartridge rides. If you feel any burrs, knock them down with that diamond file. Then take the dremmel and polish the inside edge of the magazine tube until you have a nice shiny surface. Just make sure to go lightly and remember less is better. You really don't want to change the line of the feed lips, just make them nice and smooth. The good news is that if you screw up a magazine by hacking into it, it only costs about 30 bucks to replace.

BTW, following is a link to a diamond hand file and the source, PTS-TOOLS.com.

Production Tool Supply

Now a diamond polishing paste, just a tiny dab on a felt wheel goes a long way and it's fast cutting so tread very lightly.

Production Tool Supply

Now a felt polishing bob.

Production Tool Supply

Anyhow, hope this helps. If it doesn't, contact Springfield Armory and see about sending it in. There are additional areas where a bit of work can improve the reliability but they are areas where someone unfamiliar with this pistol can really mess it up, and VOID the warranty. So, let S.A. fix any areas that may effect the warranty or the safety of the pistol, that's what the warranty is for. BTW, this includes the Feed Ramp on the barrel, AND ESPECIALLY THE FRAME. What looks like a feed ramp on the frame really isn't a feed ramp, it's mearly a clearance area. In addition, it's hard anodized aluminum and if you remove the anodizing it will weaken the slide stop and totally screw up the pistol. As for the feed ramp on the barrel, it comes factory polished so any further polishing may cause more issues and if you get into the chamber you risk reduced case support, which could lead to a burst cartridge.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Went to the range today and shot my XDm 40. I had 4 FTF's but I think it might of been my fault. The FTF's were the very last bullet. I shot WWB and Blaser Brass. 3 were from me shooting and 1 was when I let a friend shoot and all were the very last bullet. So limp wrist or gun. It didnt happen back to back it was in a 300 round period. Anyone go through this? O and for all that shoot Blazer make sure you look at you ammo I found a round that had the bullet in backwards, I'll be sending it in to Blazer. If I wasnt looking at my ammo before I put it in I dont know what would of happened.
try sending a coulpe hundred more rounds down the spout and be aware of your grip.if that wont fix it and you are not an expert with tools and gunsmithing.send it back.if SA finds any evidence of home smithing that WILL void the warranty! please be carefull with advice you get here.every one means well BUT. so if you fix it yourself and it doesnt work out dont expect springfeild to fix it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have gone thru this and it was the pistol. Here is what I found needed tweaking on my XDm.

First, field strip your XDm and run your finger along the underside of the fixed ejector post attached to the frame. If you feel a sharp burr at the tip, take a diamond hand file, or knife sharpener, and get rid of that burr. Take the time to put a very small radius in this area so that burr won't re-form in the future. Just make sure you don't change the angle on the face of the ejector. That angle is there to help throw the spent case up and out of the pistol so tread very lightly when radiusing the fixed Ejector.

The second area to look at is the magazine itself. You didn't happen to pull out a magazine that you haven't used before did you? If so, it may be the agazine needs breaking in. Fortunately, it's real easy to "break in" a new magazine, all you need is a felt wheel, some polishing compound, and a bit of time. Take you magazine apart and feel the inside edges of the feed lips where the cartridge rides. If you feel any burrs, knock them down with that diamond file. Then take the dremmel and polish the inside edge of the magazine tube until you have a nice shiny surface. Just make sure to go lightly and remember less is better. You really don't want to change the line of the feed lips, just make them nice and smooth. The good news is that if you screw up a magazine by hacking into it, it only costs about 30 bucks to replace.

BTW, following is a link to a diamond hand file and the source, PTS-TOOLS.com.

Production Tool Supply

Now a diamond polishing paste, just a tiny dab on a felt wheel goes a long way and it's fast cutting so tread very lightly.

Production Tool Supply

Now a felt polishing bob.

Production Tool Supply

Anyhow, hope this helps. If it doesn't, contact Springfield Armory and see about sending it in. There are additional areas where a bit of work can improve the reliability but they are areas where someone unfamiliar with this pistol can really mess it up, and VOID the warranty. So, let S.A. fix any areas that may effect the warranty or the safety of the pistol, that's what the warranty is for. BTW, this includes the Feed Ramp on the barrel, AND ESPECIALLY THE FRAME. What looks like a feed ramp on the frame really isn't a feed ramp, it's mearly a clearance area. In addition, it's hard anodized aluminum and if you remove the anodizing it will weaken the slide stop and totally screw up the pistol. As for the feed ramp on the barrel, it comes factory polished so any further polishing may cause more issues and if you get into the chamber you risk reduced case support, which could lead to a burst cartridge.
any area you mess will void the warranty.if you want to do your own repairs thats fine. I do the same.but you really dont know who this advice goes out to.and after they screw it all up and want SA to fix it.guess who there going to blame.when SA sends it back to them VOID. not everyone is a home gunsmith or wants to chance losing there warranty.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. When I bought it new I went out and put 350 rounds through it with out any problems. Then I went yesterday and it had the failer to feed on the last bullet. I'm going to go out one more time and see if it happens again, if it does then I will send it in to SA. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the info. When I bought it new I went out and put 350 rounds through it with out any problems. Then I went yesterday and it had the failer to feed on the last bullet. I'm going to go out one more time and see if it happens again, if it does then I will send it in to SA. Thanks again for the info.
While I hate it when a new gun might have to go back to the factory for something like this at least you know Springfield will do you right. Thats a big deal for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts