Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caveat : This is my first year shooting USPSA , have shot approx. 3 match’s and with a total of 4 classifiers. I really chocked on the classifiers and shot Limited minor and made Calssification of D for dreaded ...

I am currently shooting a xd40 tactical with magwell, oversized mag release, power rivers trigger, arredondo mag extensions , tungsten guide rod, lightend slde, reduced power recoil spring and skate tape and also have and XD9 Tactical bone stock. I am able to take the 9mm upper and run it on the 40 lower with all the upgrades. I Looking on some suggestion on what Class I should shoot and pro's and con's I feel the 40 is at a disadvantage in limited due to mag capacity and if I switch to 9mm will only be able to shoot minor. 40- 15rd 9mm - 20rds

Limited :
40- major / 15rd
9mm minor / 20 rds

Or
Limited 10
40 Major

Thanks in advance for any insight on this subject ...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Caveat : This is my first year shooting USPSA , have shot approx. 3 match’s and with a total of 4 classifiers. I really chocked on the classifiers and shot Limited minor and made Calssification of D for dreaded ...

I am currently shooting a xd40 tactical with magwell, oversized mag release, power rivers trigger, arredondo mag extensions , tungsten guide rod, lightend slde, reduced power recoil spring and skate tape and also have and XD9 Tactical bone stock. I am able to take the 9mm upper and run it on the 40 lower with all the upgrades. I Looking on some suggestion on what Class I should shoot and pro's and con's I feel the 40 is at a disadvantage in limited due to mag capacity and if I switch to 9mm will only be able to shoot minor. 40- 15rd 9mm - 20rds

Limited :
40- major / 15rd
9mm minor / 20 rds

Or
Limited 10
40 Major

Thanks in advance for any insight on this subject ...
I've got the identical set up.

For half of the year I shoot single stack 1911, the other half, I shoot production with the 9mm or Ltd 10, major with the 40. The idea is to stick with a 10 shot platform. This will help you focus on accuracy (you can't just hose a stage), stage planing (where am I going to reload) and reloading. We also have a Tuesday night steel match where I can shoot 9mm Ltd. I'll shoot 2 runs, production and 9mm Ltd. I'll frequently shoot better time with Production because I'm focusing on hits. With Ltd, I have a tendency to try and shoot faster and then the misses and make-ups start to pop up and the times are worse. My times are finally getting better with Ltd, not shooting faster, just fewer reloads.

Enjoy the trip.

Joe

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I've got the identical set up.

For half of the year I shoot single stack 1911, the other half, I shoot production with the 9mm or Ltd 10, major with the 40. The idea is to stick with a 10 shot platform. This will help you focus on accuracy (you can't just hose a stage), stage planing (where am I going to reload) and reloading. We also have a Tuesday night steel match where I can shoot 9mm Ltd. I'll shoot 2 runs, production and 9mm Ltd. I'll frequently shoot better time with Production because I'm focusing on hits. With Ltd, I have a tendency to try and shoot faster and then the misses and make-ups start to pop up and the times are worse. My times are finally getting better with Ltd, not shooting faster, just fewer reloads.

Enjoy the trip.

Joe
Good idea. I would have said just shoot limited, but, maybe you have point. I never thought of that way. I quit limited 10 and moved to limited, but, I still suck:-x

·
Registered
79 Posts
Good idea. I would have said just shoot limited, but, maybe you have point. I never thought of that way. I quit limited 10 and moved to limited, but, I still suck:-x
I went to a Rob Leatham class. The question was whether a beginner should work on speed or accuracy. He answered, "you have to identify your tendency. For me, I was deliberate and accurate, I developed my drills to work on speed. For Chad (his assistant at the time). Chad loves speed and needs to work on accuracy."

I wanted to shoot to fast. The best advice I got on classifiers was, take your time, get your hits, you'll make C without a problem. Now I'm a C and shoot to slow to do well in the standings......got to work on speed. Try Brian Enos' forum and do a search for Transition drills.

Enjoy the ride

Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts