Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fortunate to find a dealer with Stoeger Cougar Compacts for $300 plus $10 shipping (may still be on Gunbroker). Had to wait the customary week because my FFL was on vacation. Cleaned and lubed the gun upon arrival.

Compared to my PX4, there are the usual design differences (aluminum frame, no rail, different takedown lever), but otherwise the quality and machining matched my Beretta.

I got to shoot it this weekend and put about 200 mixed rounds of factory and reloads through it. No surprises, and no failures of any kind. Typical hard but smooth DA trigger, typical crisp SA trigger. It shot about as well as my police 92S, and felt recoil was surprisingly less than the 92S. I had shot a PX3 compact 9mm about a year ago and raved about the low recoil, and the Cougar is no different.

I plan to get a magazine extension, as the current mag rests right on my pinky. It didn't cause any problems with my grip, but just didn't feel right.

Accuracy was average; I didn't have any target Ammo, but I could easily put ten rounds of Winchester White Box into two inches at 7 yards, and my new-to-me load of 147 coated/Green Dot load did a little better.

I like the little brick a lot.

Reactions: Jonnyuma

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
Stoeger is a piece of Beretta, the Cougar is the exact same piece as it was when Beretta was making it (like a Chevy vs a Cadillac). I was just looking at them thinking about buying, but couldn't find one at a decent price...congratulations on your score.
Does it take the P92 mags? I've read that they are not compatible and that kind of ended my search. I'd still like to own one (the 92 compacts are expensive) but mag compatibility was a priority at the time...

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Hell, we've all viewed them as good cheap pistols under the radar of the average buyer.

I wonder why I don't have one now...

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, they do not take 92 mags. However, the Beretta 8000 and the Stoeger Cougar take the same mags.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I've had my eye on one of these. Congrats!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Beretta Cougar 8045 before they sold(transferred) the tooling to Stoeger, one of my first guns...love the gun but wish it had a higher capacity magazine.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
My Stoeger Cougar 9mm put 5 rounds into a 0.8" group (edge to edge) from 7 yards standing and unsupported, using WWB 115gr range fodder.

Left handed (2 handed hold).

And the first round was fired double action.

No joke.

Accuracy is juuuuust fine with these pistols.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Switch out your mainspring to one from a "D" model and you'll notice a difference in your double action pull. ;-)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts