Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a Liion Defense OWB holster for my Glock 19, and the turnaround time was around 5-6 weeks. I'm not a very patient person, but so far I feel it was well worth the wait. I bought it primarily to wear for USPSA matches, but I think it will get a lot more use than just that ;) The total cost with shipping was just over $80.

The quality and attention to detail is better than any kydex holster I have owned. Very well formed to the gun, and the retention is nice and tight, but drawing is easily achieved with a quick pull. It rides tight to my body with a 1.5" leather gun belt. The ride height and cant are both adjustable by moving the belt loops up or down.

Here are some photos showing it with and without the Glock 19. The color combination is OD Green/Coyote.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Looks nice! Thanks for the review.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After nearly a week of daily carry, I am really liking this holster. Wears nice and tight, and the retention is great. The guys & gals at the range were digging it.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just wanted to post a quick update. I noticed that the right side of my G19 was scratched up. I haven't carried this 19 or the Liion Defense holster since getting it, so the damage occurred with very little use. I have other kydex holsters, and none of them have done this. They cause wear on the contact points, as does leather, which is not a big deal.

I love the looks of this holster and is is well constructed. Not sure if the scratches were caused by bad forming or something else, but it is aggravating. I guess it is a 'heads up' if you are looking at an LD holster. I took some advice I read on another thread and placed a strip of black electrical tape inside the holster where the issue occurred, which seems to have solved the problem.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just received an email from them. I am sending it to them this afternoon, and hopefully they will be able to take care of this for me. Like I said, I really like this holster and I want it to be fixed so I can wear it.

I noticed the black tape I put inside had ripped after just a few draws/inserts. It seems the extractor is the culprit...I think the area around it wasn't formed correctly. Hopefully they will be able to take care of it. By the way, their customer service is excellent, great communications!

·
Registered
100 Posts
That is great that they are taking care of it for you. I do think that they should send you a new one first and then have you send the defective one in. Hopefully it will all get worked out soon. Sucks that it scratched up your gun though.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
That's why I like to put about 3 layers of tape around the slide when I do make it. All the retention should be around the trigger guard and it leaves a little bit of space to keep from rubbing the slide like that.

·
Registered
706 Posts
glad you're liking it. I had debated on them when I was looking for an owb. Looks like I wouldn't have gone wrong if I had chosen them.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As long as they correct the issue I'll be a happy camper. It looks great. I just think an $88 holster shouldn't scratch the slide.

·
Registered
706 Posts
As long as they correct the issue I'll be a happy camper. It looks great. I just think an $88 holster shouldn't scratch the slide.
I absolutely agree.
Sounds like you handled it much better than I would've. If it's not normal holster wear I tend to be finicky about finish.

·
Registered
261 Posts
There are different grades of Kydex, the premium, Kydex 100 and Kydex T are very easy on a guns finish. Some of the lower grades of Kydex have things like fiberglass, and resins which can damage a finish much easier, the very lowest grades are basically scraps or kydex shavings re-molded together.

If they are charging $80 and using Kydex loops rather than injection molded polymer loops that should be the highest grade Kydex.

You may want to verify what grade Kydex your holster is made from. That is a very deep blemish in the coating for just having been through a few uses from that holster.

I see nothing wrong with the mold/forming that would cause the scratch you showed. Another possibility is debris that got trapped between the holster and gun. More than anything else with Kydex you need to keep it clean.

·
Registered
231 Posts
There are different grades of Kydex, the premium, Kydex 100 and Kydex T are very easy on a guns finish. Some of the lower grades of Kydex have things like fiberglass, and resins which can damage a finish much easier, the very lowest grades are basically scraps or kydex shavings re-molded together.

If they are charging $80 and using Kydex loops rather than injection molded polymer loops that should be the highest grade Kydex.

You may want to verify what grade Kydex your holster is made from. That is a very deep blemish in the coating for just having been through a few uses from that holster.

I see nothing wrong with the mold/forming that would cause the scratch you showed. Another possibility is debris that got trapped between the holster and gun. More than anything else with Kydex you need to keep it clean.
What place uses the highest grade kydex?

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I absolutely agree.
Sounds like you handled it much better than I would've. If it's not normal holster wear I tend to be finicky about finish.
I am too, but it is one of my most frequently carried guns. It just aggravates me that a holster from a company with their reputation would have this issue. I trust they will make it right (I'll keep this thread updated).

I agree, an $80+ holster should be damn near perfect. I have sub $50 holsters that show no wear on my weapons. I trust a company like this would use the high grade kydex...at least I hope.

This is truly from a few uses. There was no debris in the holster or on the gun. I checked that first. I frequently wash my kydex holsters and blow out/wipe my leather holsters. I have tried 'buffing' it using an oily cloth, but no luck. It's not that big of a deal, I just don't want it to cause any further damage. I checked yesterday, and the bullets still come out when I pull the trigger :lol:

Matthew, I think the issue was the way the kydex was formed around the extractor. It damaged the inside of the holster just a few inches down, and now that damaged area scratches the slide as the gun is inserted. Nice to have you on the forum, btw. You make sweet holsters...I'm eyeballing one! My wife has her shoe addiction, mine is guns and holsters lol.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
typically you will have to ask or just read onthe site what type of Kydex your holster maker is using.

sorry to hear the electrical tape trick didn't do it for you. I should of emphasized how much time and care I took to la the tape down withZERO wrinkles and made sure no edges were rough. Mine is doing excellent w/ a minimum of probably 1-200 draws a weeks, sometimes more. Flas to hear they are fixing it.

I've seen some kydex holsters with liners, suede or some man made lining material if scratches really urck you. btw , those are serious scratches, mine had to be seen using a flashlight before I noticed them.

·
Registered
261 Posts
DJ, thank you for the compliment, Sir.

I see what you are saying now, the Kydex was roughed up by the extractor and the rough internals scratched the gun. I completely agree with your assessment. I hope it gets fixed, they seem like a reputable company, unfortunately these things can happen to any of us.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
@DJCantonGA after careful inspection, you were correct, something had rubbed it., the chamber iINDICATOR had in fact boogered the inside a bit. GOOD CALL!!! or it could be were my front side rides as I re holster, hmmm not sure now

time for some emery cloth to the rescue

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You know i as set on od green and black. But i like your two tone. What color is that whitish?
Coyote, which is tan.

@DJCantonGA after careful inspection, you were correct, something had rubbed it., the chamber iINDICATOR had in fact boogered the inside a bit. GOOD CALL!!! or it could be were my front side rides as I re holster, hmmm not sure now

time for some emery cloth to the rescue
Let me know how it goes with the emery cloth if you don't mind.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got the holster back yesterday from Liion Defense, less than a week door to door! Looks like they adjusted the area around the extractor to allow it room so it doesn't contact the kydex. So far so good. Great customer service. I look forward to getting this one back on my belt.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts