Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who out there has tactical lights and/or lasers on their pistols? Do you guys that do also keep them mounted while carrying?

I was considering getting a tactical light for my XD40 when I had it, and am now considering getting one for my M&P40c. Unfortunately I carry IWB, and I don't see how adding a light to the gun can enhance the concealability or comfort at all. Just looking for some input from those with some experience.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I have a Surefire CREE light on my nightstand gun & shotgun. It is very difficult to find a holster for that to conceal carry. My duty pistol has the same light, but obviously there is no wsy to conceal that!
Luckily, Crimson Trace has recently merged with several Kydex AND leater holster makers to offer both belt and IWB holsters for their laser line.
I do carry an LCP as a backup to my fullsize and it has their laser on it in a Nemesis holster designed for that laser.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I carry a tlr3 on my Stoeger Cougar. If it is iwb, it won't effect concealment, kinda like longer barrels on pistols.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
I have a lasermax unimax on my G37. It does bedside duty and it is so small I dont even notice it when I carry IWB

·
Registered
194 Posts
I teach my students that flashlights and lasers do not belong attached to defensive handguns...too many negatives.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
I teach my students that flashlights and lasers do not belong attached to defensive handguns...too many negatives.

I used to think the same thing. Untill I used one for a full year. I have seen real world results from the use of a red visible laser in real firefights.

It is easier than you think to shine it in ones eyes. them things blind better than lights alone. they also add a psychological effect. After my experience at work with them, I added one to my primary house and carry pistol.

They do not replace sights, but they make odd position and odd angle shots easier (opinion based on experience). As with anything else they WILL require additional training and ractice. Dont expect it to just bring you to a new level because you bolted one on.

As for lights. PID or no shoot. I am not fond of pointing my weapon at a target before I get PID so I use a handheld light. But with proper ractice the extra danger of pointing a weapon at an unidentified target can be lessened.

All I have to ask of you is what you would say and do if I came to one of your classes? I can tell ya right now the unimax would stay right where it is. 1000+ rounds and it still has its zero and has taken a good amount of abuse. It is a quality piece that is also waterproof.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Guess I should stop carrying mine on duty then? Its negative by lighting up my suspect so I can see his hands and the surrounding area.

Yeah, why would I want that when I draw my handgun? Us cops are so stupid, wanting to see our target and all :rolleyes:

If you REFUSE to teach them, that doesn't mean they just won't buy or use one. But it PROBABLY means they will use it wrong & possibly die. Teaching them properly might save one of their family's lives. Not by defense, but because their teenage daughter snuck home late, dad was able to see it was her, and thus not shoot her by mistake!!!
Isn't one cardinal firearm rule "always know and recognize your target?" well that is exactly what a flashlight actually does.
Teach them the RIGHT way, THEN let them decide if a light is for them to pursue, sheesh!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I keep a tac light on my house gun beside me on the night stand in a biometric safe. I carry a hand held light with my carry gun. Just to much to stuff inside the waistband.

·
Registered
29,619 Posts
Handheld, nightsights, and taclight (handheld and tac have different uses, which is why I advise anyone trying to use a weaponlight to get training on it).

And after having a gun with CT's on it...I'm not a fan. I think the extra money spent on a laser would be better spent on ammo, training, and practice time.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I run a X300 on my duty pistol and it stays on off duty while being carried in a Peters Custom Holster Spada or a Raven Concealment Phantom LC.

I have yet to see a single downside that could not be minimized by proper training and TTPs.

That said the weapons mounted light does not replace a handheld. For searching and admin purposes the handheld comes out.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I have the TLR-2 on my night stand gun (XD45). The downsides are the laser can only be zeroed to one range because it is so far off the bore axis but in a house I know what the rough range is always going to be, chasing a guy outside and shooting him as he runs down the street is unadvisable. The second is giving away your position with a laser and light but in a house 15 feet away from an intruder I am guessing your cover is already blown!

I also own a TLR-1 I move around, I am currently running it on my Mossberg 930SPX hooked to a pressure switch without any issues.

Oh and if I want to carry with the light attached I usually go with my leather messanger bag/European Men's Carry-alot that I can reach into the side zippered pocket and draw.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
I have a tlr-1s mounted on a G21 for a nightstand weapon. Don't use any kind of light for my daily carry. Not likely that I'd ever need a light for daily carry, anywho.

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
I have a Laser Max on the HD XDm. I bring it to the range once a month to make sure it holds it's zero.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Always have a CREE flashlight in my pocket. Have one that is 180 lumens and runs on a single AA batt for 2 hours. Small, bright, and bright for my needs. Can always deploy FBI style for safety & still see my target without giving away position.
Just another readon to practice & train for the worst.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts