Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Has anyone tried a lighter spring around 11 to 12 Lbs in a 4" XD 9mm? I am loading a light 9mm load for IDPA ESP in a 1911 and I am using an 11 pound spring and it works great. I shoot with a buddy who shoots a M&P in 9mm and is also using an 11 pound spring. I have checked with Wolff and they have plans to make lighter springs, but say it will be awhile. I have not found anyone who makes a spring lighter than 18 pounds. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
When the total number of XDs in use in the U.S. exceeds 1000, there'll be a lot more aftermarket items available. ;)

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I was shooting a 16lb in my .40 service for steel. After about 1K rounds I started having trouble with it going out of battery so I went back to the 18lb.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I was shooting a 16lb in my .40 service for steel. After about 1K rounds I started having trouble with it going out of battery so I went back to the 18lb.
I had the same problem running a 14lb. spring in my Tactical, that would make me think a 12lb. spring would really be a problem keeping it in battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found the XD Guys on line and I bought a Don's guide rod. On their site they say to use a Commander convential power spring if you were going lighter than 18#. I went with the 12 pound spring. I will post an update once I get to the range with the set up.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
i have a DGR, and 14#, 16#, and 18# springs for it.

the 16 works well with some light loads.... i haven't messed with the 14# much yet.

·
Registered
368 Posts
So judging from these posts is it safe to consider the stock spring on an xd40sc 18lbs?

·
Registered
192 Posts
hello, i have a hs40 tactical and i haven't yet changed the coil spring since i bought the gun last year, stick to the original spring weight, too soft and it won't cycle correctly causing a jam.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Can someone please explain to me what the pros and cons are when you change your guide rod spring. Am I to understand that a lighter spring gives you less recoil or total opposite?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
It doesn't give you more or less recoil, it changes the way you feel the recoil. A lighter spring will give you snappier recoil which snaps back the slide then pushes is foward with less force than a heavy spring. This allows you to get back on target without the muzzle pushing forward and past the target. It also allows the slide to function (open then close) faster. All of which will allow you to get back on target faster for a follow up shot. A heavier spring will give you more of a push which will then snap the slide forward faster causing the muzzle go go down past the target it also operates the slide slower.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
It doesn't give you more or less recoil, it changes the way you feel the recoil. A lighter spring will give you snappier recoil which snaps back the slide then pushes is foward with less force than a heavy spring. This allows you to get back on target without the muzzle pushing forward and past the target. It also allows the slide to function (open then close) faster. All of which will allow you to get back on target faster for a follow up shot. A heavier spring will give you more of a push which will then snap the slide forward faster causing the muzzle go go down past the target it also operates the slide slower.
Dead on.... The real advantage of changing spring weights is for those who reload or competition shooters. You can match the spring weight to the type of loads you are using. However a solid guide rod is more reliable than a two piece and you can't ignore the bling factor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts