Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a PRP full trigger kit into my XDS 9mm 3.3” (first gen). Going into it, I had read that some people had to revert to the OEM striker spring due to light strikes, but I wanted to try it out anyway. The trigger pull with the full PRP kit was indeed noticeably improved. The takeup and length of pull was the same of course, but it was smoother, lighter, and had a crisper break. I fired several kinds of 9mm (115gr, 125gr, 147gr, 150gr, Federal, Speer, reloads (with CCI primers), FMJ, HST, GDHP) and all ran without issue, except one. I did experience some light strikes, but only with Winchester 124gr NATO. Bummer!

On the one hand, it’s my CCW piece, and to feel confident, I want it to be 100% reliable, no matter what I feed it. On the other hand, I understand that little guns tend to be more finicky than full-sized guns; even SA recommends trying different brands of ammo if one doesn’t work.

It was a little disappointing, but I reinstalled the OEM striker spring while keeping the remainder of the upgrade kit installed. Unfortunately…I started having light strikes with the OEM striker spring! WTH?!

So, I have a few questions for you knowledgeable folks:

1. Would any other part of the trigger kit (aside from the striker spring) affect the striker and/or striker spring performance?

a. I made sure the striker, striker guide, spring, and striker channel were clean and dry.

2. Do I need to ditch the whole upgrade kit and go back to full-OEM? I really hope not…

3. Do you think I’m overthinking the demands on reliability? In other words, does it really matter if it faults with a single brand/weight of ammo if all the rest are good to go?

One a side note, after my testing at the range, I handled a new Sig P365 and 365XL. The regular 365 just felt OK, but the XL was…XLent! It’s not that much bigger than my XDS and the trigger was obviously much better. They didn’t have a Hellcat to handle. Nothing like a malfunctioning gun to make you check out something new and shiny :p

·
Registered
137 Posts
Had a similar issue but by reinstalling the OEM spring the light strikes went away.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
How many shots have you fired with the original spring installed? If over 2000 to 2500, the spring may have lost some of it's strength. It may be time to order a new spring.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many shots have you fired with the original spring installed? If over 2000 to 2500, the spring may have lost some of it's strength. It may be time to order a new spring.
I have just a little over 2000 rds through it since November 2017. I never quite know when to change out handgun springs, but maybe this is the indicator. I just ordered a Springer Precision extra power striker spring. I realize a stronger-than-OEM spring might not be necessary and may negatively affect the trigger feel, but it's a relatively cheap ($10) item, so if I don't like it, I can always order an OEM spring.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I put in the whole kit, in my XDs .45. I didn’t notice much improvement, but I did get occasional light strikes. Replacing the original striker spring fixed it. A thorough cleaning of the striker channel may help.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Might as well order up a recoil spring assenbly too since your round count is getting closer to 3k. That can help light strikes if they are related to an out of battery condition.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
a. I made sure the striker, striker guide, spring, and striker channel were clean and dry.
Make sure the striker safety components and recess are clean as well.

It really shouldn't gunk up this fast (and the FTFire presentation would have been different), but it's worth a check. :)

3. Do you think I’m overthinking the demands on reliability? In other words, does it really matter if it faults with a single brand/weight of ammo if all the rest are good to go?
YES, you are overthinking it.

And no, it doesn't matter that there's a singular fault.

Ammo selection is an administrative concern (well, maybe not in terms of the zombie apocalypse....).

If the gun even works 100% on just ONE ammo, I'd still rock it for defensive use - albeit ONLY WITH THAT ONE AMMO! :)

Also, have you checked other lots of that problematic ammo? or at least a different box?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, have you checked other lots of that problematic ammo? or at least a different box?
I couldn't find any numbers on the boxes that looked like a date/lot stamp; I bought it as a 1000-rd case. I did have a couple boxes from the case that were unusually dirty, even for Winchester, while the rest have been reasonably clean, so it's possible there were multiple lots in the case.

It did fire several types of defensive ammo without problem, so that's pretty good. This Winchester NATO stuff must have harder primers that most brands; I'll just stick to other types for practice/defense.

I also ordered a new, OEM recoil spring assembly as per @mtnlvr since it too is relatively inexpensive and probably due. For all the XDS's imperfections, I still like the pistol and would like to keep it in good working order.

·
Registered
782 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to mention that a detailed strip and clean of the slide may help too if it's the out of battery light strike. The extractor can get a lot of residue under it making it Rob more of the slide's energy that would norma's lly be there to slam into battery.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
^ Speaking of....

What was the final consensus on the FTRTB for the XDSs? I thought it was extractor-related?

-----

I couldn't find any numbers on the boxes that looked like a date/lot stamp; I bought it as a 1000-rd case. I did have a couple boxes from the case that were unusually dirty, even for Winchester, while the rest have been reasonably clean, so it's possible there were multiple lots in the case.

It did fire several types of defensive ammo without problem, so that's pretty good. This Winchester NATO stuff must have harder primers that most brands; I'll just stick to other types for practice/defense.
And save this case for those training classes or practice sessions when you'd like to see some spontaneous stoppages.

If you practice a lot and are able to segregate practice mags, I'd be tempted to load them up with this ammo - mix them up with other ammo which function well - and to "forget" about them until the next trip out, so that you can really get in some spontaneous stoppage drills.

One training/practice problem is that with good guns, it's often hard/impossible to practice TRULY spontaneous stoppages. No matter what, when the context is that of an induced stoppage, even when that event comes in a more or less random manner (i.e. having a range-partner load spent cases or dummies into the mag or playing the pillowcase game [see below] ourselves), it still registers in our heads that we should be expecting something, and that's just robbing ourselves of full training value. :)

Video for attention:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^ Speaking of....

What was the final consensus on the FTRTB for the XDSs? I thought it was extractor-related?
Re: FTRTB

My only experience with this was both on my own personal XDs-45 and a friend's .45 version. In both cases, it was easier than normal (easier than any handgun I've ever fired) to induce a FTRTB via limp-wristing. I understand a correct handgun grip must be strong and stable, preferably with both hands, but it seemed exaggerated in the case of the .45 version. By focusing on a proper, strong grip, we could run either pistol without error, but even a slight relaxation of the grip resulted in FTRTB; we were able to repeat it consistently. When I first had the issue, I contacted SA and their CS rep said not to limp-wrist it. How dare they! I know what I'm doing! LOL. Turns out they were correct after all.

The 9mm version (or at least my personal pistol) doesn't seem to have this problem. I did make sure to watch and observe the slide during my recent testing. Also, when I installed the kit, I took the chance to do a detail strip, including scrubbing out the extractor (which didn't look too bad as it was).

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
^ Good for you that you squashed pride and went after the most likely possibility. :)

I really thought there was a mechanical issue, too.

·
Registered
517 Posts
If the gun even works 100% on just ONE ammo, I'd still rock it for defensive use - albeit ONLY WITH THAT ONE AMMO! :)
For me... all of my firearms must be reliable with the brands/types/grains of ammo I shoot in that particular caliber.... that is the bare minimum I will accept. If not... I get rid of it. I do on occasion shoot a box or two of brands I don't usually shoot just to add to my ammo options... just in case.

Like I said... that is just me... but then again I'm OCD and anal.... and way too old to change either one of those things. ;)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
For me... all of my firearms must be reliable with the brands/types/grains of ammo I shoot in that particular caliber.... that is the bare minimum I will accept. If not... I get rid of it.
I can forgive a firearm that has issues with a single brand/type, especially if it is a bulk or low-end brand/type. Anything more than that, and I'll be in contact with the manufacturer to get it resolved.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
For me... all of my firearms must be reliable with the brands/types/grains of ammo I shoot in that particular caliber....
Ah, but therein lies the catch -

If you had that one gun that you wanted to keep, and it was the "rate limiting factor," if you will....won't just standardizing to that ammo also be the fix? ;)

I know, I know, that's impractical - and also not what you mean. :)

In all seriousness, I definitely respect where you're coming from. In-reality, I also find it very, very hard to debate against, and furthermore can't say that I don't agree, particularly given the context of SHTF.

That said, in everyday life, I do think that LivingUpNorth should be gently reminded that ammo selection is an administrative issue, and that was where I was trying to go, with my reply above.

When I first started shooting, I read a lot of articles by various industry SMEs who suggested that a serious defensive shooter should work towards consolidating their caliber selections for their different weapon systems (i.e. primary/long-gun, secondary/hand-gun, backup/hand-gun). It was their contention that this simple daily organization would help to minimize possible confusion during emergencies.

One notable SME who ran counter to this line of thinking was Massad Ayoob. He noted in his reply that ammo selection - which really should only be undertaken in an administrative manner in order to minimize potential catastrophic problems (think .300 Blackout in place of .223/5.56). With this in-mind, there should thus be no reason why a defensive shooter - or anyone, for that matter - would need to be so limited.

I'll admit that I'm actually *_not_* one to fall in-line with Mas's advice. While I have tremendous respect for him and his work, I also find quite a bit of his stuff rather old-fashioned. So, initially, I brushed off this advice, but nevertheless, much like that scenario from Inception, I found that the thought nevertheless continued to gnaw at the back of my mind.

Fast forward a year or so, and the full-on ammo-retardedness of 2012 was in full swing, and suddenly, 9mm became nearly as hard to find as .22LR. I was a very diligent student then, averaging well over 25K live-fire for the year, and suddenly, I was left in a situation where not only was I scrambling for training ammo like the range-junkie that I was, I was also looking at a steadily diminishing (and small, remember that I'd only started shooting in Q4 of 2010, obtaining my Ohio-CHL in April of 2011) supply of defensive ammo, too.

Right then and there, I saw the wisdom of Mas's words. (No, I still don't take his word as gospel, but I've come to realize that the old hats like him, Vickers, Hackathorn, Spaulding - and the late Paul Gomez, Pat Rogers, Louis Awerbuck, et.al. - each know more history than I have lived through, so I should listen respectfully when they speak, and think hard about what they've had to say :oops:) A .357/.38 was quickly added to my small collection, then a .357 SIG/.40 S&W.

I completely get what you mean, Ben Samuel. Same with justashooter2a. And to be 100% honest, I really can't disagree with either of you. Not at all. :)

But at the same time, an administrative task is just that - and choosing what goes in the mag should be an administrative task.

·
Registered
520 Posts
“^ Speaking of....

What was the final consensus on the FTRTB for the XDSs? I thought it was extractor-related?”

In my case, FTRB was caused by the extractor pushing too hard against the cartridge, which in turn caused the feeding cartridge to push against the side of the recoil shield, slowing the slide enough to cause FTRB. Dressing the extractor hook a few thousandths fixed it. I suspect there was a run of XDs .45s that were turned out with 9mm extractors, but the problem went away when I shortened the extractor hook, and hasn’t happened since.

·
Registered
782 Posts
“^ Speaking of....

What was the final consensus on the FTRTB for the XDSs? I thought it was extractor-related?”

In my case, FTRB was caused by the extractor pushing too hard against the cartridge, which in turn caused the feeding cartridge to push against the side of the recoil shield, slowing the slide enough to cause FTRB. Dressing the extractor hook a few thousandths fixed it. I suspect there was a run of XDs .45s that were turned out with 9mm extractors, but the problem went away when I shortened the extractor hook, and hasn’t happened since.
Similar thing here. Tip of extractor being very sharp and digging into the case. Took it down and radiussed it so the hook would contact the case rim. It also seems like the extrctor is too long where the angle is still contacting the case keeping the base from seating flat on the breech face. But it's been working.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Do the cars that you and/or you family depend on every day... run on only one brand and octane of fuel? ;)
So, here's the thing.....

My old daily driver actually needed good 93-octane because it was tuned (quite aggressively) for it, and I could only get that from one specific station in the area. :) It wasn't the occasional throttling back of performance that would get me - it's the fear of a pre-det actually ka-booming the engine. I had a knock-light for her, and a can of octane-booster in the trunk, along with a dedicated laptop for both datalogging and reflashing to a low-octane map if-necessary (i.e. long road-trip: I actually had to do this once, in NJ for a friend's wedding).

While my vehicle now is capable of running on 87 - and I'm more than happy to just let it do so - my wife's vehicle is a "recommended" 93. Although I no longer trek out to get it from my preferred station, we still put premium in it.

Truthfully, quite a number of folks who like cars do go to the trouble. Hop on any automotive Forum, and you'll see.

It's administrative, so it's workable (to whatever degree any one or another of us may feel inconvenienced for the benefits/fun it might bring), but just as you noted above, there are mitigating considerations which can well come into play when emergencies or other extenuating circumstances arise.

Would I necessarily take that weapon as my doomsday companion? Probably not. Not unless it was the only one available. :p

But for everyday use - even as that defensive or duty weapon - as long as I know that the one specific ammo that I've got in it is good-to-go, I really won't lose any sleep over it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I kind of figured... but not to that extent... from posts I have seen... that your answer would be similar to the one you gave... but I just had to ask it anyway. :cool:;)

For me... maybe it has to do with an engineering/design background... that I have come to look at everything from a worse case scenario... i.e... everything should be as fail safe as possible. That just carried over to firearms... as I don't ever have to worry that the gun and ammo I grab in a worse case/SHTF scenario are incompatible. I can grab any 9mm pistol and ammo from my 9mm safe... and they will all work together... same goes for my .45 safe...and so on and so on.... :)

I had a car or two... many, many years ago that would only run on high octane fuel... and only one station sold it... but these were not my everyday beater cars... couldn't afford it then...:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts