Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot a two day training course with my 4.5" XDm 9mm. After 1000 rounds, I got many failures to ignite. I reload, so I suspected myself first. I tested the rounds and 5 of 5 fired when shot using another person's gun, after my gun gave them just a single weak primer strike. -

-I have e-mailed SPR about this, -
- "Misfires in striker fired pistols are usually the result of one of two things: a. Too much oil, grease, or debris in the striker channel. (do not oil or grease the striker channel when cleaning)" -

- They did not provide a means to clean the striker channel, as I requested DERR, but I found it here and gave it a very thorough cleaning. -

- I will not be able to test teh reliability improvements for a few days, so I would like your opinion on this problem here. -

- I did not find any similar issues by searching. I have sent this new gun to SPR custom shop and have had the trigger pull lightened, over-travel and reset reduced. Gun has <3000 rounds fired.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Well the first question would be if every was stock or was it modified? If it is stock that would lead me to believe there would be a blockage or something in the channel slowing down the striker. When you cleaned it did you find a bunch or oil or carbon grit?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From OP - " I have sent this new gun to SPR custom shop and have had the trigger pull lightened, over-travel and reset reduced"

I did not find a whole heck of a lot of gunk, but perhaps it is not tolerant of much. There was some.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
When I had mine apart I took a sanding pad to the outside of the striker and very lightly scuffed off any burrs and such. Either keep it dry or use a dry lube ( Liquid Wrench makes a ceramic spray lube ) sparingly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interdasting. This is my first striker gun, (I never took apart my Kel Tecs this far so I'm not counting them).

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
If a lighter weight striker spring was part of the trigger lightening and customozing, then might have to go back toward stock strength. Was a lower mass striker installed? Almost any lightening of the springs involved in the firing mechanism can result in decreased functional reliability (ammo/primers) and increased sensitivity to maintenance issues (dirt/oil).
Were the failures with commercial ammo or reloads? Mis-set high primers can reduce the first strike impact to below ignition threshold but seat the primer sufficiently that a second strike can achieve ignition.

More base information and post-cleaning followup report needed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From OP - (You guys really should read closer, I tried to be very thorough)
"I reload, so I suspected myself first."
No high primers, I am very good about checking this.

I will have to ask about a lighter striker spring, but I don't believe that is part of the Springfield custom shops mods. That would only hurt performance, and this is a "Custom Carry" package.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I think this is your problem. If cleaning the striker grove does not fix the problem, send it back and have a heavier spring installed.

"I have sent this new gun to SPR custom shop and have had the trigger pull lightened, over-travel and reset reduced. Gun has <3000 rounds fired."

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I think this is your problem. If cleaning the striker grove does not fix the problem, send it back and have a heavier spring installed.

"I have sent this new gun to SPR custom shop and have had the trigger pull lightened, over-travel and reset reduced. Gun has <3000 rounds fired."
ALL of those things will affect what's happening before the sear drops the striker, but NONE of them SHOULD affect the action of the striker itself. Hopefully the OP has already fixed it with the cleaning and it's just waiting for a chance to make him happy again.
Good luck Tweak!

Just thought of this, the tang on the striker that hangs down under the slide and contacts the sear, make sure there is nothing on the bottom of the slide ( crud, a burr etc ) that would hinder it slamming forward when tripped.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks dudes. I will test tomorrow I expect. The gun was filthy when these problems began, and my temporary solution was to utterly hose the rear of the slide down hoping to flood out the goop that caused this initially. I bet that made things worser.

·
Registered
4 Posts
dont know if this applies, all my buddies' glocks are jamming due to tac lights, we are buying the new generations tomorow. Possibly tac-light?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well after a thorough striker channel cleaning 2 out of 10 rounds fired of the first 5 magazines failed to get much more than a gentle primer strike. These rounds all detonated on their subsequent re-firings (it ain't the primer)

I shot 120 rounds total, and the last 50 went with only a single failure.

I got the worst possible result - inconclusive. I am too tired to recheck/reclean, and I am pretty certain I will be sending the gun back to momma for what will now be the third time. (first was to customize)

I am not pleased.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well after a thorough striker channel cleaning 2 out of 10 rounds fired of the first 5 magazines failed to get much more than a gentle primer strike. These rounds all detonated on their subsequent re-firings (it ain't the primer)

I got the worst possible result - inconclusive. I am too tired to recheck/reclean, and I am pretty certain I will be sending the gun back to momma for what will now be the third time. (first was to customize)

I am not pleased.
Possibly a dirty chamber or ammo is too long and cartridge is not properly seated in chamber.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I'd run a hundred or so rounds of white box ammo through it for comparison.
If you don't have light strikes, then it's something with your reloads.
If you still do, it's either too light a spring or something in your striker chamber.
I got a lot of brass flakes out of mine, took a bit to get it all.
Do a detailed strip cleaning, inspect with a magnifying glass and look for burrs in that chamber. Check your striker for any issues.
Not sure if that helps. :-?

·
Registered
667 Posts

I am not pleased.

Have done this several times, works great, remove the striker from the channel, be careful, don't shoot the spring across the room, I took a wire brush attachment from my rifle cleaning kit, attached it to a cleaning rod and mounted the rod in my power drill, (I know, what a redneck!!), anyway, after a minute or two of brushing, blew the channel out with my air compressor, next took a fiber/cloth attachment with the kit and repeated the process. With the clean attachment, I added a very little bit of Nu-Finish car polish and polished the inside of the channel. Used a dry cloth attachment to polish/dry the channel interior. Very slick and shiny!
Repeated the process using my Dremel and a felt pad on the striker. Either "stretch" the existing striker spring ( I know!!) or replace with a more powerful striker spring, you will be able to tell the difference when you try to put it all back together. Anyway, has worked great for me, hope this helps!!:razz:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Carsten, have you had the same issue (inconsistently weak primer strikes?) I have been shooting this ammo batch for a long time out of an M9 beretta, Sub2000, PF9 as well as other people's guns. I am very confident that this is not ammo/primer related.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tweak; I'm having the same problem. I too suspected my loads at first. I load both .40 and 9mm. The .40 is shot in a XD service. I compete with both guns and only have the light strikes with the XDm 9mm. I do use a lot of oil on all the moving parts and this can possibly be the problem, but the light strikes are random, maybe one in every 50 rounds, thats why the over lubricating doesn't sound like its the problem. I'm going to try dry lubes and see what happens. These light strikes can be costly when competing, each racking can take costly seconds. I'll keep watching your blog to see what else might come up. I sent an email to Springfield Armory with a photo of the light strikes in hopes that they may already have come up with a solution to the problem. I'll post the info I get back from SA.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Stretching a spring does very little except to weaken the spring. Simply pulling a compression spring longer is not a solution. It is only temporary. Within a few work cycles it will return to very near the original (just before stretched) spring weight, but may still be distorted that can increase likelyhood of binding. Any permanent bending of the spring wire at room temperatures has actually weakened the metal structure. To effect any lasting change the spring needs to be re-tempered to the new configuration to 'set' the metal structure. If a change is needed, get a plus power spring.
The fact that a primer ignites on a second strike is most usually due to movement of the primer during the first strike lessening the crush of the primer. After complete seating the primer from the first striker impact, then the next hit achieves sufficient crush to ignite it. Poorly seated primers may not be the problem in your case, but it is the most common cause of the described effects.
A second light strike problem can occur with a not completely seated round allows minor forward cartridge movement. This can happen when the recoil spring is not quite strong enough to completely seat the round. The slide is essentially closed (well enough to allow a striker release) but the mouth of the case is not set hard against the front of the chamber. Weak recoil spring, over diameter case body, excessively shortened case length, and over crimped case can all individually or combined contribute to cartridge movement due to seating problems. Weak recoil spring can also fail to hold the slide tight in battery allowing small rearward slide movement to counter the striker force and effectively reduce the forward travel of the striker pin causing a lighter crush of the primer.
Broken or worn tip of the striker. When the slide is removed, how far does the tip of the striker protrude from the face of the breech when manually pushed forward? What is the clearance between the striker pin diameter and the guide hole in the breech? Is the tip of the striker correctly shaped?
If measured striker protrusion is inadequate, what stops the striker forward travel? Does the striker forward travel stop against a striker to back of breech contact or stop against a striker channel to retainer pin travel or from complete compression of the striker rebound spring? (have not verified this on my pistol but just looking at where a relief could allow more striker travel - if this is even a problem, based on amount of striker protrusion measured).

1 - 20 of 74 Posts