Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about 800 or so rounds through my XDMc .40, I finally had a failure to fire. Being a noob, I was very careful about figuring out what happened - waited a minute to make sure it wasn't a hangfire, then dropped the mag and ejected the round. I even went so far as to make sure light was coming through the barrel (no, not by pointing it at my face) to be sure there wasn't an obstruction, even though the round clearly hadn't fired, haha. Anyway, the primer was marked, and looked a bit lighter than normal. Ammo was Freedom Munitions 165gr reman. It was the second to last round in the mag, though I doubt that matters. After trying to think of any reason why it would be a bad idea, I re-loaded the round and it fired just fine (except that it didn't hit exactly where I was aiming, but most of my rounds seem to do that ;)).

So my questions are:

(1) What is the normal procedure for this kind of failure to fire? The information I had at the time was: I pulled the trigger, I heard a noise that could have been a squib-like "pop," it didn't go bang, I was using remans, and the LCI was up. As I mentioned, I'm still getting used to handling a firearm, so a quick tap/rack/bang would have made me uncomfortable (plus I wanted to know exactly what happened), but would that be the norm? Would the LCI be up in case of a squib, since the casing is still in there?

(2) I assume it was probably an ammo issue, considering I'm using remans, but I haven't had an issue with the 200ish rounds from Freedom Munitions I've fired so far. I'm also pretty careful to keep oil away from the striker channel, but again - I'm a noob, so I could have messed it up. In my shoes, would you clean the striker channel just to be safe? After all, it is my only firearm at this point (and hence my HD gun). Never detail stripped a gun before, but I'm mechanically inclined and good with the YouTubes.

(3) If it were a squib, would the slide usually try to cycle? It didn't in this case, obviously.

(4) Is there any reason not to fire the lightly-stricken round in this case? I couldn't think of any reason, but I defer to the wisdom of people with more than a month and a half of firearm experience :D

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Your caution is applauded! Too many of us would have just done a Tap!Rack!Bang! in that scenario...your uncertainty kept you safe sir...

Likely, its a ammo defect...I am not a fan of Freedom's reman'd ammo...I have seen too much BS involving their shoddy QC, though your particular predicament is very minor...

Light primer strikes are usually indicative of a slightly harder primer surface than usual--however, sometimes it can be caused by a failure of the slide to return fully into battery, due to a flawed case, bad Overall Length or in some cases limp-wristing; In your case I wager it was either a hard primer or failure to fully return to battery...

Double-dipping a light strike is a back and forth thing with me...I handload 99% of the ammo I shoot, I am very cautious about the process so when I have it happen, I re-engage the striker by pulling the slide back just enough to recock and give the round another tap...99.99% of the time it goes bang...I have had a grand total of 1 round out of the close to 12,000 I have loaded that just never went bang (bad primer) and it was literally less than a week ago...
Caution is a good idea, if you aren't sure or comfortable, one round discarded in the grand scheme of things is insignificant compared to destroying a pistol or your hand...

If it happens again, then a detail strip is not a terribly bad idea; Ensure that the stiker channel is clean and free of debris....do not lube it!!!! i made this mistake and several fellars here corrected me, that oil in the striker channel attracts dirt and can cause mucho problemos!!

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
1. a few seconds would suffice for wait time, but at the range you drop the mag and rack the slide, inspect the bore. in a combat condition, if you don't have that muscle memoryed for that inspection, it could cost you. good job!

2. Could have been ammo, kinda doubt it though... I would clean the channel with gun scrubber.

3. depends on how bad. if it was just a primer and no powder, the slide likely wont move at all, but the bullet will surely separate from the case and into the rifling a bit. you will need to pound it out, which is why a think wooden dowel should be in your range bag.

4. I'd try to shoot it again, provided there was no bullet set back. Most times they'll go boom but after two tries, I chalk it up as a genuine dud and disassemble it.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Be sure not to put lube/oil in the firing channel. Being striker fired ,it could fill up some of the channel and either slow/stop the firing pin's movement.
We had a shooter at an IDPA match using a XD SC 40 that did it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just had the same thing a week ago with a "new" round from Freedom Munitions. First one after several hundred rounds from them (.45 ACP). After checking everything out, ran it back through with no problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just as an update, I've gone through at least another 200 rounds from the same Freedom Munitions shipment without issue.

Unless you are from Utah, you are the second person I have heard have a squib from Freedom Munitions recently.
I'm not from Utah. Mine wasn't a squib either, the primer didn't ignite at all... once it did, the round fired just fine. Still pleased with Freedom's remans, considering the $0.22/round price.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just as an update, I've gone through at least another 200 rounds from the same Freedom Munitions shipment without issue.

I'm not from Utah. Mine wasn't a squib either, the primer didn't ignite at all... once it did, the round fired just fine. Still pleased with Freedom's remans, considering the $0.22/round price.
.............................................I've had good luck using there remans ....Cheap practice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts