Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have tactical lights attached to their XD-40, could you let me know what kind (make and model) that you would recommend? I am using my XD-40 for home defense.

Thanks and best regards,

Marc

·
Registered
142 Posts
I use the M3 and if I would buy another, I would buy the Surefire X200. No problems with the M3, but the Surefire one seems more durable.
XML for subcompact.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've had an M5 (for S&W autos) for years, and it has been fine. I just bought a Glock light for my XDs. It is the only product I've ever seen from Glock that I liked.

I like the way it fits on the gun. Looks like it grew there. Matches the finish perfectly.

I haven't shot the gun with the light on it yet, so I can't comment on the durability, etc.

I do much prefer the lights with a rocker switch rather than a pressure pad. Some of the Surefires have pressure pads to stick on the guns frame. I have several Surefire flashlights, and they are first rate. But I'm not sure I like the design on their handgun mounted lights.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a .40 caliber XD service and I have both an M3 and an x200.
My first light was the m3 due to price, it cost me right about $90 for the light, batts and an extra bulb. The x200 i recently acquired for $200 (I paid no tax or shipping) and it came with batts and mounting hardware for picatinny rails and a mount for 'universal' rails (your XD/glock/etc).

I've fired about 250 rounds of target load thru my shotgun with my M3 attached and about 100 rounds of UMC ammo thru my XD with the M3 attached. After all this shock and vibration it still functions like the day i purchased it.

I like the M3 a lot, the adjustable beam is nice and i have one of the pad-type switches that i use with my shotgun and stock rotary for my XD. My only concern about the M3 is it's water resistance as it is a plastic housing. I know it's not a huge deal when thinking of a home-defense situation, however, i carry mine when i hunt and sometimes this becomes an issue. The x200 is water resistant to 30 meters and features a sealed metal housing. i'm not entirely comfortable with the x200's momentary-on style of switch yet. it's a push-forward motion which is a bit odd to get used to at first as the M3's is a push up for momentary, down for constant. Both are about the same size, the x200 being slightly smaller, so any holster that will hold your XD with an M3 will hold your XD with an x200.

The beam from the x200 is at least 2.5x brighter than the M3 and both are rated for the same battery life, about 1 hour continuous. after the one hour for both, the lumens rating falls off and it's recommended that you change the batts.

I think that you'd be more than pleased with both, however, if you have the cash i'd shoot for the x200.

I'll try and dig up a digital camera so you can see them mounted, both fit very nicely on the service model.

best of luck with your decision,

-Chris

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have the M-3 and the M-6...I use the M-6 over the M-3, all the time....I like the idea of having a laser and a flashlight.....I shoot with mine attached all the time for Qaulifications, and that is every qaurter, and I have been carrying a Xd for 1 and 1/2 years now....I have never had a problem....

I do though after every shoot, clean the lens of the M-6.....

Very durable product....there are many other police officers I know whom also carry them, and I have heard of no problems.

I do wish they would come out with a re-chargeable one.....Those batteries can get expensive....Once someone notices you have one, they will want to play with it!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
83 Posts
i have an m6 on mine also... the only problem i've had is the spring thing that keeps it on the gun seems to be getting weak...

·
Registered
580 Posts
i use an m3 because money was an issue at the time i bought it. i like the temporary on/constant on options. someone around this forum has a picture of the xd with the surefire nitrolon style tac light on it. looks nice too.

i've never tried to the x200 one, but a buddy of mine has it on his kimber TLE...and he swears god himself made it. :)

i like the M3.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I bought an M-6 Tactical Laser/Light combo for my XD. Great light, durable, dependable. They cost about 250 to 300 but check constantly on ebay, they go like candy on there. I bought mine for 210 and he paid shipping. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts