Springfield XD Forum banner

Light for XD?

3K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Arnisandyz 
#1 ·
I'd really like to have a rail mount light for my 4" XD, but not interested in paying obscene prices for it.

Suggestions?

#5 ·
You don't want to attach anything cheap to the end of your weapon do you? Absolutely no offense intended! Pistol-Gear has them for the best price I've seen and they will ship it to you faster than you can track it online. If you want a cheap flash-light buy a cheap flash-light. If you want a light for you pistol rail buy a good one. If you ever need it, you'll thank yourself a thousand times over!

#10 ·
I did a "ghetto" style mount on my AR15 with a Surefire light. Worked great.

The Glock light was retailed to me at the local shop for about $90. Fits and looks great on my XD Tactical. The finish even matches the frame. Haven't used it much, but Glock doesn't usually build things that break easily.

#11 ·
I have the Surefire X200 weapon light and I love it. It has a bluish light to it though, not the standard white light but it is very bright. Kinda looks like the HID lights on the newer BMW's. The price is alot higher I gave 198.00 for mine but it will last my lifetime. The light is worth it for a good gun. if u want a cheap light get a maglight.

#12 ·
I'll second the notion of $100 being waaaay too much to spend on a freaking flashlight which you will probably use once or twice in your lifetime. I'm going to rig something and get back with pics.

It would be nice to have something boresighted, but I have seen a wrist-mounted light that looked slick and could be made for $25 or less.

#13 ·
All depends on quality. The nice thing about a Surefire/Insight is that it fits the gun so that controls are right where they should be and more importantly, they are specifically designed to handle the recoil of a pistol. I tried using the "ghetto" idea a long time ago with a standard flashlight and the recoil from the first round fired broke the bulb.

You would be better off just not mounting the flashlight on the gun and just using it with the Rogers technique in your offhand.

#14 ·
verm brings up a good point. a standard flashlight isn't engineered for recoil of a weapon and the filament in a regular bulb will blow out after the first shot from your gun leaving you in the dark with your maglite duct taped to your barrel/frame/whatever. the gun has a rail. use it. now i'm not made of money but i saved and ponied up the 89.00 for an M3, it works real well and i'm glad i got one. while you're saving up just keep a regular flashlight handy.........my .02c................... :D

#15 ·
Your right about not using the surefire/insight for a couple of times in your lifetime, but if you do use it in a real situation it will work and save your life. Where the mag or jimmy rig might not. Do you want to take the chance? Better to use Roger tech. with a Surefire 6P. I got one and paid 35.00 bucks on sale and it's very bright. I added the 120 lumens bulb, you will blind someone and then pistol whip them rather than shooting them. If you had to or not?

#17 ·
I tried using the "ghetto" idea a long time ago with a standard flashlight and the recoil from the first round fired broke the bulb.

Might not be such a bad thing. Turn the ghetto light on to ID the target, when target is aquired blast away. The bulb blowing out will hide your position should he return fire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.