Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a box of Cor-bon ammo that I have had put away for about 7 years. Is this stuff still good? It's been stored indoors but not in an airtight box such as an ammo can.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It should be safe to test out. I believe moisture can make ammo go bad so if there was possible dampness in the air it could be bad. When my grandfather died my dad got his .22 rifle and ammo. We had problems everytime we shot it and the ammo was over 10 years old. I never got around to trying new ammo in it but I think that may have been the problem because we had it checked by a gunsmith and was said to be fine.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ammo will last a looong time if properly stored. I routinely shoot .44mag and 30-06 that my Dad loaded in 1981. That would make it almost 25 years old and it still looks good and shoots great. Just as good over the chronograph as reloads I made within the last year with similar powder loads.

As long as it was stored indoors and not stored by a humidity source (root cellar, hot tub, etc) I would say 30+ years would not be unreasonable. Also, I would specualte that modern powders will only do a better job than their older counterparts in terms of retaining their chemical properties in the long haul. I like to think that ammo I store away now (assuming it doesnt get shot :twisted: ) would be safe for my grandson to shoot in 50 years.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have shot alot of ammo that is way older then me with reliability and not so great storage. If stored in a sealed ammo can with a desicant pack it will last your lifetime.

7 years on your shelf aint no thing. it should be fine

·
Registered
415 Posts
There is rimfire .45 from the mid 1800's that people pay BIG money for. That stuff still fires.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
If it smells rancid or begins to develop a rainbow-like patina, toss it.

:lol:

Seriously, its probably fine. If you really are concerned, just use it up at the range instead of loading it for personal defense.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
LOL..my grandpa, before he died, gave my dad a 410/.22 that my dad hunted with as a kid, my dad is 61 now. With the gun, he handed him a box of shells. He said he didnt know if they would fire or not. I asked my grandpa how old they were (they were paper) and he said, "well, thats the box of shells I bought with the gun, back in...." :shock:
I loaded one in, closed my eyes and pulled the trigger...BLAM!!!! Worked just fine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
1-XD9er said:
I've got a box of Cor-bon ammo that I have had put away for about 7 years. Is this stuff still good? It's been stored indoors but not in an airtight box such as an ammo can.

"1-XD9er",

I have stored ammo that's a good 15 years old and it still goes bang! As long as it's in a dry cool place it'll last. If you talking anything beyond my figures then I can't say.

Mail Clerk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts