Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever heard of any life expectancy on the XD? 30,000 rounds? 50,000rounds? Any estimates? I can't find any info on it. Just curious as I have recently seen the HK Mark 23 Expectancy to be estimated at over 30K rounds of +P. Kinda sparked my curiosity...

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
XDs have a lifetime warranty. Anything you wear out SHOULD(?) be replaced. But think about it, how many pistols have YOU ever worn out in your lifetime? Very few individuals have ever worn out a pistol, and most of them are competitive shooters and wouldn't care.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tried to get some info from SA about amory maintainence and finally got to the big guy.
Cutting it short, He claims a rental range has 250k rounds through an KD40sub with 2 recoil spring changes!!!!!

He didn't know what ammo, but I'm sure it was cheap.
He did mention the lifetime warranty.

I suppose anyone who puts +p or reloads hot will probably suffer the same fate as the glocks front frame rail cracking due to the recoil stress.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks tgiint. I've been waiting for 2 months for someone to tell me something other than the obvious. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I don't think anyone can wearout a modern handgun if it is taken care of. Clean it and lube it, change springs every now and then, and you will have a gun that you can give to your grand kids.

·
Registered
27 Posts
shooting times did a 5000 round torture test with a .357 XD. The accuracy did not vary by more than 0.37 inch. At the end they took it all apart and the recoil spring was in the soft end of the margin, but still within spec. The .357 caliber was picked because the recoil and slide velocity were the most brutal on the polymer frame compared to the 9mm or .40
{EDIT}ha ha, OK editied my late night typo.

·
Registered
556 Posts
u8o0 said:
shooting times did a 5000 round torture test with a .357 XD.
What are they calling a "torture test?" Was this just 5,000 rounds shot as quickly as possible, or were they "abusing" it by dropping it, drowning it, running it over, etc?

u8o0 said:
The .357 caliber was picked because the recoil and slide velocity were the most brutal on the polymer frame compared to the 9mm or 40mm
40mm?! Wow, where can I get one of those!

Actually, one day I'd like to own a 40mm grenade launcher one of these days.

-James

·
Registered
68 Posts
tgiint said:
Tried to get some info from SA about amory maintainence and finally got to the big guy.
Cutting it short, He claims a rental range has 250k rounds through an KD40sub with 2 recoil spring changes!!!!!

He didn't know what ammo, but I'm sure it was cheap.
He did mention the lifetime warranty.

I suppose anyone who puts +p or reloads hot will probably suffer the same fate as the glocks front frame rail cracking due to the recoil stress.
Ruger does the same thing with range rental guns.Over 200,000 rounds and still well with in the tolerance of a new gun.No suprise that an XD will go that far and more.

Ed

·
Registered
32 Posts
G&A Handgun mag did a 20,000 thousand round toture test. Thaey did the Glock USA 1,000 round torture test after they fired 17,000 rounds through the XD 9mm. At 7,000 rds they dropped it on concrete loaded and threw it off a 100 foot cliff. At 10,000 rds the cocking indicator broke off. There was no change in function. They froze the XD 9 for a week, thawed it, fired 150 rds 0 malfunctions. They buried it and covered it in all kinds of different dirt fired 500 rds 0 malfunctions. Sand did slow the slide down a little bur no malfunctions or stoppage. They caked it in nasty gritty mud, fired 100 rds, 0 malfunctions. They submerged it in water 10 separate times firing 10 rds after each, 0 malfunctions. They chemically degreased the XD 9 and fired 150 rds, 0 malfunctions. Shooting champion Mike Dalton parked his truck on the XD 9 and then drove over it several times, fired 150 rds, 0 malfunctions. fired the remaining 1,400 rds after all that, 0 malfunctions.

source: Guns & Ammo Handguns June/July 2005 Vol. 19 number 3

·
Registered
10 Posts
godpartii said:
Anyone ever heard of any life expectancy on the XD? 30,000 rounds? 50,000rounds? Any estimates? I can't find any info on it. Just curious as I have recently seen the HK Mark 23 Expectancy to be estimated at over 30K rounds of +P. Kinda sparked my curiosity...
Springs may get tired 50-100K and barrel about the same time.
Looking at the quality of the pistol, I think your xd will be around longer then you. I've yet to wear out a good quality pistol.
For example, a friend bought his S&W M29 44mag in the mid 70's. Pistol still looks good and still shoots good after thousands of hot 44 mag rounds. How did he do it? Good cleaning after every shooting plus it's a darn good pistol.
An auto takes a little more abuse but you get my drift.

My xd 40 seems to love 950fps 180gr loads. The recoil spring is just right for heavier loads.

My choice of lube for the xd is TW-25B.

·
Premium Member
10,575 Posts
It does not wear out. It has a lifetime warranty.

Ed

·
Registered
245 Posts
It is the opinion of this armourer that we can expect the XD to last 500,000 rounds:

"Back to the XD....from a professional standpoint and that of the AGA (American Gunsmithing Association) many feel that the XD will turn out to be a serious winner. But Springfield does not have the marketing and the $ of Herr Glock. If you ever get a chance to compare the slides side by side...do so! The mass of parts and strength of springs will be obvious to anyone but what won't be obvious will be the engeneering genious (seriously) of the XD striker concept. This one will be a 500,000 round pistol! This will be a winner."

http://www.packing.org/news/article.jsp/6129/

That surprises me. But I hope he's right. (Maybe Leibster will agree to spend a year and half running 500,000 rounds through his XD9 for his next article.)

-Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
godpartii said:
With the XD frame and design built to take the force of the .40 and .357, I suspect my new Tac9 to run for a VERY long time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What a great thread! I have wondered how long that polymer frame would last with such a small amount of steel rails holding on the slide... Good to know I was worrying over nothing! :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
At the Tactical Shooting Academy class I was just at, when my 1911 when down and the instructor lent me his XD9Tact. I fell in love. I had never shot one or held and XD before. His had over 20k rounds through it and it was absolutely the most accurate handgun in my hands I have ever fired. Clearing 8" plates off the rack at 16 yards was no problem for this old man of 52. I was so impressed I bought a Tactical and 4" service.
The point, his with 20k was as accurate as my out of the box new one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ya never know...

When the FBI's HRT shot High Powers, they usually went about 50,000 rounds before they were "worn out" according to some guy at Novak's I talked to in the early 90s.

It wasn't unusual for the FBI's alloy framed SIG 9mms to crack a frame under 10,000 rounds. The US Secret Service wore out P228s w Rem 115 +P+ ammo at around 15,000 rounds. When the Army tested the SIG P226 in the M9 trials, two guns broke frames under 7,000 rounds. Some folks claim the USN SEALS get over 100,000 from the P226. SIG claims the FAM have 229s in 357SIG w over 50,000 rounds on them. The USMC has M1911s with over 500,000 rounds on the frames.

Routine testing w M9s shows slides are averaging about 75,000 rounds now, much more than when tested in the late 80s.

CorBon claims over 400,000 rounds through a Glock 17 and 250,000 rounds through a Ruger GP100. The Illinois State Police has worn out some Glock 40s around 30,000 rounds. The CHP has some S&W 4006s w over 100,000 rounds through them.

The bbl, slide and locking block on the XD sure look tough enough to go a long way, and if they wear out/break they are easy enough to replace in the same frame/gun and keep going.

I know of a HK MP5 with over 250,000 rounds through it. Just about everything but the serial numbered frame has been replaced at least once; is it still the same gun? ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts