Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, visiting my dad, i have learned that he has always wanted a old lever action rifle, like the ol marlin 30-30. what do you guys sudjest? his birthday is in feb. and i would like to suprise him. i know nothing about lever action, what do you recomend? price is an issue, cant be more than 500 (so, obviously used is probably going to happen.)

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have several lever rifles. I particularly like the Marlin 336 in 30-30 and the Winchester 94 in .32 Special. I also have each of the models in .22 caliber which are great plinkers. Either way they are both good choices and readily available either new or used.

The one thing to consider is that Winchester is top ejecting so mounting a scope becomes a problem. It can be done however with side mounted brackets.

I find that the Winchesters jam more often than the Marlins, although its not much of a problem. It rarely happens and is quickly cleared.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I have several lever rifles. I particularly like the Marlin 336 in 30-30 and the Winchester 94 in .32 Special. I also have each of the models in .22 caliber which are great plinkers. Either way they are both good choices and readily available either new or used.

The one thing to consider is that Winchester is top ejecting so mounting a scope becomes a problem. It can be done however with side mounted brackets.

I find that the Winchesters jam more often than the Marlins, although its not much of a problem. It rarely happens and is quickly cleared.
I agree. I had a Win. .30/30 and it had FTL problems and the top ejection made me glad I also had a Marlin. I sold the Winchester for a little profit.
The Winchester seems to hold its value better but the design of the Marlin, in my opinion, is far better.

He'll love it.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Not to tick anyone off,.....
But, a scope on a lever gun just is not right.

I prefer the Henry Repeating Arms, .357 Big Boy.

Of the Marlin vs Winchester,......
Tough call. I like the lines and style of the Winchester better.
The Marlin is a better tool.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Can't go wrong with a 30/30 lever action....traded my Marlin model 30 a few weeks back for a deal I just couldn't pass up. I've had my eye on a lever action in either 45-70 or a lever action in a pistol caliber....

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
If I were gonna scope it, I'd go Marlin 336. If not, I'd go Winchester 94

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I had a Henry Golden Boy in .22 mag and it was an awesome rifle. I'm looking to buy the Big Boy soon. IMO, can't go wrong with a Henry or a Marlin.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I guess I'm gonna buck the trend here and say to look for an old Winchester model 94. Also those new Mossberg 464's are pretty sexy looking rifles too, pretty much the same thing as a model 94. I feel like the model 94 balances alot better and is more of a natural pointer for me, YMMV.

Besides, its not really a lever gun if there's a scope on it ;)

·
Registered
514 Posts
All told I have Winchesters model 94 in 32 Special, their 9422, (Which I think is as pretty a rifle as I've seen, a Marlin 336 in 30-30, a Marlin Golden 22 cal. and lastly, a Marlin model 1892 in 32 long colt.

The 1892 is over a hundred years old and is still a blast to shoot. You can actually see the bullet in flight as it is so large and slow, but when it hits there is a big SPLAT!:D

Lever actions add a touch of nostalgia as well as being fun to shoot. None of my levers are newer than 1977.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was planing on getting my dad's winchester 3030 and was wondering how good and reiable are they? I never hunted in my life and wanted to go one one. Also wanted to know what game I can take down with it? and the distances it can shoot? And I'm particuliar haven't it without a scope.

·
Registered
33 Posts
30/30 will take everything on the american continent.
Could look for something 44/40. Winchesters are getting hard to find and expensive.
A cousin has used his trapper 30/30 with 16in barrel to get quite a few moose and bear. He has gotten them out to 200 yrds with it. Never jammed on him yet.
A lever action has to moved with athuority or it will jam.
It is one of the rifle my dad would like to get.
I have a marlin in 45/70 and it is a hoot to shoot.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Go for something differant, A Savage Model 99 in .300 Savage with a Williams receiver sight is a great gun that will be far more accurate than either a Marlin or Winchester in a calliber that is just short of the .308 Winchester and you can use spitzer bullets because of either the original rotary magazine or later detachable mag. Buck the trend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts