Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of thoughts:

#1 Any chance of adding a "Lever Action Rifles" catagory to the "long gun" section?

#2 I am debating between two lever action rifle calibers. The tried and true .45-70 or the .454 Casull. What are your thoughts on how these compare? The .45-70 is by Marlin. The .454 is by Puma. It would be for dangerous game (big bears!) hunting.

Chapie+

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
My son has a Marlin in 450. It has a modern casing that is shorter then a 45-70, but with the same balistics.

For bear contry I use either my 44mag Puma or one of my 12ga's

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My son has a Marlin in 450. It has a modern casing that is shorter then a 45-70, but with the same balistics.

For bear contry I use either my 44mag Puma or one of my 12ga's
I haven't shot (or handled) the .450 Marlin. I would like to get a lever .44 mag. Do they make one in stainless for back / humid country work?

Chapie+

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I haven't shot (or handled) the .450 Marlin. I would like to get a lever .44 mag. Do they make one in stainless for back / humid country work?

Chapie+

I don't know about a stainless one. I will do some research. You might want to concider getting one hard chromed.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know about a stainless one. I will do some research. You might want to concider getting one hard chromed.
I found a couple of stainless .44 mag lever action rifles - Marlin and Rossi. The Rossi can be had in either 16" (8+1 shots) or 20" (10+1 shots). The Marlin is available with a 20" bbl and 10 shots. Here is the link to the Marlin: Marlin Model 1894SS

Here is the link to the Rossi

Rossi USA=

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I have Marlin 1894s in 357 and 44 mag and LOVE them!

In fact, the 44 is my favorite "ranch ATV gun" because i can load it hot with 44 mags and shoot deer or pigs or load it light with 44Spl cowboy loads and take out raccoons, skunks and other smaller varmints with ease.

I also have a 336 30-30 Marlin, two Winchester 94 30-30s and a Savage 99 in 243. You could say that I love lever actions!

Dad has the 45-70 Marlin 1985 and it too is a very good shooter. Not as bad on your shoulder as you would think and kills pigs like lightning.

I'd go Marlin over puma...but we're biased! LOL

- brickboy240

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I recently did alot of looking for a good lever action to take on a pig hunt. I ended up with a Marlin 336 in .30-30. I know that round is not a bear stopper but I just needed something for medium to small pigs and that round is still chep to buy.

I thinkt he Marlin is superb quality compared to alot of other lever guns but the action was not totaly smooth the way I felt it should be. Most people would probably find it fine but I ended up doinging some stoning and polishing and now Im very happy.

I think I would go with a .450 or .45-70 over a .454

·
Registered
567 Posts
An awful lot of guides in Alaska swear by the 45-70 Marlins. That's a pretty good endorsement for a dangerous game stopper. In my experience, they are more accurate than many bolt actions and there are boucoup accessories available for them.

The 45-70 cartridge also has the advantage of being available with bullets far heavier than those in the 454. A heavier bullet, given similar construction, will penetrate deeper than a lighter one in similar calibers. The 45-70 also shoots slightly flatter, making it easier to connect at longer range.

Now, if you already have a 454 handgun, or plan on getting one, go with the Puma in that caliber. (Ammunition commonality= goooood...) With heavy cast bullets, the Casull is a serious thumper and I would not feel undergunned anywhere in the world packing one. I have two stainless Puma rifles, one in 45 Colt and one in 357 Magnum. My wife and I use them in Cowboy Action Shooting competition and they are durable and (with a little 'smithing) slicker than snake snot on a glass doorknob. I have also won a couple long range side matches with the 357, shooting a short chunk of gas bottle hung at 150 yards, offhand with open sights, so accuracy is just fine for a lever gun with a design dating back 118 years.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I've got a Rossi/Puma in 45 colt with a 16 inch bbl and a Marlin Guide gun in 450 Marlin mag

I love both and the Puma is very quick to the shoulder and has a reasonably short stroke so it' fast on repeats too

For the big hammer, the Guide Gun is hard to beat. Acuracy is silly for a lever gun and it out shoots several bolt guns I have/have had

I run a 400grn lead FP at +/-1600 FPS for a knock around load that is easy on the arm.

For the real heavy stuff the Hornady loads for it are insane but will punish you after 6-10 rounds.

The 45-70 is probably a more common load but I think the 450 Marlin edges it out for power, but at that level who could really tell anyway?
The 45-70 IS a more published load for reloading for sure.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
For wild pigs, I have shot them with the 30-30 and it works really well. So does the 44 magnum out of my Marlin 1894, with the 240gr soft point factory ammo. Both rounds put piggies down really fast.

The 45-70? Well, Dad has one and its fun and accurate but for small to medium pigs, its not really necessary. Sure, he has killed some 200 plus pound pigs with the 405gr soft point factory loads but again...I cold have dropped them with the 30-30 or 44 to be honest.

The 45-70 does have more recoil and its very expensive to shoot if you don't handload. Unless you are going after bears, moose or some other really huge game...I'd skip it.

Besides, the really big pigs are NOT better for eating. Stick with pigs at or under 200 pounds and you'll like the meat much better.

From "lever-gun distances" we have killed pigs with the 30-30 and 44 magnum many times. The SKS in 7.62x39 also works very well as a pig gun. Another inexpensive rifle that people around here use for pigs are the Yugo 8mm Mausers and the M-44 Russian Nagant rifles. They have plenty of power to take down pigs...or deer if you need it. Sometimes those surplus rifles can be had for 100 bucks or less.

So if you run across an affordable Marlin 336 in a pawn shop in 30-30 or even 35 Remington....grab it. For wild pigs, they are perfect, if you ask me.

The 454s, 45-70s and other large bore leverguns are neat...but not really necessary for whitetails or wild pigs. They also cost more and are harder on your shoulder...why bother?

Another thing to consider is that every Wal Mart and general store in small town America carries 30-30 ammo. 45-70 or 454....probably not.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
567 Posts
Brickboy, I don't believe the original post contained anything about pigs or whitetails...he specifically mentioned dangerous game (big bears).

The 30-30 is not a big bear gun.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
True....but others asked about shooting deer or pigs.

Yes, if you must go with the big bore lever action...I'd probably go with the 45-70 Marlin or maybe the 444.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
The 44 magnum out of a lever gun is actually very pleasant. Moreso than most 30-30 loads, if you ask me.

Unless you get into the 300gr XTPs or hotter heavy 44 mag loads...most average 44 mag loads in the 180-240gr range factory loads are easily controllable out of a Marlin or Winchester lever gun.

The 357 mag is even lighter on the shoulder. The hottest 357 loads out of my Marlin 357 levergun have the recoil of a 410 shotgun.

38 Specials out of the 357 rifle or 44 Specials out of the 44 mag rifle have almost no recoil at all and are as loud as a firecracker. My daughter used to shoot both of these loads out of my Marlins back when she was 8 years old!

- brickboy240

·
Registered
29,864 Posts
I've got a Rossi/Puma in 45 colt with a 16 inch bbl and a Marlin Guide gun in 450 Marlin mag

I love both and the Puma is very quick to the shoulder and has a reasonably short stroke so it' fast on repeats too

For the big hammer, the Guide Gun is hard to beat. Acuracy is silly for a lever gun and it out shoots several bolt guns I have/have had

I run a 400grn lead FP at +/-1600 FPS for a knock around load that is easy on the arm.

For the real heavy stuff the Hornady loads for it are insane but will punish you after 6-10 rounds.

The 45-70 is probably a more common load but I think the 450 Marlin edges it out for power, but at that level who could really tell anyway?
The 45-70 IS a more published load for reloading for sure.
I've also got a 1895M in .450; I'd take it against anything that walks on land.

I call 'er "Thumper"

My "Big Medicine" round is a 400gr WFNGC over 59gr of AA2460...it has some...authority.

Although--I've heard rumor that Marlin is going to put out a .500 S&W levergun...if they do, I would seriously have to consider one.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Just ordered 2 Henry Golden Boys 22LR, for my twin grandsons. Having matching serial numbers, then going to have their names, engraved on the receivers. After looking, and handling, Henrys, considering buying another in a 45/70, for myself. I'm real impressed with their triggers, not bad pull for a lever rifle.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts